*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418752-Sarah-Ann
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1418752
Haunting little girl
"Look at all the pretty flowers!" said Mary as she jumped and clapped. The sunny spring day filled the glass greenhouse behind Jack and Mary's grandmother's house with joy. Sixteen year old Jack wore black, tight, skater pants and a red Famous shirt as he chased five year old Mary who wore a blue denim skirt and a white shirt around the greenhouse.

"Would you please stop running before you get hurt!" Jack demanded as he chased her around the bed of roses.

"Ha! Ha! You're a slow poke!" Mary ran. After a few minutes of Jack chasing Mary, Mary finally tripped over a small dolphin water fountain and began to cry.

"That's what your behind gets." Jack, out of breath, walked over to Mary to check on her.

"Shut up!" Mary in tears punched Jack in the knee as she stood up.

"Oh my god! I'm in pain! Someone please get a doctor!" Jack held his knee and acted sarcastically. "Stop crying before little Sarah Ann gets you." Jack looked at Mary evilly.

"Who's Sarah Ann?" Mary stopped crying and wiped her cheeks.

"Well Mary I'm glad that you asked." Jack knelled on one knee and grabbed Mary's right shoulder. "Before grandma ever bought this property, a sweet loving family lived here. A mother, father, and a little girl named Sarah Ann the same age as you.
While Sarah Ann's father was at work, Sarah Ann's mother and her would plant flowers and water them. Sarah Ann always played with her red ball and played with it everywhere she went, except the greenhouse. But, one day, when her father was at work and her mother was sick in bed asleep, she took her ball and played in the greenhouse. Sarah Ann happily played for hours until her ball hit the cabinet and a potted vase fell from the top and hit her on the head and she instantly died. She died in that corner over there where the cabinet use to be." Jack pointed at the corner as he pushed himself up.

"I'm scared!" Mary hugged Jack's left leg and began to shake.

"At night or during the day you can see and hear her play with her ball in the greenhouse. I really never seen her before, but I don't want to either." Jack pulled Mary off his leg.

"Is that Sarah Ann?" Mary pointed behind Jack with a weird look on her face.
"You... you trying to scare me? That's a joke! I've been scaring people since...." Jack stopped talking as heard the sound of a ball being bounced off the floor behind him. He slowly turned around as if he was in trouble by his parents and saw Sarah Ann solidly, skin pale white, wearing a light blue Sunday school dress with a light blue bow in her brown, long hair bouncing her red ball angrily. Jack pushed Mary out of the way and ran out of the greenhouse. Mary watched as her brother left her. When she turned her head back to Sarah Ann deliriously, Sarah Ann's skin was vibrant and she was smiling. Sarah Ann mercifully walked over to Mary and handed her the ball.

"You can have it." said Sarah Ann divinely. Sarah Ann walked into the wall beside Mary and vanished. Mary smiled greatly and ran quickly to the house.

"Grandma! I saw Sarah Ann in the greenhouse!" said Jack in a panic state to his grandma as she made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

"Boy!? Stop telling me them stories." Jack's grandma grabbed a plate and headed to the living room. The kitchen door flew open as Mary came in with the ball.

"Grandma! Look what Sarah Ann gave me!" Mary held the ball in the air. Mary's grandma speechless as she dropped her plate on the floor.
© Copyright 2008 afro_blkguy (afro_blkguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1418752-Sarah-Ann