*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425440-Automatronics
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1425440
Robot topic for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge (300 word max)
Automatronics
(word count 297)

"Come in and have a seat. What is it you wanted to see me about?" Mr. Patterson gestured to a padded chair in front of his expansive desk as he walked over to the panoramic window that made up his outer office wall.

"It's the workers sir. They can't keep up with production demands. Absenteeism is way up and morale is suffering," the shift supervisor said. "That's not all. We're seeing more and more accidents. The work is becoming too physically difficult for the average man."

"I see," Mr. Patterson nodded knowingly.

Still facing out the window, he lit a cigar. "I suppose you have a plan."

"Yes sir. I think it's time to consider automatronics."

"Do you mean Robots?" The plant manager sounded surprised.

"Yes sir. Five robots can replace twenty men. They will pay for themselves in less than a year."

"Can these robots be programmed to do the detailed work we require? The ability to think on one's feet is important out there on the shop floor."

"Yes sir. Today's robots have come a long way. The more advanced ones can even do a minimal amount of autonomous thinking. Some of them even appear lifelike. Of course they will still need to be supervised. It is unlikely that robots will ever advance to the point where human controllers are not needed."

"Thank goodness for that," Patterson chuckled. "I will give your proposal some consideration and let you know my decision later in the week."

Now alone, Mr. Patterson entered his private washroom. By flipping hidden latches behind each ear, he was able to lift his face plate off. It was late in the afternoon and he needed to change to his 'five o'clock shadow' plate. After all, robots can't grow beards.

Not yet anyway.
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425440-Automatronics