*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1406858-The-Dreamers
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1406858
Former muse is demoted in Las Vegas. Re-written beginning see Dream Collector, in my port
When my alarm went off, I was wide awake and had been that way for a few hours. It was always this way before I started a new assignment. This was my third new case in as many months. In case you are wondering, I am a Dream Collector Class Three, assigned to the Las Vegas, NV. area . What is that you ask? Well, short version, I hang out while people are asleep and collect their dreams and hopes for further study. If it's decided that the dream is a worthwhile one and the dreamer has a chance to achieve their dream, then I go back and give them a nocturnal assist. My last assignment was a man hoping to marry the girl of his dreams. Unfortunately, during the review, it was discovered that his "girl" had very different dreams, which involved her next door neighbor and a bottle of chocolate syrup and a can of whip cream. Her dream needed no assist and his was placed in the "Not Going to Happen "file. On my last visit to him I caught him dreaming about what he would like to happen to his now ex-girlfriend and her neighbor. That meant he needed to be reassigned to a Class Two to handle the violent parts of his dream.

I have been a D.C.C.3 for the past year and was becoming thoroughly tired of the mediocre clients I was handling. I wanted someone with big dreams and hopes. No more trailer park people looking to win "MegaBucks" when they didn't even bother to play the machines. You would think that Las Vegas would be a haven for dreamers but it seemed everyone had the same stupid dreams. Win money, stop working. That seemed to be the basis for most of the working stiffs I dealt with every night and day. Because this is Vegas, I was on call twenty-four hours a day. If one of my assignments worked nights and slept days, I had to be available to check in on them. My newest client file gave me no clues what to expect. Simply a name and a location, Matthew Logan, in Green Valley. I was scheduled to meet my supervisor in an hour and get the details on Matthew then.
While I got dressed and ready to leave for my appointment, I thought back to how I ended up in this position. I hadn't always been a D.C.C.3, I use to be a full- fledged Muse but after the Britney Spears disaster, I was re-classified. Who knew that the perky Disney star would fall off the porch swing the way she did? I mean, really, how was I to know she would start showing up sans panties and hanging out with Paris Hilton? But I refused to take the blame for the disaster that was Kevin and their ill-fated attempt at reality TV. There had been a mix up in Dream Collections that allowed Kevin's dream of marrying a pop star to come true and everything that followed should have rightly been laid at their door. But, no, I had "inspired" Britney since she was a mousekeeter and I was blamed for all that followed. So here I was, bumped down to Dream Collector and on probation for at least another year. What I wanted to know was when were my dreams going to come true?
© Copyright 2008 t.l.mcdonald (tlbmomx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1406858-The-Dreamers