*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454008-Seedlings-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1454008
Continuing saga of deep space adventure written for Daily Flash Fiction
The artifact was ancient, huge and apparently dead. It was more like a small moon than an alien craft, except for the fact that most moons were not metallic with antennas and other structures bristling from their surface.

Podship 233 had been in orbit around it for three weeks. They used every non-invasive test they had in an attempt to discover more about the colossus that orbited their new home-world.

Captain Powers sat at the head of the table during the command and control strategy session.

“It’s clear that we have learned all that we can from a distance. It is time to send over a manned probe.”

He looked around the table at his highly capable advisory team. They had all been selectively bred for their analytical and precise decision making abilities. No one questioned the captain’s comments. They all agreed with him. It was time to board the craft.

“Sam and Ron, I want you to put together a team and be ready within twenty-four hours.”

Sam Thompson and Ron Capshaw were the ship’s Systems Officer and Weapons Officer respectively.

The next morning, the shuttle silently floated away from the Podship and began its short trek to the artifact. Previous scans had identified several possible means of entry. They approached the one designated entry point 27 alpha. It had been chosen for its isolation. There were no protuberances nearby that looked threatening.

“Podship, we are now ten meters out and closing,” Sam’s voice had an understandable hint of anxiety in it.

Five minutes later, “we have docked and will now attempt to gain entry.”

The communication line went dead.

Everyone on the Podship looked at each other anxiously.

Suddenly communications came back on line. The voice sounded deep and coarse.

“You are not welcome here.”

Word count 300

© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454008-Seedlings-Chapter-3