*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1434998-Operation-Envisage
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1434998
Alex Rider is once again in danger, but Alex has no idea how much danger he is in!
         Alex Rider sat up in his bed inquisitively inspecting his surroundings. The room was dark and the walls were made of steel. The room, if you could call it one, had an aroma of mold. There was water dripping slowly, methodically, from a part of the roof. It seemed to be a countdown to Alex's ghastly destiny.
         Suddenly, the steel door creaked open revealing a largely built man, followed by a shorter woman. The woman was wearing a white lab coat and had a cold expression. She wore black-rimmed glasses that seemed to have slid down her nose. Small studs clung to her ears.
         "It is time," the man said simply.
         Alex looked at the man pondering what could have happened to him. The man walked over to Alex briskly and grabbed him by his arm. Alex taken unawares, struggled to gain footing as the man dragged him out of the room into the corridor.
         The corridor looked much like the room, made of steel. Small lamps hung every few feet along the wall. Alex finally struggled to his feet and walked briskly along side the man and woman. They reached the end of the corridor and turned sharply left. A single door was at the end of the gloomy, ominous hallway.
         The man knocked loudly.
         "Come in," a voice from within replied. The door creaked as it opened revealing a large study. The walls were a dark green and reminded Alex instantly of the moldy room he was just in. The man that had replied was seated at a large ornate desk in the center of the room. The swivel chair was facing towards the window opposite Alex. The man kept a tight grip on Alex's arm.
         "It has been a long waited pleasure, Mr. Rider." He spun the chair around to reveal his face.
         He was in his mid-thirties, and had maple colored hair. He wore a slick black suit that contoured to his well built body. You could tell at once he had an attitude like that of vinegar.
         "Excuse me?" Alex asked twisting his face in question.
         "You don't know who I am, Alex?" the man asked.
         Alex stared at the man blankly, so he continued.
         " I am Devon Baxter, leader of the Elite Force- a force that has threatened your poor little life several times. Yet every time my men come back empty handed. Every time my men have some little story about how you slipped through there hands once again. Well, not today, Mr. Rider. Or should I say, brother?
         That last word struck Alex to the core. Brother? Family?
         "But. . . But. . . Baxter?" Alex said inquisitively.
         "I changed my name when I joined the Elite Force. Rider was no longer suitable for me, and it dishonored me greatly."
         It all began to sink in, but. . .
         "But why?" Alex requested.
         "Because you, y-y-you just wouldn't listen to what I had to say. I tried to lead you on a path where you could be great, a path where you could actually be successful, but you just wouldn't listen."
         "Don't you remember D' Arc, Alex? The man that took you under his wing. Yes, Scorpia is just a network of the Elite Force."
         Alex racked his brain for the name, but nothing came to. . . D' Arc! Oliver D' Arc! Of course, the man who had been in charge of Alex and his training while he was part of Scorpia!
         "You will never win, Mr. Baxter!" Alex shouted. "Mrs. Jones and Mr. blunt will be here soon!"
         "Oh, no Mr. Rider. I don't think you realize the vast influence we have in the world. Even perhaps- in the Military Intelligence."
         The words seemed to echo around the room. Military Intelligence. Military Intelligence.
         Alex got frustrated and ripped his arm free of his "guard". The man suddenly surprised with the quick movement, let the arm slip through his grip.
         "Shoot him!" Devon Baxter yelled. That was the last word Alex heard before he left this vast, enormous world we dub as Earth.
         Alex Rider lay there in his own blood. Lifeless. Motionless. Dead!
         Alex suddenly bolted upright rubbing his eyes like windshield wipers. He tried to look around, but his eyes were clouded with blackness.
         His body suddenly became stiff. That smell, he recognized it distinctly- the aroma of mold.
         His vision came into focus on a small room of silver. Alex began to panic. What was happening? I just saw this in my dream. Suddenly, a door opened revealing a largely built man, followed by a shorter woman. Alex sat there frozen as the man began walk briskly towards him. . .
© Copyright 2008 P.H. Savage (savagerox001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1434998-Operation-Envisage