*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427996-It-you-love-someone
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1427996
Story of love and passage for the daily flash fiction 300 word max
If you love someone...


"Honey, listen to me carefully. It's okay. You go on ahead; I will catch up with you later."

Tom had been listening to this rubbish for most of the last day. In sixty-five years of marriage, they had never been apart. Now she was telling him to go off without her.

"Everyone is going to be there," she continued. "The entire family will be waiting for you. They are expecting you."

Why was she doing this? It made him feel angry that she could so easily suggest that he go to the reunion without her. Something was wrong.

"Don't go worrying about me," she said, reading his mind. "I will be fine. It will only be for a little while. I just have a few things to take care of first."

Still he hesitated.

"I know you are afraid. But there is really no need. I will be fine. You will be fine. Trust me Tom; I want you to do this."

Tom felt lost. What should he do? The idea of seeing everyone after so long was very attractive. He could feel the pull of it. But Thelma was his world, his life.

"Go Tom. Go now. I will be there soon. . . " her voice continued from far away.

Tom looked up to see his parents waiting for him. They held out their hands to him. Suddenly, he was twelve years old again.

There was his brother Bill. There were others as well. Teachers, friends, family . . .they were all there waiting for him.

The light was calling, but first Tom took one last look back. He could see Thelma by his bed holding his hand and crying softly. She was as beautiful as the day he first met her. He could hardly wait until she was with him again.

word count 299
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427996-It-you-love-someone