*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425943-Bittersweet
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Teen · #1425943
Chapter 1: Tobi and Ice
    There are three things wrecking my mind right now; one, my brother and I just moved in town. Two, I have to attend school, and three we're Vampires.

Yes. We're Vampires. Creatures who drank blood, who have super abilities and other things. My brother isn't really my brother. He's just another Vampire who survived the war in the 1900's. So apparently, the two of us are a hundred or so years old.

Actually, my 'brother' is just a friend. I was searching some old forest many years ago to investigate some Vampire activity. Then I found him on the same forest with the same quest, and then we joined and helped each other out. We did find a Vampire, but unfortunately and fortunately, he bit us. He was dying and then he told us to save their kind and find the others.

When he bit us, we became unconscious and we woke up in a dark place. Then two pale persons greeted us with their gleaming sharp fangs.

Vampires.

They explained to us what happened. My companion and I couldn't quickly intake the words they have said but in time, we believed them when we suddenly felt hungry and they gave us blood. As we saw the thick liquid on the cups, we felt it. The need; we felt the need to drink it.

Finally, everything sunk in. We were officially vampires, I was seventeen back then and my companion was I think nineteen or twenty.

The two Vampires, who saved us, were Cynthia and Tim. After regaining our strength, they declared us dead to our families. They had a lot of connections so they just told our families that we drowned in the lake and our bodies were never found.

Since then, we lived in a grand palace. Where everyone had fangs and drank blood. They told us that a war is brewing between the Vampires and the humans who knew, usually priests.

We helped in the war but in the end, we lost and only a few of us were left alive and we were scattered all over.

Tobi and I luckily survived and we weren't separated.

Now, we just transferred from Bluedale town to this town called Blackslate. It rains here all the time.

We bought a house on a quiet street where only a few houses stood.

"Wow, it's nice." I smiled as I stepped out of our car.
"Yeah, it has five rooms and a big backyard." Tobi said.
He parked our black car on the garage then we entered the house. It was already fully furnished.

"School starts tomorrow so you better get ready." Tobi mentioned as he threw the car keys on the center table then threw himself at the sofa.

"How about you?" I asked as I entered the kitchen.
"I have work." He said.  I heard him stand up.

I sat at the chair and placed my hand on top of a circle dining table.

"What's the dining table for?" I asked.
"I wanted a normal house for once; one with things in it." Tobi said as he sat beside me.
"Ah.  Have you heard from anyone yet?" I asked.

He shook his head; his gaze was at the center of the round brown table.

"What are you thinking?" I asked as I noticed that his expression was dark and somewhat lost.
"Nothing much." He answered. "Just some stuff."
"Like...?" I urged.

He sighed then rested his head on my shoulder.

"Like when will we find Tim and Cynthia and the others?" He said.
"We'll find them." I sighed. "But something's still bothering you."

He sat upright then looked at my eyes. His golden eyes pierced my black ones. His expression has changed to need and hurt.

"Oh... that." Ice looked away.
"I'm sorry. I just know that when we find the others he'll  be there." Tobi bowed his head.
"You hungry?" I asked, hoping that he'll lighten up.

He suddenly raised an eyebrow then rolled his eyes on me.

"Go get dressed, let's look around town a bit." Tobi told me.

I nodded then headed upstairs to my room. I sat on my bed then placed a hand on my locket. Will gave this locket to me. It's empty but before the war began, he told me that it'll be of great use someday. But up to now, I still haven't found the use for this except a reminder of what David and I shared.

I am a girl, and I fall in love.

David was the one who helped with my self-control over the years. He thought me that our thirst for blood is just in the mind and can be satisfied with alternatives to help us resist what we are really after.

He taught me that animal blood is not that satisfying as human blood but can help us resist and gain strength. Over the years, he taught me to fight and love as well.

We became closer that we expected.

After the war, we became separated and Tobi and I lived together to search for the others. The men and priests kept their mission on passed them on generation after generation; to kill us and wipe our whole existence.

Since we lived together, Tobi became attached and he wanted to be what David was. But I couldn't really tell what I really feel towards Tobi. But I don't know, sometimes, I kinda feel the same towards him.

I opened my closet and saw my school uniform. Apparently, my school was a private one so a uniform is required.

The school might be expensive for other people, but for us, it's nothing. Since we became Vampires, we couldn't sleep anymore; not even a single nap. We had unlimited time so we studied by day and worked by night. I already finished college; I think four or five times. But we needed to blend in so I had to pretend that I'm only seventeen which I really am, physically speaking, and over a hundred, technically speaking.

Right now, I'm a third year high school student.

I examined my uniform as I picked it up from the closet and laid it on my bed. There was a white blouse, a dark blue vest with the school logo on the left part of the chest, a black skirt, white knee-high socks, and black shoes.

I took a deep breath and sat beside my uniform.

"Can I come in?"  I heard Tobi said from the other side of my door.
"Of course." I said.

He slowly opened the door and entered my room.

"I see you're already excited for school." Tobi grinned as he stood at the other side of my room.

I rolled my eyes and stood up and faced him.

"Have they called yet?" I asked.
"Not yet." Tobi walked towards me.
"Are you sure we'll find a lot of Vamps in this town?" I asked.
"That's what they say." Tobi placed an arm over my shoulders.

I sighed then rested my head on is chest.

"We'll see them soon. He'll be there." Tobi whispered on my ear.
"I hope so." I sighed.

He hugged me, his strong arms locked around my soft body.

"Thanks Tobi. Thanks for everything." I whispered.
"Anything." He said.

We stayed like that for an immeasurable time. We heard the doorbell rang and we stepped away from each other. I felt my cheeks heat up and I saw Tobi looking away.

"Maybe, we should get that." Tobi cleared his throat.
"Y-yeah." I nodded.

We headed downstairs and then opened the door. I stood beside Tobi; he was six foot tall while I was only five foot five.

As he opened the door, a couple smiled at us.

"Ah! Good morning, you must be our new neighbors." The woman with chocolate brown hair smiled.
"Yes, I'm Tobi and this is my sister Marlicelle." Tobi smiled.
"I'm Sandra and this is my husband Drew." She grinned creepily. Drew was short; shorter than me. He's bald and a bit fat, his face was wrinkly and the shadows under his eyes were a dark shade of purple.

I smiled at both of them. "Nice meeting you."
"Are your parents there?" Sandra asked.

Tobi and I looked at each other.

"We live by ourselves now. O-Our parents died years ago." I answered.
"Oh... I'm so sorry." Drew said.
"It's okay." I shrugged.

There was an awkward silence for a minute before Tobi spoke.

"So, um, you live across our house?" Tobi asked.
"Yes, so if you ever need anything, just knock on our door." Sandra lifted her fist and knocked on thin air.

I nodded, "Thank you."
"Well, we'll be going now. And welcome to Blackslate." Sandra nodded then the couple walked back to their house.

Tobi closed the door and sighed. He looked at me then smiled.

"Do you think they're thinking that we stole some money to buy this expensive house?" I asked.
"Nah..." Tobi rolled his eyes.

I nodded then looked outside. "I don't like the smell of their blood."
"Me neither. And don't you dare attack someone at school, okay?" Tobi raised an eyebrow.

I laughed. "Yeah, yeah."

"The blood will be here later this evening. I didn't buy a house with a high-tech basement for nothing." Tobi assured.
"High-tech basement?" I asked curiously.
"Its sound proof, smell proof, and the walls are steel with unbreakable glass and pure cement, and it's cold to preserve the blood." Tobi explained.

My eyes grew wide. "WOW."
"Yeah, wow." Tobi agreed.

The day passed by quickly and it was night. Tobi canceled our trip around town. I was at the balcony, sitting at the ledge staring at the backyard and the city lights afar.

"Cool view huh?" I heard Tobi walking towards me. He leaned forward on the ledge beside me.

I sighed.

"Problem?" He asked.
"Nothing. Just doing some thinking." I forced a smile.

Tobi hugged me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder. His cool breath touched my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"I'm sorry Ice." He whispered. Ice is my nickname.
"It's okay." I wrapped my arms on his cold arms and leaned back, his chest supporting me.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

"I understand how you feel." I whispered.
"And I know how you feel as well..." There was pain in his voice.
"Not really." I admitted.

Tobi removed his arms from mine and sat beside me.

"What do you mean?" He asked.
"Well..." I tried to sound casual. "I don't know, you kinda grown on me."

Tobi sighed. "It's alright Ice. I already expected this to happen."
"Who knows, maybe I could... you know. And we could be..." I admitted.

I felt his face enlighten.

"You should go to sleep, you have school tomorrow."
© Copyright 2008 ninjavampire (ninjavampire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425943-Bittersweet