*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433869-Bits-and-Pieces-Ultra-Short-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1433869
This is the first in a collection of small 'bits' I write about my often over-real dreams.
A brief note I didn't have room for in the description: Grimmalkin of Deviant Art (and another site I will not post the name of due to it's mature content) is an artist I truly adore. Grimmalkin's work is so inspiring that it's has been known to influence my dreams. As these shorts are based on dreams I have some portions may resemble some of the subjects of her art and writing (most particularly the trees).

    The starless sky above seems too close. A cloying blue-black curtain hanging over the nearly barren landscape brushing the fringes of the horizon and the uppermost branches of the low iron lantern trees with it's velvet edges.
    This is a dead, rotting land ruled by silence. The only light is provided by the round, frosted lanterns growing on the gnarled iron trees that hunch their tired, battered bodies over the cold, ash colored sand and shed their flickering, sickly green light in small pools, weak against the darkness.
    The cracked asphalt road, it's painted lines long since worn away by the blowing sands seems to run on forever in either direction, never turning. The warm, acrid breezes blowing down it's length twirl patterns in the sand and bring with them the smell of limestone, rot, and car exhaust.
    The bus that rumbles slowly along the road is as battered as the rest of this desert land. It's sides have been almost completely stripped of it's original paint and what is left has turned a pale, sun bleached, orange.
© Copyright 2008 Alva Keeler (cyanide at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433869-Bits-and-Pieces-Ultra-Short-1