*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429440-drugs
Rated: 18+ · Thesis · Political · #1429440
whose choice should it be, ours or the governments
Drugs....

Why are drugs wrong? Why is drinking wrong? Why is it someone else's business when you decide to inflict harm on your own body? Is it not yours? Yes, I understand that drugs and alcohol do not better you in any way. But should it be the government's choice on whether you choose to lead a productive lifestyle? I know many functional alcoholics and drug addicts. Yes, I believe that it should be against the law to drink and drive, and yes I believe it should be a law that you cannot operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs. But, should the government be able to tell you what you can and cannot do in the privacy of your own home? If you are using drugs behind your closed doors, then whom are you harming but yourself, and to think that the government spends billions of dollars on the war on drugs. I thought a war was fought against people. Well the war on drugs is being fought against the American people. We are fighting a war against ourselves. Our country is so far into debt and we keep borrowing from others to get ourselves out of it. Would it not be smarter for the government to stop funding the war on drugs and buy into it. The government could sell the drugs, and they could make money off of it. I doubt the government is ever going to be able to stop my fellow Americans from using the substances, so why shouldn't they be the ones supplying it. At least that way they could put limits on it, and make money to get our country out of debt. They don't even have to legalize all drugs. Imagine the money that the government could make off of just marijuana. Did you know that you can make paper out of marijuana also? So instead of cutting down all these tree's that take hundreds of years to grow, we could grow pot and re-grow pot and be able to supply our country with paper instead of destroying the tree's which give us our air to breath. Did you know that our own "declaration of independence" was written on hemp paper. Did you also know that when our country was first founded, the hemp plant was considered the most important of American crops. It is how we made clothing, paper, rope and many of our tools. Did you know that you can extract methane from the hemp plant? Did you know that dragster racing cars use methane for gas. Which means that our cars could use methane for gas. And unlike oil, the hemp plant doesn't eventually run out, it can be re-grown. So wouldn't it make more sense to use that source for paper, motor fuel, and maybe even smoking other than using up all of our precious natural resources or jailing us because of it. Imagine the taxes they could put on marijuana. The street price for an eighth of an ounce can very from twenty to fifty dollars depending on the potency. So the government could purchase the marijuana from a farmer, and then sell it for the same price or even cheaper and still make an enormous profit. A pack of cigarettes cost five dollars. Do you realize that the farmer who grew the tobacco averages about three cents per pack of cigarettes. So think of that, the government could be making almost all of what the marijuana sold for. Imagine what they could use that money for. They could use it for road construction, welfare, and all the other things that keep our taxes increasing. Do you realize how many people actually smoke marijuana anyway, and how much people spend on it? Just think, your not going to stop them from doing it, and why shouldn't the government receive the money the spend on it to better our country? Isn't that what America is all about? The people helping and supporting the government and in turn the government helping and supporting the people. The legalization of marijuana could be totally controlled by the government itself. It wouldn't have to become a business. It could be all used for the government's money, and they could own the business. This would take care of a lot of our debt and a lot of the scams that go one behind the public's back. We would not have to fund anymore for the pointless "war on drugs", and the government could be turning a profit instead of sending us further into debt. Not to mention, it would cut down on a lot of gang related activity and homicides. Gangs are based around drugs. Most gang killings can be traced back to drugs. Gangs are formed and ran on the base of selling drugs. So if the people could get the drugs from a convenience store or even a government ran building, what would the gangs have left to do but slowly die out? The government would have totally raped them of what there profits come from. Now there will always be gangs and things gangs can do, but the drugs are the biggest part of gangs.
© Copyright 2008 damien james (free at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429440-drugs