*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408631-Happy-Holidays-vs-Merry-Christmas
Rated: 18+ · Article · Holiday · #1408631
The title says it all
Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas

So this years topic of controvery seems to be saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas"-seriously, this is the dumbest issue taking place in our country right now. But, if it is going to be talked about someone needs to state the truth, which is what I intend to do. Let me also note that it is my constitutional right to an opinion  and any religion I so choose if I deign to do so, it is also your constitional right to an opinion and the power to stop reading if what I say upsets you. I'll add one last thing before I get started: open your eyes and take a look around, we live in America, not everyone shares the view as you and the sooner you realize that, the better.
Someone saying to me "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" in no way offends me for three reasons, and they are as follows:
The first being the most obvious, but it is an idea that most American's cannot wrap their brains' around. The word holiday derives from "holy-day" so it still holds a Christian sentiment (for those who care). There are soliders fighting a war for your freedom (and I will not get into my views on the war-different topic for a different day) and freedom includes the right to any religion. The Bill of Rights first amendment states "Congress shall make no law as to an establishment of religion" which means that just because our president is a self proclaimed Christian does not mean that you have to be, which is, in fact the way it should be. Not everyone voted for him.
Second, it IS the "holiday season." Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, New Years, and a plethora of others take place between November and January- so why are people getting their panties in a bunch? Probably the same reason they say don't write "x-mas" in place of Christmas-why? Because it cuts out Christ. Well what if the person who wrote it does not believe in God? What if they use Christmas as an excuse to be off work and buy gifts for people? What if they are in a hurry and need to write shorthand?
Third, if this wonderful country of ours is all about freedom, why do you care? I'll tell you why, it's because Joe next door got mad about the greeting he received when he walked into Kroger and started his spill on it and since he is your friend you agree with him rather than forming your own opinion (this is where the downfall of America lies-not being able to think for one's self).
This is stupid. It is America, not the "holy land." Christians weren't the first ones here- Indians were, so why do the Christians get to make all the decisions? All races, creeds, and religions can thrive here. Poeple need to stop getting bent out of shape over those who are politically correct. Get off your pedastool, take a look around, and be happy that you are fucking spoiled and very lucky to live in America and not some Third World Country and get over yourself.
© Copyright 2008 VL Briggs (valerieb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1408631-Happy-Holidays-vs-Merry-Christmas