*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442650-Forgotten-Kisses
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Alikia
Rated: E · Novel · Romance/Love · #1442650
Chapter Three

Chapter Three


Marcus and the Duchess had to literally beg Rath to attend the evening events. After his encounter in the park he was being very quiet. “If we don’t start making the rounds the mothers will be hounding us here as we stand.” Rath had no interest in the frivolities of the season.
“I have no interest in any woman until I find out who wants me dead. What do I have to offer?” He saw her then standing in the back of the room, holding a glass of punch, trying to remain unseen. “There is no one I would be interested in.”
Marcus followed his gaze, noting that Rath had found her already. “No you have no interest in any other than Constance. As you have done nothing but stare at her since you saw her.” Rath was no longer listing to him. He walked toward her. She had her head down looking at the floor, like she was contemplating something.
Constance knew he was watching her. She had tried to ignore his presence, yet she could not. She made her way to the terrace doors, disappearing into the darkness.
Rath watched as she escaped into the darkness, following behind her. He found her sitting on the stone bench just inside the gardens. “Why do you run away?”
“Please just go away.” Constance stood to leave. Rath pulled her into his arms kissing her fully, pressing himself against her. Constance pushed trying to free herself, she did not want to feel again.
Rath looked down seeing those emerald eyes filled with tears. Not knowing what to do he loosened his grip on her. She managed to free herself, turning she ran. Not stopping until she reached her street.
She did not see anyone around she turned down the lane. Walking up to her flat she stepped inside closing the door behind her. Rath watched not a single candle burned. For some reason he could not bring himself to leave. He had to know she was safe.
What had happened to bring her to be living here. She had run to the east end. No respectable families lived in the area. He did not realize how long he stood there. A runner came to the door, he turned holding a package.
Rath followed the boy a few blocks until he handed the package off to another runner. He lost track of the package after the fourth hand off. Rath could not understand what it could possible be. What was so important that no one could know where it was going. Noting the sun was already coming up he head home.
He did not even stop when his mother called after him. “Rath are you listening to me?” Madeline knew he had been out all night “Rath.”
He turned looking at his mother and smiled, “You are up early.” Waiting for her to just unleash on him, he decided better, “Do me the favor and do not ask. I have had a long night and am not in the mood.”
Madeline watched her son climb the stairs wondering what was wrong. He had not been the same since he came home. She knew he had left the party early, so where had he been.
Knowing him she figured maybe he had spent the night at his club. She knew he still had gaps in his memory, and wondered if this was his problem. She had seen Constance at the ball just before he disappeared. Hoping she would get the chance to speak with her, explain what had happened before anything really got out of hand.
Madeline saw the flyer come through the mail slot. Moving to retrieve it before the maids spirited it away, she took it to the breakfast hall.


Devil’s Lane
The gardens seem to be a favored place for the Barclay sons. Though we could not tell you the name of the lady we hear she spurned the advances, running off into the night. There was a scuffle between Jonathan Delray and Young Lord Belmont in Hyde Park over a certain young lady.


The flyer went on about several different fights and who was seen kissing who. Along with a little tidbit About Lady Summersbee kicking her no good son out of the house.
Madeline laid the flyer down now knowing that the son they were referring to was Rath. He must of followed Constance out into the gardens. That was why she had left, and why Rath was now just getting home.









Constance sat sipping her tea, wanting only to know what she was going to do. Rath had kissed her last night, after that she had spent the remainder of the night crying her eyes out. Only managing to get about an hour of sleep. She never wanted to step outside her flat again. The rain had caught her unprepared. Before she even reached the paper she had been soaked through to her petticoats.
Standing she went to find out who would be knocking at her door at this hour. A feeling of dread filled every sense she knew who she would see. Looking through the threadbare curtains she saw Rath standing there.
He must have followed her last night. She could not let him in. she couldn’t let him know how she was living. “Constance I know you are there. Please I need to talk to you. Let me explain.”
“Go away.” She slid down sitting with her back to the door, placing her head down.
“Please I want to explain. There is so much I do not remember. I did not want to be gone. Hell I did not even know who I was.” Rath waited hoping she would give in.
“Just go away. I don’t care. I do not want to hear your excuses. I do not ever want to see you again.” He heard her moving away from the door.
“Mister leave the lady alone. She don’t need the likes of you. Things are hard here without your kind.” Rath stared at the man. “Leave the lady be. She don’t need you, go away. Leave her in peace.”
Constance heard Bennie talking to Rath, then saw him walk away. “He’s gone My Lady. I have that bread you asked for.”
Slowly she opened the door afraid it was a trick. “Thank you Bennie.” She handed him what money she had left, “I will get you more I promise.”
He nodded giving her a brilliant smile, “Are you sick, you do not look well.”
“Just tired and soaked through Bennie. Thank you.” She closed the door bolting it behind him. Wanting nothing more than to crawl in bed and never wake. She went upstairs trying to just forget everything.


After spending the afternoon in bed Constance felt much more like herself. Watching the couples line the floor she was able to take down a few discreet notes, about who shared dance partners and who had been left standing on the wall.
Accepting a glass of wine from a passing servant Constance made her way around the room. Noting who was standing a little close to who. All the things she would need for her next copy. This one had to be perfect, her last one had left too much unsaid. The note she had received with payment had said as much.
They were not paying for simple drivel they needed more and expected more, even without knowing the author. Smiling to herself her attention was directed toward the doorway, and a few raised voices.
“Sir I am sorry but you are not on the guest list.” Constance moved closer so as to hear what was being said. “I beg you leave so not to cause a scene.”
“Scene I have every right to be here. This is my brother’s home.” Nathaniel held his ground, “I am family.”
“Sir you are not on the guest list.” Nathaniel pushed past the butler. Making it not more than two steps down before he was physically removed from the manor. Constance watched what had happened knowing this was what she needed. Stepping closer to hear anything said.
“Damn it Nathaniel your drunk,” Thomas stood there looking at his brother, “Go home sober up. You know you are not welcome in my home. I cannot afford your debts. Nor do I wish to.” Thomas turned leaving him there.
“So that is how it will be. You are no family of mine.” Watching Nathaniel walk off, Constance notice Thomas did not turn.
“Make sure he gets home alright please.” Thomas handed the man a few notes. Smile Constance knew he might not want to face his brother with his friends around yet he did still care. No matter how much indebt he became he would help him out, for now.
The remainder of her evening was spent listening for anything that might cause a stir in society. “I believe this is our dance.” Not even realizing how close she was to the floor, Constance found herself whirling around in his arms. “If you would give me a chance to explain.”
Looking into his eyes she wanted nothing more than to give him the chance. Yet her heart was closed off to everything except the pain. “There is no need for you to explain. I believe I understand perfectly well my lord.” Keeping her emotions in check Constance smiled, “I was nothing more than any other lady in this room. A simple dalliance, a test of your skills. See how far you can take something then walk away.” The music stopped. “I understand full well what I was to you my lord.” Her face held no emotion there was nothing left to feel. Her heart was cold to Rath, no room for feelings in the life she led now. “thank you for the dance but I must be leaving.”
“Constance,” turning back she just stood there waiting. “I do not remember.”
“That is rich. You my lord do not remember. I see now, then I was of little importance to you.” Watching her leave Rath could not understand why she would not listen.
“Old man she is a lost caused.” Marcus slapped him on the back, “Give it up, you lost her before you even returned. Why bother trying to explain now.”
“Marcus I need to make her understand.”
“Leave it be for now.” Knowing Marcus was right Rath stood watching her leave through the front doors. Not looking back once. She was not part of his life anymore. He needed to understand that, move on with his life.
© Copyright 2008 Alikia (catzeyez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442650-Forgotten-Kisses