*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426129-The-Destruction-of-Dragon-Mir
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1426129
Fantasy for all
The Destruction of Dragon Mir
By
A. N. James

         In the lands of Arcadia, there is peace all over. In Stormreach City live the Human and Elven races. In the Mage Quarter of the city, there resides the Grand Wizard Rednaxela. He is sitting in his Reading room updating one of his many journals. 

         The King's messenger arrives with a request from the King for an audience.  The King needs to see him immediately. There is a carriage waiting to take him to the inner sanctum of Stormreach Spire where the King lives.  Upon arrival, he is escorted to the King's war room.  The King appears to be very agitated.  Crops are dying because the sun is disappearing and all is dark.

         As the King is talking with Rednaxela, someone comes up to the King and whispers in his ear that someone desperately wants to see him.  Just then, the doors are slammed open by an elf ranger carrying a bag of Orc ears.  The bag is thrown on the table as the ranger tells all that the Orcs had attacked a village near his forest with a former paladin named Kire. The King slumps down into his throne. The ranger says that his name is The Outlander. The King says that his real name is Semaj, and he used to be a royal assassin that was kicked out for disobeying a direct order from the King. Rednaxela suspects that Kire is working with his old apprentice Grindel, and he is behind the problem with the crops.

         Rednaxela departs to find Grindel's tower. Altair says that he wants to make Kire pay for attacking that village. They depart Stormreach City hunting down Kire for he might lead them to Grindel and the item he stole from The Vault at the royal mage school. As Rednaxela inspects the scrolls, he discovers something more dangerous about this item they're searching for. The Star of Darkness is the phylactery of a Draco-Lich named Dragon Mir - a powerful and ancient dragon.

         Rednaxela and Semaj search for Kire and find him attacking another village with a band of Orcs.  Using magic, Rednaxela freezes all but himself and the paladin.  He asks Kire why he is disobeying the creed of the Order of Light.  Kire says he stop being a part of the Order of Light for many years.  He was betrayed by the Order and this is his way of getting revenge.  Rednaxela taps his staff on the ground and everyone is unfrozen. The Orcs take longer to come to their senses meaning the people and Semaj can capture them before they are in fighting order.  Kire escapes while they are gathering the Orcs. 

         Tracking Kire was no easy task for Altair even though he is an experienced tracker. They arrive at Grindel's tower and realize that Dragon Mir's power is growing.  As a large army of undead soldiers meets them at the front gate of Grindel's tower, they see the spirit of Dragon Mir is growing above the tower.  This means they must get into the tower immediately and remove the Star of Darkness from Grindel's grasp.  They easily blast away the army and go through the great doors of the tower.  As they enter, they are met by Kire.  Rednaxela enchants Semaj's sword to give him an edge over Kire.  Rednaxela heads up the stairs just as Semaj and Kire start their sword fight.  He arrives in Grindel's study.  Grindel appears to be in a trance staring at the Star.

         Rednaxela smashes his grip on the Star.  Grindel is startled awake from his trance and seems unaware of his surroundings.  He does not realize his trance combined with the power of the Star was creating this evil.  It seems that Kire and Grindel both were under the spell of Dragon Mir in the Star of Darkness.  Dragon Mir used their disappointments and anger to direct them in taking action against the King.  Once Rednaxela takes the Star of Darkness, Kire is awaken from the spell that Dragon Mir had over him.  Kire lays down his sword and surrenders to Semaj.  Rednaxela slowly explains to Grindel what has been happening and calms him.

         Just then, darkness engulfs the entire land. Semaj and Rednaxela were too late.  Dragon Mir has regained full power!  Just as they are leaving the tower gates, Altair suddenly makes an about face and goes back into the tower.  Dragon Mir's power comes from those who have experienced betrayal and disappointment.  Semaj had been exiled from the city where at one time he had held a position as a royal assassin.  Rednaxela follows him up to the top of the tower but is too late to stop him.  Semaj goes flying off on the back of Dragon Mir. 

         Rednaxela goes back to Grindel's study and tells both Grindel and Kire they must help him save the capital city.  Dragon Mir has gone to destroy it with the help of Altair and the undead army.  Rednaxela teleports all of them back to the city.  Upon arrival, they are taken to the King where they inform him of Dragon Mir's pending arrival.  The King's army prepares for the battle to come.  The city gates are closed and reinforced.  All the city people are making way to the castle for protection.  Rednaxela joins the other archmages to determine the right battle plan.  They each take a strategic post.  Grindel joins the archmages and is put into a position as well. 

         Kire puts on his armor to prepare for battle.  He is given a horse by the captain of the King's guards. Upon the King's orders The Order of Light present him with an enchanted war hammer.  Each archmage enchants the soldiers and their weapons to be the best possible for fighting the undead.  Within the plan, there will be a signal from Rednaxela which will tell each archmage it is time to take down Dragon Mir. 

         The King's army makes short work of the undead army with the help of the Order of Light.  The signal that Rednaxela told the archmages to look for was the destruction of the Star of Darkness.  This must happen to destroy Dragon Mir.  Kire works with Rednaxela and smashes the Star of Darkness.  Then the archmages attack and obliterates Dragon Mir.  Semaj fell just as the attack upon Dragon Mir was instigated.  He is rescued and taken to the healers.

         There was a great celebration in Stormreach City that lasted for days!  Peace again had settled over the lands of Arcadia for many years to come.
© Copyright 2008 A.N. James (pirateking2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426129-The-Destruction-of-Dragon-Mir