*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437831-The-Rose
Rated: E · Monologue · Family · #1437831
serious talk with a 7 yr. old
My granddaughter spent the afternoon with me.

We pulled a few weeds, watched a couple of birds and just talked.
Mind you, she is only seven.

"Do you think I'm pretty?" she asked.

I told her she was very pretty.  She said a girl in school called her "ugly".

I took her over to the rose bush. I placed her hand on a small rosebud.
"You are as pretty as this" I said.  Then I told her that she, like the rosebud, was still young and needed to grow, but soon would become as beautiful as the rose in full bloom.
This brought a smile to her face.

I understand the impact of the word "ugly".

Just watch TV and thumb through a magazine, the reason is crystal clear.

To be beautiful you must eat this, wear that and change everything from head to toe, inside and out. There are doctors, pills and formula's that will 'fix' everything. Make you "beautiful".

If people aren't happy with who or what they are, changing their physical appearance won't make them better. They are still the same on the inside.

I know people of average looks who truely shine. Beauty radiates out of them because of who they are, not because of their looks.
I don't understand why some folks are so quick to judge others on looks or wealth.

How do I tell this innocent little girl that people can be cruel, self-centered and shallow? That words like love, respect and manners are just words to them.

I won't tell my granddaughter  my thoughts today. When she is a little older, we will talk more about the roses.

She is as beautiful as any rosebud God ever created. I know she will be a real beauty in time.
© Copyright 2008 southpaw380 (fetchsilentl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437831-The-Rose