*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441102-Abortion-Day
by Wynn
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Personal · #1441102
This poem mirrors my graduation ceremony and a trip to the doctors office.
The purple gown hung from the hanger perfectly pressed. My cap proudly sat on the bathroom counter with the bobby pins. Hours before the ceremony and my heart already beat faster. A few family members arrive full of love and appreciation but you were too busy; so your tickets went unused.

I showered, dried my hair and applied my make up. While you sat in a doctors office and waited for a nurse to call her name, then she followed the nurse and you'd wait. Just like I waited for you to show that day.

I danced around in my black skirt-the one with red stripes and pleats along it. I danced while they set up chairs, hundreds and hundreds of chairs. And you were still waiting.

Then before I left the house, before they called my name and before I received that 'official' paper; before all of that; I opened a box. A box your sister gave me. The silver caught the light. They got my surprise on film. We hugged and I wore it as I walked out the door. They waited until the doors would open for them, but I walked over to say goodbye to everyone I'd gone thru school with. We cried a little and hugged a lot. It was strange seeing them all dressed up and talking of the foreign places they would go.

By now you weren't waiting any longer. The doctor brought her out and explained that she was a bit groggy but would be find in a couple hours. So you went home and held her while she slept.

By them the parents had piled in and cameras were flashing constantly. We stood in line and walked arm in arm with good friends. We strolled to our seats and sat down to watch the show. And she slept.

We sat while they talked and lied about what great kids we were. They takled about reminised for hours wile we tried to conatin both our excitement and our bordeom by whispering under our breath.

And you watched her sleep. You got up to fix dinner for yourself but never left her out of your sight very long.

The speaches were told and the songs were sung and they blew the whistle for my row to stand up. My heart skipped and I smiled like a fool. Then they called my name and like everyone before my I looked for my family, waved and grinned. I shook somone's hand while handing me my diploma and I sat down again.

She slept soundly, overwhelmed by the events of the day. You crawled back into bed with her and tried to sleep.

Then it was over for me- the big event was over. I found my parents, my boyfriend and others who cared and we all went home.

Exhausted from the excitement I laid in bed thinking and wondering why you never showed. Just as you laid in bed feeling only slightly guilty.

Then sleep came with darkness.
© Copyright 2008 Wynn (jessiewynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441102-Abortion-Day