*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426122-Excape-from-Area-51
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1426122
Science Fiction story for intellgent youth
Escape From Area 51
By
A. N. James

         Hello, my name is Xander, but some people call me X.  I live in Arizona which is part of Area 51.  Area 51 covers most of what was the southwestern United States.  I lived in a time of total anarchy. There is no justice except by violence. Area 51 is ruled by The Racers, the most powerful gang in the country.  Let me tell you about the time when Area 51 was liberated by the World Union Army.

         It started one day 15 years ago when my crew and I were preparing for a race against the Southside Punks. My crew is made up of Bishop (my right hand man), my sister, Zoe (AKA Z) and about 4 others who have passed along. Do not remember their names just the faces. Bishop and I were modifying an old Dodge Dart Swinger for the race later that night.  Bishop has only known Area 51 and racing.  Our crew, Chrome Shop Gang, was undefeated. We work out of an old body shop which is where we got our name. If you don't believe me, then just let me finish my tale.

         I remember it like it was yesterday. The radio was blasting while we worked on rebuilding the drive shaft. Suddenly, the newscaster came on saying, actually shouting, that the World Union Army had broken through the western wall surrounding Area 51.  Bishop was not happy to hear about this.  He said they would arrest us for racing.  Racing was not tolerated by the WUA.  He started freaking out and packing his gear.  Bishop said he was going to hide in the hills which were littered with caves.  I tried to calm him but knew that it was just a matter of time when the WUA would find us.  He finally calmed down when he understood that if we cooperated we might not get arrested.  He was a little skeptical but then I mentioned how they would grant us amnesty in exchange for our assistance.

         After that, we continued working on the car and finished in plenty of time for the race.  Of course, we won hands down.  The Southside Punks were no match for us.  No one in that gang could repair or rebuild the old cars like Bishop and I could.  They did not have the equipment or know how.  We celebrated our victory over that gang.  The next day, a new challenge came from The Racers.  This was a big deal as they were they toughest.  The Racers ruled Area 51 and had won all the races they participated in.  We had a lot of preparation for this race.  We wanted to make sure we made a good showing if we do not win.

         Just as we were preparing for the big race, this guy walked into the shop.  Bishop grabbed his Revolver and pointed it at him preparing to shoot.  I stopped him just in time and ask the guy what he wanted.  The guy looked kind of skinny and bony, not much muscle on him.  I told Bishop that he was not worth spending a bullet on his skinny ass.  We all had a good laugh.  He said his name was Hollow (The name suited) him.  Hollow said he was a mechanic looking for some work.  He liked building robots.  He put his hand into his pocket and pulled out this little orb thing.  He pushed a button on it and it flew into the air and then arms popped out.  Hollow said its name was P.A.R.M - Personal Automatic Robotic Mechanic.

         We showed Hollow our design he offered some new ideas we hadn't thought of. Bishop just kind of rolled his eyes. He was very suspicious of Hollow after that and kept saying that he was a spy for the Racers. The days that led up to the Big race flew by like a flash.  as we were leaving, Zoe decided to join us . We smoked the Racers by about 280 meters. The Racers took their defeat very hard and decided to kill us all.  Three of us were shot; Bishop blew Hollow's head off. He said that Hollow was a threat. I told him that Hollow was to be my successor after I die of Geostigma. He seemed surprised at what I said. I told him that I met Hollow several years before I came to Area 51. I came here because of Geostigma, and contacted Hollow and told him of my eminent death.

         While Bishop thought it over, me and Zoe buried our fallen comrades. Bishop seemed changed someway.  He was withdrawn and like he was looking inside himself. suddenly Bishop sprung into action and took Zoe hostage at gunpoint. The World Union Army had found us. Bishop dragged Zoe to a window and hollered out that he would kill her unless they dropped their arms.  I took action and grabbed a plasma torch set to high and killed Bishop with it.

         Now I have told you my story.  I know that today is the day I will pass on out of this life.  I am dying.  Tell my sister that I left a life insurance policy with her as the benefactor.  She is welcome to my savings account.  All of this is documented and kept in the place where we played as kids.  She will know where that is.  It is a secret place we used to keep our treasures and secrets.  Most of my gang is either in jail or dead.  She is the only one of us alive and not in prison.  Tell her to keep our secrets and memories alive. 

         The priest sees that the man is dead now.  One of the hospital staff comes in and tells the priest that the operation was a success.  The sister's child will pull through and she will be ready for visitors in a few hours.  Shall I tell her that her brother will be there to see his new nephew?  No, he has passed from this world. 

         A little while later, the priest is seen walking down the hall to the room where the sister is resting.  He enters, and in a short time we hear crying.
© Copyright 2008 A.N. James (pirateking2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426122-Excape-from-Area-51