*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1417734-House
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1417734
A scary story
I hated my parents more than most children ever thought to hate theirs. Mom had a job that made us move constantly, I had lived in eight different towns and gone to ten different schools. I hated moving around and after school number five I just stopped making friends. People didn't seem to like me very much any ways. I was considered weird. I wore red constantly and had a pet bat. His name was Apollo, my idea of dramatic irony.

So when mom announced we were moving again, I grumbled and groaned. Even though I knew there was nothing I could do but go along for the ride. We started out on the first of October. The sun was shining and there was not a cloud in the pale blue sky. The leaves flew by my window flashing fall colors: a dark red, a pale yellow, and a smooth orange with an occasional mixture reminding me that nothing lasts forever.

It was still early enough in the year to have green grass. The rain that we had gotten the day before had turned it a bright emerald green. I couldn't help but think how pretty it was out side my car window. Mom had told me that we were moving to a town about three hours south of Salem, Massachusetts. This upset me even more than usual, at least if we had moved to Salem I would have been able to look up the accurate local history of the town while we were there.

When we pulled up to the house I couldn't suppress the shiver that went through me. The house looked like something out of a bad horror movie. The shutters were peeling their paint and half falling off the house. The upstairs windows were broken out and the house looked like it was a dingy gray color that had probably been white at one point or another.

The grass had grown to be about a foot high and there were weeds sticking up through the cracks in the front walk. There was actually a dead tall tree sitting in the front yard with a tire swing attached that squeaked in the wind in an eerie sort of song.

As we went into the house the shiver again ran up my spine. The door creaked inward at such a slow pace that I thought we were truly in a scary movie. My first sight of the inside was if possible worse than the outside. Cobwebs and dust clung to everything. The furniture had white sheets covering it and the hallway had a chandelier that looked as if it still used candles. I looked around for a light switch and not seeing one turned a questioning glare towards my parents. They smiled but I could tell it was fake.

"This is only for a few weeks darling, the other house we bought still had occupants and they will be out soon. This house will work ‘til then." "Work?" This house wasn't even clean and I had a strong suspicion that there was no electricity which was proven when we started toting things in and I found an entire box of candles and flashlights.

I carried my stuff to the room they pointed out as mine and started cleaning. Dust flew as I wiped off the dressers and striped the bed remaking it with my own sheets. The bed was old beyond belief; the head board had distinct carvings and was a dark chocolate brown. I could tell the bed was real wood because despite being slightly faded it was still in pretty good condition.

The floor was wood as well and the dresser matched the bed perfectly. It would be beautiful if it had been clean. Dinner was quieter than usual as we all contemplated the night ahead. And as soon as it got dark we separated to our rooms to try to get some sleep.

I slept ok for about half the night. The thing about sleeping in a new bed room so often is it meant I could sleep just about anywhere. I was startled awake at about two in the morning though I couldn't figure out why and stumbled out of bed hoping to go to the bathroom and then go back to sleep. As I was walking past the mirror I happened to glance at it and screamed at the sight I saw there.

It was me but I wasn't right. My hair which was usual dyed a deep rich auburn was now its natural jet black color and the red pajamas I had worn that night where replaced by an old looking night gown. I stared at my reflection until my eyes blurred and I had to shut them to get them to clear. When I opened my eyes I was back to normal.

I stared at my reflection as if I was expecting it to turn at any moment. It stayed the same and I shrugged it off as a dream. Walking the rest of the way quickly to the bathroom, I avoided the mirror and did my business. But once that was done and I was washing my hands I looked up at the mirror and stood frozen in terror, a girl was standing just behind me.

Pale skin and eyes darker than coal, her black hair was loose and streaming down her back and her night gown was a dingy white. She stared at me with a smile that could make fear run through anyone's veins. She stepped forward and I wanted desperately to step back but couldn't move away from her transfixing glare. Finally I broke free and turned back towards the mirror. But once I had my back to her I stood transfixed by her reflection.

She came up behind me and put a hand on my shoulder, the back of her hand was cut up like she had been attacked and blood ran off it and dripped down my arm. I opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out. I felt my breath leaving my body as if her gaze was suffocating me.

I couldn't move or fight and then with my final breath I saw her twist my neck in the mirror and my body dropped uselessly to the ground as I continued to stand there. Blood dripped from my neck as a thousand cuts appeared. I went back into the bed room with her following and we sat in the chairs until my parents came at dawn. Calling my name as they came in, I wanted to answer but my voice had disappeared.

They went into the bath room and I heard my mothers' scream ring out as she found my body lying dead on the floor my throat bruised and cut to pieces and blood pooled under my head.

I was not the first victim of the house nor was I to be the last, each death was different each person killed by only one spirit. The room where we died was to be where we stayed we could not leave or speak. Eternally silent we killed those who entered our house for the urge to add to our ranks was too strong to ignore. Misery loves company and the house itself seemed miserable. Only one person in the entire house knew why though, but for the answers to your questions, you will just have to wait for her story.


© Copyright 2008 Kalina Shattered (emerald27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1417734-House