*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427560-Writing-Dot-Com
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1427560
Career change story for the daily flash fiction challenge 300 word max
Writing Dot Com

Stan did not see it as a decision that had to be made by such and such a time.  Not at first anyway. 

He had a great job - worked for himself as a matter of fact.  Plenty of money, lots of travel; everything was going along just right.

Except that he wasn't happy. 

This differed from being unhappy. It was more like a simple lack of happiness.

Instead of looking forward to each day, he would rise up feeling melancholy.  He felt like he should have taken Frost's advice and taken the road less traveled. 

Now he was stuck.  This realization alone bought with it the knowledge that he did, in fact, have a decision to make.  The saying if you do what you did, you will get what you got came to mind.

Change would not happen without effort.

With some timidity, he took out his computer and started a search.  He knew what it was that he wanted to do.  He also knew that he was completely unqualified.  He had to find a way to get the skills he needed.  It was time for an old dog to learn a new trick or two.

In a surprisingly short time, he found what he was looking for.  It had been there all along, waiting for him and others like him to come and join the fun.

This was the first step in what would be a series of steps to a new day.

He was going to be a writer!

Word count 255
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427560-Writing-Dot-Com