*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431787-Young-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1431787
sheriff tries to impress a girl with his heroics for daily flash fiction 300 word max
Young Love

Bullets were flying everywhere.

The sheriff and his deputy were surprised by the sudden ferocity of the attack.

They were eating lunch when the sheriff looked up from his sandwich to see that a new girl had apparently just started working there. He was so taken by her beauty that he failed to notice as half of his sandwich fell off into his soup. His next swipe at his lunch was an "air bite."

His cheeks burned red and he hoped the new girl had not noticed his miss.

Out of nowhere the street outside erupted in gunfire.

The new girl would have to wait. He had to deal with this situation first. The Simpson gang had rolled into town after months on the trail. That was never a good thing. To them, the town was their playground. There were no rules.

The deputy, a fine man, had managed to get two of the gang before being hit while diving for cover behind a table. That left just the sheriff. Only he stood between the outlaws and the town folk.

He stole a glance over at the new girl. He could see fire in her eyes. She knew there was danger and loved it; just the type of gal the sheriff needed by his side.

The battle raged on.

A click...click spelled bad news for the sheriff. His guns were empty. He felt his holster and confirmed what he already knew.

This was the end.

He stole a glance at the girl and knew that he had to meet her. It was now or never.He jumped up and did a forward roll over to where she was hiding.

He cleared his throat before saying "I don't suppose you have any ammo?"

Before she could answer, the lunch bell rang.

Word Count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431787-Young-Love