*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433384-Supermarket-Encounter
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1433384
old foes meet at the store for daily flash fiction 300 word max
Supermarket Encounter


Bertha pushed her cart over next to the watermelon display. She had her eyes on the strawberries nearby. Those along with shortcake, whipped cream and maybe a scoop of ice cream sounded like the perfect way to spend an evening alone.

"Bertha! My lord it's been ages!"

A glance to the left confirmed Bertha's biggest fear. It was Loraine, her nemesis.

"Why Loraine! You look positively marvelous! Have you lost weight?"

"So nice of you to notice. I could give you the name of my trainer if you want. I am sure he could help you with your weight as well," said Loraine appearing sincere.

"That is so sweet of you!" snarled Bertha, "In exchange, I can give you the number of my uncle the plastic surgeon. Tell him I sent you and I am sure you will get a good price on a nose job. Not that you need one. Yours is just perfectly prominent as it is."

"Why thanks Bertha, but you know Sam always says he loves me just the way I am. He is such a great guy."

Sam had been Bertha's boyfriend before Loraine had stolen him.

"Oh! I thought you and Sam broke up after he was caught having that homosexual affair with the mayor."

"They never proved that Bertha and you know it! Besides, if anything was going to make him change teams, it would have been the time he spent with you!"

That was it. Bertha had had enough. She picked up a bunch of grapes and threw them at Loraine.

Loraine dived behind the mangos. She reached up for ammo and began lobbing pears over towards the banana stand where Bertha had taken cover.

Bertha grabbed a can of whipped cream and took a big drag. This could get ugly.

word count 299
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433384-Supermarket-Encounter