*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441547-Dashing-Through-the-Snow
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1441547
Snow way this will end well
Normally, all the snow I see is on the news during the winter storms. However, I do once in a long while get to go up mountains that get large amounts of snow annually.

During one of my trips up the snowy peaks, I learned about a snow activity that I thoroughly enjoy: Snow tubing. The concept is simple, slide down a snow covered hill on top of a rubber inner tube. All that is required at the site I participate at is an admission ticket. Everything else is provided.

Except free Hot Chocolate...

...and Dignity insurance.

After doing a few sample runs, I decided to go down hill in a more "cool" manner. I backed up about 10 feet from the edge of the slope, ran as fast as I could, and jumped in a position similar to the swan dive. As I flew through the air in slow motion, R. Kelly began to sing to me.

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky.
I believe that you messed this up.
I believe you will not land right.
I believe you dorked this up.
I believe this will be a sight.


I learned two valuable lessons in physics that day:

Lesson on physics 1:
Rubber bounces on snow and ice.

Lesson on physics 2:
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Thanks Newton.

I landed on the left side of my inner tube. We bounced in the air and turned upside down. My tube proceeded to ride ME down the slope.

I swear I heard a sonic boom as I went flying down the slope. Snow was entering my coat through my neck and coming out near my ankles as water. When I finally found enough breath to turn this story into a XGC rating, my shoulder caught the snow. I flipped back on top of my tube and finished the last 4 feet of the run.

As I struggled to my feet, I couldn't find my hat. After a few dizzy moments, I spotted it near the top of the hill. The guy behind me decided to be a hero and went for my hat. He went down on his tube with his legs crossed. Using more grace than I ever had, he lifted his tube at a 45 degree angle and picked up my hat.

I politely thanked him without speaking my mind, "Show off"

I refused to give up after one try. So once again, I backed up and jumped. I didn't know why at the time, but R. Kelly was giving me an encore.

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky.
I believe that you messed this up.
I believe you will not land right.
I believe you dorked this up.
I believe this will be a sight.


Yeah...

...He grabbed my hat again.
© Copyright 2008 Viktor Serecros (snowplow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441547-Dashing-Through-the-Snow