*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438006-Renewed-Faith-and-Spirit
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1438006
Sister Ruth's faith and vows are shaken.
Renewed Faith and Spirit

Sister Ruth has always had a strong belief in God --- ever since she was a small child of four years old. She has read every word of the Holy Bible at least five times and has memorized many verses of the Scriptures. She knows all the stories and teachings in the Bible. Her firm belief is why she has joined the convent at the young age of 19. Her parents have always supported her in every decision she makes.

The day Sister Ruth joins the convent and takes her vows is a glorious day indeed. Her parents are thrilled when Ruth becomes a full-fledged nun and fulfills her dream of teaching young children at the local Catholic school.

On one early Spring morning, however, Ruth’s faith is shaken by a terrible tragedy. One of her brightest students is involved in a fatal vehicle accident. The young boy of only eight years old is flown by helicopter to the nearest trauma facility a few miles from the convent. The accident happens right in front of the school as the children are arriving for class. Timmy’s parents drive him to and from school each and every day.

This tragic day, Timmy’s parents are turning into the school when, out of nowhere, comes a speeding tractor trailer through the school zone. The small vehicle that carries Timmy and his parents is hit from behind. Timmy is thrown through the front windshield of the car and lands on the edge of the school lawn. His parents sustain only minor injuries. Timmy, however, is barely breathing. By the time the helicopter gets the young boy to the hospital, he is gone.

Sister Ruth is an eyewitness to the horrible crash and starts questioning God as to why He takes precious young lives such as Timmy’s. She takes a few weeks off from her teaching to deal with her grief and seriously considers leaving the convent.

The first few days after Timmy’s death, she is angry, grief-stricken, and barely able to function. A week or so after this horrific scene replaying in her mind, she receives the answer to her question of “Why, God? Why?”

She gets a vision from God while she is meditating and reading her Bible. God answers her with this: “My daughter, I need young children here with me. You will always remember Timmy as one of the brightest in your class. Since you have taught him using my Word, he is ready to live forever in the Kingdom of Heaven. As long as you remember Tim in your mind and your heart, he will always be alive. Now go and do what you do best --- teaching young children about me.”

With those words, Sister Ruth does go back to the convent and her teaching with more faith than before. She also renews her vows. She will always remember Timmy. When she has memories of him, he will always be alive in her heart and mind, just as God has said.

There is a plaque now at the school with a picture of Timmy in God’s Kingdom so that everyone can remember the young boy. It has the inscription, “Gone, but not forgotten. One of God’s Angels and one of ours.”
© Copyright 2008 bjshaffer40 (bjshaffer40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438006-Renewed-Faith-and-Spirit