*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409391-Pounding-out-an-idea
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1409391
I'm writing a book offisite and this is an idea I had for a scene in the book.
He was laying in the bed, so peacefuly, just as he had been for the last four days. She was sitting at his bedside, just as she had for the last four days. Across the bed, also watching him was a friend of theirs. This time it was Brian's turn to sit with them all day. He had been sitting there with them since that morning and they watched as Jimmy's eyes moved under closed lids. She wondered what her husband was dreaming about. Could people in a coma dream?

"You do have the rings right?" Jimmy asked his brother, Marcus.
"Yes, don't worry," Marcus assured him, patting his older brother on the back.
"Where's Matt?"
"Right here, calm down," Matt said, coming into the room. "They're nearly ready for us. You ready to do this?"
"I better be, because in about 15 minutes, I'm going to standing up there, watching her walk down the aisle towards me," Jimmy said, rubbing his hands together. "Why am I so nervous?"
"I think that's normal," his friend Zach said. "I'd be nervous, too, since you're kind of signing your single life away."
"Can I have the groomsmen come with me, please?" Jimmy's dad said, coming into the room. "You, too, James."
"Alright," Jimmy said, taking a deep breath and hugging his friends. "Let's do this!"
Together they walked out of the room, Jimmy going over in his mind the vows he'd written with her. They liked the ones from the minister okay, but felt they could better profess their love in their own words. They gathered at the back of the church and Jimmy went up front to stand and wait.

"Last button!" Val said, standing. "If I ever get married, remind me to get a dress that zips in the back."
Leana laughed, as she put her veil on. She was nervous, but excited at the same time. In 15 minutes, she'd get to see the love of her life, whom she'd been sequestered from for two days while the wedding approached. They had decided to do something non-traditional and do pictures afterwards, so she hadn't seen him for that.
"Who's got my bouquet?" she asked, searching for the roses and baby's breath she'd chosen.
"Right here," Michelle said, handing her the flowers.
"It's time, ladies," Leana's mother said. She picked up her dress' skirt and walked with her bridesmaides to the back of the church. She took her father's arm as Val paired up with Matt, Lacey with Johnny, her cousin Becky with Marcus, and Michelle with Brian. Gena, as her assistant, made last minute adjustments to the dress, then went to sit with her boyfriend Zach, who had been Jimmy's assistant. Finally, the organ started playing and she watched as the pairs made their way up front, Brian and Michelle last.

The moment had finally come, as the organ started playing the fanfare and the guests stood. Jimmy shifted, watching the door and then, at last, there she was. Leana came down the aisle on her dad's arm. Her long, red hair was in ringlets and it cascaded down her neck and framed her face from the bun on her head. Her white dress, which fit her form until it flowed off her hips, sequins catching the sunlight streaming through the windows of the church. He smiled, watching her walk towards her. Once her father had released her, he turned and hooked his arm in hers, and they turned to the minister.
**

His eyes opened and he turned his head towards her and smiled. She looked at him, calling his name, seeing if he was awake yet. The smiled stayed, but his eyes closed again and she sighed. he was opening his eyes from time to time, but was staying stubbornly in the coma. Brian watched as he opened his eyes again and looked at Brian, then closed them.
"What do you think he's thinking when he does that?" Brian asked.
"I don't know, but I hope they're happy thoughts," she said, absently stroking his hand.
"I'm sure they are," Brian said, holding Jimmy's hand.
© Copyright 2008 Aightball (aightball at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409391-Pounding-out-an-idea