*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436544-The-First-Big-Sled-Ride
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1436544
This story is about twin boys who go sledding during a blizzard.
The First Big Sled Ride

George and Joe are jumping for joy as the radio announcer states that all area schools are closed for the day due to blizzard conditions. They had gotten a new toboggan just a week before and what better time for the two nine-year-old twins to try out their new toy than a day with lots of snow and no school?

They rush downstairs to ask their mother, who is standing over the stove cooking their breakfast, if they can go sledding since there is no school. She turns to her two sons and says with concern that only a mother can have, “Now boys, do you realize how much snow we are supposed to get? Do you know how windy it is going to be? You both will end up getting chilled to the bone.”

Both boys look innocently at their mother, then at each other. When they look back at their mother, smiles appear on their faces, as if they know they could talk her into just about anything.

“Mom,” Joey says with a pleading voice, “we’re only sledding in the backyard. You can watch us through the window.” His mother couldn’t argue with that. They have a big backyard with a gently slope for sled riding.

She sighs defeatedly and says, “Okay, but only after you eat your breakfast.” The boys let out a gleeful shout, then sit at the table to eat their breakfast of toast, sausage, and orange juice. Within a short time, the twins have on their snowsuits, gloves, hats and ski boots with extra layers of clothes underneath their winter gear. They run outside and grab their toboggan.

With George sitting in the front of the toboggan to steer, Joey gives the two-seated sled a shove to start it down the gentle slope. Joey hops behind George and away they go. They feel the rush of the cold breeze on their faces as the snow flies behind them.

The toboggan comes to a slow stop at the bottom of the small hill and they climb off laughing and howling excitedly. “Boy, that’s fun,” Joey yells breathlessly over the wind. “Let’s do it again,” laughed George.

The twins pull the toboggan back up the hill and do it again and again. After quite a few fun trips up and down their backyard hill, they are shivering and are soaked all through their winter attire. Their feet are soggy and dripping wet from the melting snow.

They decide to heat back into the house, take off their wet clothes, and put on dry ones their mother has ready for them in the mud room. They head into the kitchen and sit down to enjoy a hot cup of homemade hot chocolate their mother has set on the table for each of them.

Both boys are now happy, content, and warm after their first big sled ride of the blizzard season.
© Copyright 2008 bjshaffer40 (bjshaffer40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436544-The-First-Big-Sled-Ride