*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442354-Forgotten-Kisses
by Alikia
Rated: E · Novel · Romance/Love · #1442354
A brush with death steals the memories of a promised love and a new life for Rath.
Devil’s Lane

As we all know the season is upon us once again. It is this authors goal to keep everyone in town apprised of what is going on.  As to who is with who at which party. What young miss trapped what young Lord into marriage. Who was seen kissing who. As we all know those ladies that love to gossip over tea never tell everyone what is going on.  So this season my goal is to let everyone know what is going on before those flapping jaws get it all messed up.
With that said let me start.
It s said that the season will kick off with Lady Ann’s ball this evening. Shall we see who is found in the garden first? Or perhaps who is the first one spotted sneaking off to the servants’ quarters or some other hide away.








Chapter 1
London Upper East Side
Barclay Residence





         The flyer was slid through the mail slot just as the last three seasons. The season had just begun yet everyone in ton waited to see what would be wrote each day.
         “Maggie come see, it is about the Duke and Duchess Barclay this time.” The maids knew it was pure gossip but what better was there to do on their coffee break, then read about the lives of the upper crust. “Listen here.”




Devils Lane

It seems that Lord Barclay has returned from Scotland. Though he does carry a new scar cresting his right temple. Giving him a sinister look to add to his roughish appeal. There is word that there was a slight bit of trouble at Lady Ann’s ball last eve, something about a certain young Lord and young bell caught sneaking off in the garden. Not that any of the ladies in town ever stood a chance to snag this catch for their daughter before he left. Word is they have a standing bet that he will not be trapped in to a marriage by the end of the season. Word from the Duchess is that he will never bring her a darling grandchild, which she will die without every having the joy. As for the Duke he is distressed that his heir shows no interest in the fairer sex past simple flirting or the occasional dalliance with the maids. So maids in the Barclay residents beware the young Lord has returned home. Here is hoping that you are able to keep your skirts down.

         Rath heard the laughter coming from the kitchen wondering whom it was wandered in. Listening to Betsy reading to Maggie he could not conceal his mirth. “Here I come for a cup of coffee before my ride in the park and I find you to reading that scandal sheet.” Both maids turned to face him. “Now don’t worry I will not be throwing your skirts over your head here. I do know a bit of discretion. I see the latest addition of the ‘Devils Lane’ has arrived.” He held his hand out.
         “I am sorry Sir, Betsy found it.” The young maid handed the flyer over then fled behind her friend. Rath laughed at their distress over being caught.
         Reading the flyer he had to laugh. So the author had decided to choose his family this time. He was sure mother would be none to happy with this.
Reading through it, the author never gave any inkling as to who they were. This is what intrigued him most. The damned flyer was the talk of the town. With the season just starting he knew it was all he would ever hear about. Rath was still laughing when he entered the breakfast hall, holding the flyer.
“Oh dear lord that isn’t the flyer already?” Rath wasn’t sure whether to hand it over. Yet the look his mother shot him was enough to make him comply without a word.
“Now mother I was on my best behavior last night, and I promise it was not I that snuck off into the garden.” The scandalized look he received made him laugh
“Rath I know it was not you that was sneaking away into the garden last night, but it was you brother Damon. Dear me, I wish I knew who wrote this. I would have to take then to task about this trash.”
“Mother you know every word is true, so what is trash. You worry every day I will not marry.” He kissed her on the cheek and left the house.
© Copyright 2008 Alikia (catzeyez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442354-Forgotten-Kisses