*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436655-A-New-Day
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1436655
This is about a police chief enjoying his first day of retirement.
A New Day

Leo had worked for the Gilead Police Department for 45 years, and was finally ready to enjoy his retirement. He had a lot of good times with the force, but just as many bad times. He made it to Chief of Police after only 15 years on patrol. He was going to miss the fast-paced life of being an officer of the law and his sworn duty to protect and serve. However, it was time for him to step down and let someone else have a turn.

It was his first day of not having to report to the office, and he had a lot of plans made for the next few years. But he wasn’t quite sure where to begin. Leo thought he’d sleep in on this first day of not having to report to anyone or give a reprimand to his assistant chief. However, he woke up at his usual 5:45 a.m. without even setting his alarm clock. He looked over at his wife of nearly 50 years and thought to himself, “It amazes me how she’s put up with my work and with me for this long.” He loved her more now than he did when they first got married and started their family.

Since he was awake, he firmly decided that he’d get his morning coffee from the kitchen and set on the patio. He watched the sunrise for the first time in ages, and actually enjoyed it. Leo didn’t want to wake his wife, so he then went for a brisk walk around the huge property to admire what he acquired over the years. He didn’t have the time to do so before he retired because he’d always been at the precinct for hours at a time working on one type of case or another.

By the time he got back to the beautiful home he’d purchased about 30 years ago, it was lunch time. His wife, Mildred, had prepared a light lunch and sat it in the breakfast nook for the two of them to enjoy. They both sat there and reminisced over the years and happenings they’d gone through together. It was so relaxing for Leo.

He realized then, as he and Mildred conversed, that he made a wonderful life for the two of them. Leo also realized that he did not regret any of the choices he made.

By the end of the day, after their evening meal, Leo and Mildred stood on the riverbank near their immaculate home and surrounding property holding each other and watched the sunset. Leo thought, “Retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. With a wife and family like mine, it’s better!” And so it goes --- the first day of retirement for the Chief of Police.
© Copyright 2008 bjshaffer40 (bjshaffer40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436655-A-New-Day