*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411830-Peaceful-Sleep
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1411830
Written for the Daily Flash 300 Word or less contest
Word Count: 298   

"Where is it?" I searched through the boxes of collected junk that had never been unpacked. I found old useless items like a single slipper and an old phone book. I also found an old purse with a few dollars in it and the title to a car that I thought I had lost. I tossed them aside, knowing that someday I would want them again, but I had to find what I was looking for now.  I moved from box to box searching and tossing. I finally came upon a wooden chest that was held closed by a wire clothes hanger where a padlock should be. I removed the hanger and lifted the lid and there it was, laying on the very top of the things that were stored inside. It was a green and pink stuffed lizard toy. It wasn’t very big, only about six inches long and the colors were fading.

         “Marissa, are you up there?” I heard my Mother calling from downstairs.

         “Yes Mom. I found it. You know Amanda could never go to sleep without her Lizzy.” I came down and showed her the lizard. She nodded understandingly and we headed out to her car.

    It wasn’t a far drive, but I wanted to get her the lizard as quickly as possible. I walked into the room and she was lying there looking like she was patiently waiting for her stuffed toy.  I tucked the lizard under her arm and kissed her cheek.

    My Mother put her hand on my back and I started to sob. “She can sleep now Marissa.” I took one last look at my beautiful 12 year old daughter, knowing that when they closed the lid on her coffin the light that filled my life would forever be gone.

© Copyright 2008 Sandals (sandals30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1411830-Peaceful-Sleep