*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429445-senseless-ramblings-1
Rated: 13+ · Other · Nonsense · #1429445
opinions on anything and everything.
Often, I find myself sitting at my computer, like millions of other Americans, and searching the web and getting "studied up" on boat loads of useless propaganda and information. Recently, I have been considering something; is any of this information actually going to make for any progress in today's society. Like any other form of media in today's America, the world-wide-web is full of information. How do we know who is telling the truth and how do we know who's story is chocked full of one-sided false tweaks of the story to persuade you to believe or act upon this persons set of false moral's. I mean, is there any set of morals that are actually right. In my personal belief, morals are not universal, it all depends on the time and situation of the act. In today's society killing out of pure passion is considered murder, yet when a man kills multiple men in battle he is praised as a hero, and the man who pulls the switch for the electric chair is considered a respectable member of our society. Yet, what makes his act of killing any less wrong than the man killing for an emotion. The "murderer" is killing for something he believes in, the executioner on the other hand is taking the persons life for a paycheck. So is money what makes murder ok? Apparently not, because the drug lords who kill for there fair share of the drug profits, are incarcerated for life or killed by another man in the form of capital punishment. Who decided that if one man kills another, that in turn makes it ok to kill him, and why is it only ok when the state oversees the procedure. Why does the judge have the decision to throw your life away, what makes the judge's decision anymore credible than any other member of society. Is it college? It must be, because that is all the adults push down their kids throats. "you need college", "you'll never get anywhere without college" are the things that the vast majority of parents begin to pump into their children's heads as early as kindergarten. Maybe this is true with today's society, but why? When did physical labor become so wrong, and since when do you need to go to college to do road construction. But the local tech school I was looking into actually has a road construction program. How much education does it take to lay blacktop. It never took any for the last fifty years, and why does it need to start now? Why are machines taking the jobs of millions of Americans, or why are our jobs being shipped oversees to out-of-country plants. Why are our factories being shut down and sent to Mexico. Well I have your answer...money. Our faithful green currency is what makes this world go round. It is a necessary evil in our society. This is what is considered most important, more important than being obese and healthy, more important than ones religious beliefs. It all starts when you are first sent to kindergarten and told to keep your grades up. "Why is it important?" the child might ask , and the common response is "so you can grow up and get a decent job". What is the definition of a decent job you might ask? Well I have always thought of a decent job of being a job that makes you lots and lots of money. What ever happened to working and doing what we love to do? Shouldn't life be more about what makes us happy than money? We go to school from age five to eighteen, and if you have not noticed we spend more time in our waking ours at school than anywhere else. Yes, education is important, and I will never say that we don't need our schooling, but it is almost impossible in today's society to get a "decent job" without a college education. What about families who can not afford to send there children to college. "Well they have scholarships for that" is what the modern American would say. But what if the kid just isn't that smart, or good at sports? What about him. And another point I would like to make; why in the hell do sports get you a scholarship in college? College's fight over the best sports player, when shouldn't they in fact be fighting over the best or brightest students? I offer no solution to any of these problems and I will not pretend that I have all of the answers. It is just some food for thought as some might say.

The end
© Copyright 2008 damien james (free at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429445-senseless-ramblings-1