*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437892-Seelings-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1437892
The podship arrives at the new planet for daily flash fiction
Podship 233 completed its braking sequence while still a million kilometers out. It was time to wake up Subcrew Alpha. It would be up to that specialized group to make decisions about how the final approach should proceed.

Like every member of the podship’s crew, each of these four individuals had been selectively bred and trained to perform specific roles. Centuries ago, the program designers had left nothing to chance. Genetic mapping had allowed them to ensure each new crew had the right mix of leadership, creativity, analytical ability and of course, fertility. Gene banks stored onboard contained a much more random mix of traits. Mother Nature would be allowed to take her course once a toehold on the new planet had been established.

Captain Powers was the first one to enter the bridge. He had been roused from his stasis chamber and was immediately fully alert. A quick needle shower followed by an energy drink and he was ready to go. Within minutes, he was joined by First Officer Brad Miller, Chief Scientist Lora Markey and Systems Engineer Sam Thompson. They greeted each other briefly and then went to work at their respective stations.

To them, they had last seen each other only an hour or so ago. The stasis chambers had kept them safely tucked away as they made their long trip to this strange planet. Thirty-five years ago their mother ship USS Infinity had launched them towards this new world while she continued on her journey across the galaxy and beyond.

“Captain, you need to take a look at this,” said Sam Thompson from his systems console.

“What do you have Sam?” Powers said, walking over to take a look.

“Sir, it would appear that we are not alone.”

“Computer,” said Powers, “wake the Weapons Officer now.”

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437892-Seelings-Chapter-2