*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436328-Iris-Chapter-I
Rated: E · Chapter · Dark · #1436328
Chapter 1 of Iris. Inspired by KH and the song by Goo Goo Dolls. Please leave feedback.
Alone Infinity sat, gazing out her window, watching the stars fall behind the clouds and losing themselves momentarily before lighting the darkness once again. Angels in flight…she thought, remembering all she was told. A falling star was a guardian angel, lost. Keep looking…I’m here she begged. Life was empty, life was cruel. She stared at her pale hands. “I am a ghost…” she whispered. “Am I even alive? How do I know when there’s nothing left in the world?” she reached for her knife once more and ran it across her fingers, slitting each one in turn. The blood emerged rapidly and spilled down her hand. She sighed and held her arm out the window, caressing the air.
The wind blew through her raven hair. I’m here… It was as though it was the spirits’ way of telling her they were with her. I’m here…
“Can I tempt you into fires, babe?” a voice said from behind her. A voice so fluid, so beautiful. She turned with great speed and stared at her captor. He stood, a vision of darkness, emerging from flames. She shook with every emotion left in her tiny body and walked to face him. He paused, tall and masculine, his black cloak hiding most of him, aside from the silver strands of his hair laying over his shoulders. “You can’t fight the tears that aren’t coming,” he whispered, fully aware of her strong will to appear unfeeling. Something was different about this man, mysterious, he sent chills up her spine as he spoke, she had never seen his eyes for the mask covering them.
“Battles don’t last forever. You have to talk at some point,” he said firmly. Infinity turned her head away from him.
“You took me away from it all. Everything I had, everything I loved…” she choked, trying to sound angry.
“My orders were clear. We need you,”
“You need my magic, not me. What happens when you have it?”
There was no answer from the man. He bowed his head away, it suddenly hurt to look at her.
“I thought that was the answer,” she whispered. Falling to her knees she broke down and buried her face in her hands, sobbing. The man was taken aback and felt unsure of how to act. This girl had so much power, yet out of the two of them she seemed the most human. He knelt beside her and placed his hand softly on her shoulder. Infinity didn’t react, she continued crying. The man felt consumed with guilt.
“You’ve gotta’ understand,” he began, trying to explain, “Without you…without you it’s hopeless…We’ll never win,” he whispered gently in her ear. The girl stopped crying but wouldn’t look him in the face. A sweep of guilt fell over him once more. He rose to stand.
“I’m sorry,” he said, not looking at her directly, and leaving the cold cell.
Infinity was alone once again.
© Copyright 2008 AnsiStar (dybim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436328-Iris-Chapter-I