*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1414655-A-New-Woman
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1414655
Woman on the verge of a mistake (based on a true story...)
A New Woman

The woman tried to climb over the bridge railing. She had two children on the ledge. What went through her mind? Defeat. She had let go and let him win. The man who abondoned her. The one who had promised forever only to be discovered in a web of lies and betrayal.

The woman continued to struggle to climb the railing. She couldn't seem to get on. Just then a stranger appeared.

"Excuse me, ma'am," he said, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No, uhm, I'm okay," she responded with her cheeks beginning to blush, "Thanks for offering."

"Okay, I'll just help you get the children down."

"Oh, uh, no, that's okay."

The man smiled at her and brought down the children anyway. Two young boys, no older than 6, looked at the man and smiled. The boys had been excited looking at the train depot below, not a thought had crossed their mind for what their mother had planned. The woman thanked the man and knelt down to hug her boys as the realization of what she had thought of doing sank in. She cried onto the shoulders of her young little men.

When the woman looked up the man was gone. She looked down both sides of the bridge and saw no one. She looked down at her boys and smiled. She was thankful for the angel who had just saved the lives of her boys.

She began her walk home to her other child. Her infant daughter had slept as the woman had left her with the neighbor. She would begin her life today. A new mother for her children. A new start for a new woman.
© Copyright 2008 ladymel (ladymel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1414655-A-New-Woman