*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426185-The-Black-Eyed-Kids
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Dark · #1426185
THe fist couple of chapters of my book. First book so it is a little rough. Thank you !
The Black Eyed Kids, also known as the BEKs, are known as an urban legend that surfaced more dominantly in 1998.  The few reports of these children show that the BEK are demonic entities that instill primal fear in all of those that come in contact with them.



Chapter One




    Lately Jessie Alexandros had been down on his luck.  After losing his well paying warehouse job in Seattle he lost his girlfriend of two years.  After losing his girlfriend his dog got hit by a car.  After his dog got hit by a car his landlord gave him a final notice on his rent.  After his landlord gave notice his utilities were shut off due to non-payment.  Jessie had asked his younger brother for help with the bills the day he got another notice for his cell phone bill.  His little brother, Levi, gave him the money to pay for all of the bills and then some.



    The only thing that Jessie had going for him at the moment was his '78 Camaro Z28 painted black with two white racing stripes running up the middle of the car.  He had been working on the car for the past year, sinking every last penny he had into the car.  Which was the main reason he was in such a fix.



    It had been six months after losing his job and asking his brother for money that Levi asked Jessie to come live with him in Reno, NV to get a fresh start in a new city.  Levi was a successful Internet businessman selling everything from Mia Bella candles online to antiques on eBay.  Levi was 23 years old and had graduated from the University of Nevada Reno with a degree in E-business after only a two years of attending the school.  Jessie was going to work with his brother on the business until he could find another job.



    Jessie had gone to college to be a sports journalist but had dropped out after his parents had gotten a divorce.  Thinking that he could maybe save the marriage between his parents he decided to move back to Nevada for a short period of time



  Jessie decided to drive his car from Seattle to Reno with the small amount of possession's that he had but taking a longer route that would take him past his hometown of Lovelock, NV.  Lovelock was a small town with a population less than 2,200 people and very few jobs.  Home of the Lovelock Correctional Center which was a prison reserved mostly for sexual crime offenders.  Jessie wanted to take a look at the town and the house that he had grown up in since he was thirteen until he was twenty-four.  It was 10:00 pm when he arrived at the exit to Lovelock.  The small town had a McDonald's and Chevron gas coming right off of the interstate so that Jessie was able to get gas and artery clogging food nearly at the same time.  With a full tank and Big-mac in hand he decided to go visit his old house on Franklin Avenue.  As a matter of fact he had not visited the town since his father had died in 2004 of lung cancer.



    The house was at the end of Franklin Avenue with a dead end fence and a ditch off to the left side of the house.  Jessie decided to call his brother on his seemingly stone-age cell phone when he got to the house to reminisce about their childhood. 

   

    Levi answered half-way through his Avril Lavigne song that he had set as a caller-tune. 

   

    "Hey bro when the hell you gonna get here?" Levi asked jokingly.

     

    "Here soon Levi, first I wanted to check out the house here in Lovelock.  See if the new owners could screw it up more than when dad left," Jessie said laughing on the end.



    "Yeah that house was pretty jacked up when he left." said Levi.  "I'm sure that they had their hands full.  But it's a little late to be stopping by there.  They might think your a stalker."



    "Well they can kiss my ass cause I wanted to see it." Jessie told him. 



    The house itself was barely illuminated by the streetlight but Jessie at least could tell that it had been painted a different color unknown in the darkness.  Also that the yard was still nice and green entering October and the tree in front, which he and his brother had planted when Levi was eleven, was large with brown colored leaves.  The tree itself had been a present to their mother from their father.  "You should see the tree bro, it's gotten pretty big."



    "Well I bet that whoever lives there is taking better care of it than what we had done." Levi said.  "I never liked living in Lovelock.  I don't know why you would want to go back there.  It's nothing but hillbillies and closed-minded assholes."



    "I don't know why you hate it so much.  I loved this town growing up." Jessie said a little irritated that his brother always bagged on Lovelock.



    "Yeah well you weren't the only gay guy in your class that everyone found out about and decided to make your life a living hell for last two years of high school and another year thereafter."  Levi explained.



    "Well I guess there is that."  Jessie said sort of chuckling at the end.  Not making fun of his brothers high school experiences but just laughing at the way his brother had said it.



    Jessie looked over at the neighboring house and saw that their old neighbor, Charles Banner, had a light on.  Considering that it was a little late and most people were in bed, Jessie figured that Charles was getting ready to hit the sack.  He had never seen Charles up past ten p.m. when Jessie was in high school.  As the back door opened showing Charles walk outside and light up a cigarrette Jessie said to his brother, "Looks like Charles is getting ready to go to bed.  He's outside having a smoke it looks like."



    "Good for him."  Levi sounded a little harsh.  He had never gone over to Charles' house to do yard work once he hit fifteen.  Most likely considering that he was beyond having to do manual labor for a neighbor.  Levi was quite lazy when he was younger, at least that is how Jessie saw it.  "So are you getting ready to leave or what?"  Levi said sounding a little more than just frustruated.



    "Look Levi, I just wanted to say again how thankful that I am for what your doing for me.  I hate asking you for help in the first place but taking me in and helping me as much as you are is beyond what I ever thought you would ever do for me.  Giving me money is one thing but giving me a new life in a new city is amazing.  I love you bro."



    "I love you too bud.  Now hurry the hell up before I change my mind and make you move back to that shit hole you left."  Levi said laughing.



    When he was just about to leave and make his final stretch to Reno, Jessie's looked over towards the street light and saw two children that he had not seen there when he first pulled up on the street.  He could not tell their age from the distance and the dark but they looked no older than nine and no younger than seven.  Why would kids be out this late he thought to himself but nothing ever happened in Lovelock so he did not worry too much about it. 



    It seemed that the children noticed him when he noticed them cause they started walking towards the car.  The windows were up so they were not able to hear Jessie talking to his little brother.  The closer they got the more details Jessie was able to make about the children. 



    One was tall with nearly shoulder length brown hair though he could not be sure because of the night.  The boy was maybe nine years old and four foot eight inches.  Not small but not too tall for kids his age nowadays.  The smaller boy was nearly half a foot shorter than his companion with short cut close cropped hair.  Like his father was in the military and enjoyed giving the more willing son a buzz cut.  Both dressed in white shirts with black dress slack and black formal shoes they looked like they both just left church.  Though Jessie got an odd feeling about the kids being out so late he passed it off.  No reason to be scared of such young children. 



    But the last thing that Jessie noticed before they made it to the car were their eyes.  They were pitch black.  "Wow!" Jessie exclaimed.



    "What's up?" asked Levi.

   

    "There are some kids walking up to the car.  I didn't notice them when I got here but they look like they just left church.  Except for their eyes.  You should see them bro they are pitch black." Jessie said not trying to play off the he was not enthused by the kids' eyes.  "I have always wanted to get some black contacts like that."



    "Well don't let them in the car."  Levi sounded very skeptical.  "It's after ten o'clock on a school night and there are kids on a dead end street walking up to the first car they see.  Plus they happen to be wearing black contacts in the middle of the night.  That really does not sound like a good idea."



    "Hey if they need a ride cause of some emergency I can't just say no Levi.  I need to help them out." Jessie explained.  "Let me see what they want just hold on."



    Jessie heard his brother say something profane before setting the phone down on the passenger seat.  Jessie rolled down his window.  He had only just noticed how chilly it was outside.  You could instantly smell fall in the air.  He asked, "Hey boys, what are you doing out so late?  You should be at home it's a school night."



    "We know but we were supposed to stay at a friends house but he got into trouble so we had to leave."  Said the tall one.  "Could you give us a ride to our house?  We live over near the high school and it's cold out here."



    The tall boy looked very confident.  Not something you find in all children his age.  He stood very straight and looked right into Jessie's eyes as he talked.  Most children ten and under seem to be apologizing with their eyes when talking to an adult, as if they have been doing something wrong each time they spoke.  But not this boy.  The smaller boy just kept moving back and forth but he just seemed sort of fidgety, not too cold.  But who was Jessie to think otherwise?



    "You kids should be more careful about walking up to cars in the middle of the night."  Jessie explained,  "I could have been some crazy person looking for someone to get at.  And I am sure your parents have told you not to talk to strangers."



    "Yes sir they have but we have been walking it seems like forever and again it is chilly out and we are without our jackets.  Would you be so kind as to give us a ride?  I am sure our parents would appreciate your compassion."  the tall child said and he seemed very well educated.  You really don't find many children in the area that spoke that way.



    "Wow you have a very good vocabulary for kid your age." Jessie said quite impressed.  "I don't mind giving you guys a ride home but you really need to be more careful about who you ask for a ride.  Never just go walking off and ask a complete stranger."



    The shorter boy made a small yip sound when he understood they were getting a ride.  Clearly excited that he did not have to walk the next four blocks in the dark chilly night.  Jessie was quite pleased to make a child so happy.



    Jessie picked up his cell phone and said, "Hey bro I am going to give these kids a quick ride home and let you know what was up after I drop them off."



    "I would rather just stay on the phone until you get there."  Levi sounded a little unease about the situation.



    "No no I don't want to drive in the dark with a cell phone on one ear and a child giving me directions in the other."  Jessie explained as he unlocked the passenger door for the children.  "Getting pulled over like that is the last thing I need so I will just call you later alright?  As soon as I drop the kids off."



    "Alright but call me right after Jess.  Don't leave me hanging." said Levi.



    "I won't bro I promise to call.  Talk to you in a few minutes.  Bye." Jessie hung up the phone as the boys slid in the back seat.



    "Alright boys where to?" Jessie asked as he reached across the seat to close the passenger door.



    When he sat back straight up in the chair and looked at the boys in the rear view mirror something seemed to pass over their eyes.  A light but not a light.  As if there was something behind their eyes that had peeked through.  It was in that moment that Jessie realized he should have listened to his brother.  Listened to the strange feeling he got when he saw the children.  Should have drove away without even showing interest in the children because this moment he knew that he would never be leaving the car alive.  As he stared into the children's eyes his own vision back to fade to black.  There was something in the children's eyes that wanted to take him and everything about him into the darkness.  The last thing he heard was a scream that sounded more animal and yet human somehow.  Jessie would have screamed himself but he no longer seemed to have control over his body or mind.  An unreleased scream tore through his throat when he fell into the darkness and a cold that he would never escape.











Chapter Two


    Levi Alexandros hung up with his brother wondering what children were doing out so late at night.  He never understood why parents would let their children be out past dark on a school night.  When he was in elementary through junior high school Levi was only allowed out until sundown and after that he would get grounded for being late.  So he was never late to getting home while he was in his younger years.  Once he hit high school his parents had been more lenient with his going out after dark but only until nine o'clock.  Though if it had been his fathers decision only he would have been out much later.  Levi missed his father terribly still after nearly three years of his passing. 



    Levis' parents had divorced when he was in high school nearing the end of his senior year.  Levi had the choice of moving in with his mother or with his father whom at the time despised the ground that his mother walked on.  So obviously, being a mommas boy, Levi moved to an apartment with his mother and helped pay the rent while delivering pizzas at a local pizza parlor.  After his mother had decided to move in with her beau that lived in a different town Levi decided to live on his own for a while because he was not yet comfortable seeing another man kiss and love on his mother that was not his father. 



    Levis' father got heavily into drinking and smoking much more after the divorce and moved to Montana.  The last time that Levi got to see his father was on his death-bead after doctors told his family that he only had a few days to live.  His father developed lung cancer from far too much smoking throughout his life.  Though still attending college Levi went to see his father thereby missing a few days of classes.  His father, Edison, had once been a strong, able bodied man with a large belly.  In the final days of Edisons' life he was bone thin with a beard that reached his chest.  Levi barely recognized his father for he had never seen him with a beard.  One week after his final visit with his father he got a call from his mother, Edna, that his father was dead.  Even though he saw it coming and even thought that he felt him pass that very day he was still rocked.  It was taking a long time it seemed to move on.



    After his father passing, almost to the day, Levi started smoking.  Picking up where his father left off he liked to say.  After hanging up with his brother Levi decided that he really wanted a smoke.  On his way to the door, cell phone in hand, he picked up his coat because it was chilly out and his cigarettes were in his coat pocket.  He was stopped by Dominick , his boyfriend and soul-mate, just as he reached the door. 



    Dominick grabbed the coat, "And where do you think your going?" he asked.



    "I just got off the phone with my brother and I very much need a smoke babe." Levi explained.



    "How many is that for you today?" Dom teased.



    "Not enough to make me feel better about how my brothers' life has been going."  Levi had only found out just what had been going on with Jessie a few months ago, four months after initially losing his job.  "Why didn't he just call me right away?  He knew I would always be there to help him out, even if he was a dick for the better part of our teenage years."



    "Do you know just how humbling it is to have to ask your little brother for money when you're fives years older?" Dom asked.  "I know you don't have a younger brother to compare to but just think of how it must feel when your supposed to be more successful and to have a younger, cuter and obviously more talented brother to have to lean on and tell me you would not be a little pissed at yourself."



    Levi stopped and thought about that for a few moments and realized just how much pride his brother had to let go of just to ask for help.  Feeling a little sheepish he said, "Baby why do you have to be so damned smart?"



    "Because I am older and wiser than thee young padawan." Dom said with a bow.



    "Excuse me but one year older does not make you that amazing.  Just you being your sexy educated and wonderful self makes you that amazing.  And that's why I love you."  They kissed and though it was not the most passionate kiss of his life Levi still felt weak kneed. 



      Levi and Dominick had been dating for the past year and a half.  Ever since they had met at a local club where Levi and a very large straight biker were about to get into a fight.  Dominick had come in and saved the day, not by reasoning with the biker, but by laying him out on the ground.  For a man to come to the aid of someone he had never met, even if the person may be stumbling drunk, and keep him from getting the shit kicked out of him is a triumph in twenty-first century and Levi had fallen instantly in love that night.  And Dom said that he felt the same way, even after Levi had thrown up on his shoes.



    Levi was not a person to be mistaken for a male version of a damsel in distress.  At five foot ten inches and not a too bulky but a lean two hundred pounds, Levi was normally the first person to stand up to a cretin of large proportions and usually win.  He even had the scars to prove the fights from a knife and a broken bottle.  But when drunk enough he could not fight for shit.



    Dominick was six foot three inches and had enough bulk to be a professional wrestler.  At two hundred and thirty-five pounds he was a formidable but sweet force.  Not one to just get into a bar fight because he felt the need but willing to help out another.  With auburn hair that came down to his shoulders and the greenest emerald eyes Levi had ever seen, Dominick looked like a miracle of god.  Dominick was naturally big from a good gene pool and did not have to lift much weights to keep his bulk, which was the exact opposite with Levis case.



    "I am a bit worried about Jessie.  His new found kindness to humanity has brought him to pick up some kids in the middle of the night to take them home.  His intentions are good but I really don't think that it's very safe even if they are children of no matter what age."  Levi said worriedly.



    "Don't worry babe he'll be fine.  Let's go have a smoke and you will feel better.  Though I really do wish you would quit."  Don said obviously worried that the same thing that happened to Levis father would happen to him.



    Changing the subject off of his father Levi said, "What do you mean by we?  Are you gonna smoke as well?"



    "Well what I meant by we was you go have a smoke while I curl up next to you and keep you warm on this chilly night."  Dom said slyly.



    "I love you too baby."  Levi giggled.  He never understood, and never questioned, how he had come into such luck to have Dom.  But Levi did not care.  As long as Dom was there, everything would be alright.  Sometimes, Levi almost believed that.





Chapter Three


    It had been well over an hour after his brother said he would call when Levi just decided to call back, admittedly a little irritated.  Especially after he got Jessie's voice mail.  "Hey bro its Levi.  I thought you were gonna call me after you dropped those damn weird ass kids off.  Just call me back when you get the message alright I want to know what was up with those kids."  Levi said and closed his cell phone.



    Levi was not just irritated but felt colt inside the heated apartment.  He wanted to believe that it was just his brothers forgetfulness that had kept him from calling.  But deep down he knew something was terribly wrong but did not want to admit it to himself.  Just passing it off as paranoia instead of anything else.  Though to be honest throughout his entire life Levi had gotten these "feelings" that always seemed to be right on the money.  Levi just always passed it off as a lucky guess.  Though frankly no one knew just how lucky Levi had gotten in his life. 



    He had known that his grandfather was going to pass away days before his heart attack.  He knew his parents would get divorced long before the "Big One" had even occurred.  Though he did live in the same house and anyone with a brain could have been able to tell him while living there that they would eventually get a divorce.  But Levi never let himself believe it.  When his grandfather had passed away Levi had inherited a large sum of antiques and a considerable amount of life insurance that his grandfather had left him to no family members knowledge.  And even at the will reading Levi was not surprised because he knew that his grandfather had left him something that he had left no other living relative.  Which put Levi on the shit list of people whom had stayed at Drew's, Levis grandfather, bedside hoping to inherit more than they had.



    After taking some courses at UNR in E-business, he graduated top his class in less then two years.  Levi had taken the antiques to get appraised by a local businessman and began selling the objects on EBay.  After making some money but not a lot with EBay antique selling he turned for a second form of income after visiting WorkAtHomeMoms.com.  Also known as WHAM.com where he encountered a group of men and women who sold candles for a main income.  Levi decided to join the Mia Bella Candle corperation to start a second income that Dom decided to help out with by quitting his job and joining in the crusade of candles.  Levi always knew where to go for the top sales and whom to go to thus making him the primary source for antiques and Mia Bella candles for his area.  Though he was offered a job in sales for the primary office for Mia Bella, Levi decided to turn the offer down.  Finding his bliss as his own boss with his soul mate at his side, Levi could not think of any better way to spend his time.  He had also gotten lucky with the right stock broker and was doing quite well for himself at the age of twenty-three.



    It was after midnight when he truly began to feel that his gut feeling was right.  After calling his brothers cell phone at least seven more times and not getting an answer he almost decided to give up on his brother picking up his phone.  But the eighth time he called someone picked up, "Jesus Christ bro I have been trying to get a hold of you for the past two hours why the fuck didn't you answer you damn phone!" Levi screamed at the phone.  There was no answer but Levi could feel someone on the other line. 



    "Hello?  Jessie dude come on don't fuck with me right now." he said, though he knew somehow that it was not his brother on the other side of the phone.  "Who is this?  What's going on?"



    Levi couldn't breath, couldn't think.  He all of sudden wanted to run away screaming and he could not figure out why the hell he felt this way.  He wanted to cry, scream, tear his hair out and knew that it was not him that was sending these thoughts through to his mind.  He had the feeling that the person, no..not a person, thing on the other side of the phone was not human.  Not supposed to be here.  It was something that if messed with could destroy your soul and take it back to Hell with it.  All this he "knew" in an instant. 



    But that could not be right.  Just from someone not talking on a phone does not mean that they were sent from the depths.  It just made them psychotic, but nowadays who would know the difference.



    "I know your still there.  I can't hear you breathing but I know your there.  What do you want from me?  Why did you answer my brothers phone if your not going to talk to me?  What the FUCK did you do to my brother you little bastards!!"  At this point Levi was panicking for no reason he could understand.  "What the hell is going on?" He thought to himself. 



    There was the laughter of children on the other side of the phone.  It started as if it were a cold music in the ears but quickly grew into the shrieking you only here in an insane asylum you see in the movies.  Where people scream and smash their heads into the walls until their brains leaked out on the floor.  Then it turned into screeching that made your skin crawl. 



    There was a flash behind Levis eyes and he could see his brother lying on the ground.  Eyes turned black and dead to everything in this world but face looking as if the last thing he saw had scared him more than anything could have on gods green earth.  Another flash passed and Levi was standing in the dark with the shrieks of what sounded like a thousand people all around him laughing and screaming at the top of their lungs.  At the pinnacle moment when Levi thought that he would join the screaming he saw two children standing not five feet in front of him and he knew they knew he was there and that they were the cause of the shrieking.  A final flash brought him back into the living room of his apartment with phone in hand and the piercing laughter still sounding from the earpiece.



    Dominick walked into the room and he must have seen what Levi felt in his face because he ran to him and snatched the phone away.  As he grabbed the phone the squalling stopped and perfect silence echoed from the phone.  You could hear the phone disconnect and then the phone lit up showing the call time.  Oddly enough the phone time only said thirty-five seconds though it had felt like twenty minutes to Levi.  His head felt like like hundreds of pounds of pressure had just entered through every pore in his head making it feel like it was about to explode.  His eyes were watery and his chest hurt from the repressed scream that had built in his throat.  He knew without a doubt that his brother was dead and that the children had killed him.  His legs turned into melted rubber and darkness began to cloud his vision.  Before he was able to fall to the ground Dominick caught him and Levi could tell that he was saying something to him.  His mouth was working but nothing came through to Levi.  His head was filled with shrieking children and his dead black eyed brother.  Before passing out he saw the children in the living room by the fireplace and finally the scream broke surface in his throat but only sounded like a far away cry from a mile away.  Darkness filled the rest of his vision and he was drowned by a dark so deep he thought he would never wake.

© Copyright 2008 Nakoma Andrews (nakoma25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426185-The-Black-Eyed-Kids