*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428127-Orange-purple-and-blue
Rated: · Fiction · Tragedy · #1428127
My brother... Jake. He's dead. These two words penetrated my brain. He's dead. Forever.
I walked onto the beach. Millions of seashells scattered over the seashore were shining on the beach, reflecting the glittering sunlight. I walked slowly, enjoying the feeling of waves lapping against my legs. I gazed towards the setting sun, watching the light orange reflected onto the deep blue sea. Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of a boy, waving his arms, clothed in a long-sleeved purple shirt. The setting sun made him appear orange. The blue sea made him appear blue. Jake. I cursed under my breath.

I threw a white striped life-buoy into the sea. Jake caught it and swam towards the shore in strong, fast, strokes. He climbed onto the beach, his clothes dripping wet.

"Are you out of your mind? You could have died!" I yelled.

"What, twerp?" He said, grinning.

"What, what? I rescued you! What did you do that for?"

" Yeah. Whatever. I got this seashell." He held out his hand, a pink seashell grasped tightly.

"Just for that? You do that again, I'm not going to help you!" I screeched, and stormed off.

A month later, it was my birthday. Jake gave me many presents, including the pink seashell which he had risked his life to obtain. And most of all, a card from Dad who had gone overseas. I opened it, on tenterhooks, when a gust of wind snatched it from my fingers. It flew out of the window and into the sea. I gazed after it, feeling helpless. Jake tore after it, and without hesitation, and jumped into the sea after it. He grabbed it, and swam back. Suddenly, I saw a fin. Something clicked. It was a shark. "Shark! Jake! Shark!" I bellowed. It was too late. The shark opened its jaws wide. It closed it over Jake. I never saw him come out.

Orange, purple and blue again. He was wearing the same shirt. Orange, purple and blue. These colours will never be the same again.
© Copyright 2008 Never Ending Words... (eening at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428127-Orange-purple-and-blue