*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420016-Short-story-about-Mongolian-doctor
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1420016
This is about a doctor, who lives in Ulaanbaatar, encountering a mysterious patient.
I must have been hallucinating. Few seconds ago, I saw a man kill a woman, on the side road. When I looked again, it disappeared; only a little girl was looking at me with gloomy eyes.  I felt my pulse and looked into the side mirror to see myself while driving through the Lion Bridge.

I reached my workplace, National Science Academy. My assistant, Ariunaa, was waiting for me on the front door. She dropped her cigarette and stepped on it when she saw me, and reached her hand for a handshake. "You have to see it yourself!" she said.

Sara is our subject no.20492. She is a troubled adolescent who has been abused by her alcoholic father, and a prostitute mother. She had been missing when her parents died in car accident. We first found her when one of my friends, a cop, caught her when she tried to rob a bank. "She slapped the cashier and demanded 100000₮". I found out later that she had traumatic fear reaction to slap people when she's frightened. She fights back!

My office looked like a cheap computer game room; small, and no air conditioning. But the electroencephalogram monitor was flashing and making loud noises. "She's been in REM sleep for 5 hours." Ariunaa said, "Sleeping like a lil' baby".

There she was in her room, lying on the bed on her side, showing her back to the door. I unlocked, walked in and checked her IBs. Suddenly, she opened her eyes and looked at me.

"How was your day?" I said.

"I'been daydreaming" she half whispered.

"Really? the equipment showed you were asleep" I thought, but couldn't say.

She smiled, and said
"I wasn't asleep, doctor. My imagination gomme outta here, carried me over the city, and to the Lion Bridge. I saw these people fighting."

I was shocked.

"Fighting's wrong... They 'ere bad people. I had to ... punish'em." She turned and laid on her back. Tears were flowing down her cheek.

"But how did you.. How can this be?" I said. My palm was getting sweaty. I felt in myself in a fight or flight mode.

"You were there, weren't you?" she raised her voice. "Why didn'tchu help them?"

I couldn't say a word as a feeling of guilt I have not felt for a long time rushed through me. I knew I had to say something but something was hindering me from doing it. I tried to remember what exactly happened. What I had seen near the Lion Bridge was not real! It disappeared suddenly.

"I wasn't there!" I said, sttutering. "You must have been dreaming ... or fantasizing."

She breathed heavily for a while. Then her arms went down and plugged off the IBs.

"Yunno what, doctor? Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm fantasizing." she said.

"Now I'm fantasizing about making your assistant blind, and then hypnotizing you to give me the key."

I heard my assistant scream outside the room. I tried to run to her, but Sara looked at me in the eye, and I noticed for the first time that she had very big eyes. Very big gloomy eyes...
© Copyright 2008 Goodshot (natso at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420016-Short-story-about-Mongolian-doctor