*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443406-Return-of-Idlan
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1443406
the start of a story stil in progress,a tale of loss and yet of learing and gain.
                Here and there flames still could be seen, smoke smoldering wisps curling into the air. As far as the mortal eye could see nothing but rubble, what were once a booming growing town, now ashes and bones? Romel studied the area around him, the leather of his tunic wet from his sweat, making the heat around him almost unbearable. Even though it had been an hour past, the smell of burning flesh still lingered a familiar smell to Romel, Thinking that there had to be someone still alive, he trod through the ashes kicking up smoke as he went
“I still do not understand, Ohmar.” Romel stopped and rested on his sword still in his hand. “This I had thought was done as a last resort.”
        A stirring in the dust caught his attention for just a moment, but, alas, it was just a tremit scrambling under the ashes
."Now you are telling me that you knew all along this would happen.”
        Romel stood feeling the tiredness in his body, how long since he had rested?
        What once was the courtyard, now all that stood was the columns that supported the dome of the roof. Romel leaned against one, pondering what has happened.
“My dear child, dost thou forget who I am? What I told thee was truly foreseen by the elders and me. Thou dost know that since the time we evolved into the plasma stage our minds have become more acute to fate.”
        The image hovered around the figure of Romel, stopping in front of him forcing Romel to look up at him.
“Thou art the one now, who possesses the bio-nat magic, verily I truly hope twill be enough to give thy clan its glory again."
        Romel, looked into the face of his tutor, yes it was true, if there be anyone he trusted it was Ohmar. If it hadn’t been for him Romel would not be here now among these ruins, even though he was responsible for the results.
Romel thought about when he first met Ohmar...
Romel and his parents had been out on the mountains of Morgrove searching for the singing sword of the Harpers, they had bought a map (or should we say traded one for another) and through the vine knew it to be a true map.
Even at the age of 12 Romel had the pure look of Idlan.
The steel blue eyes that seemed to stab you rather than look at you, the black hair, as if darkness was sitting on his head.
But there was something different about Romel, it wasn’t the wittiness he used so well in his talks nor was it the spryness that surprised everyone, no....there was something inside that made him different.
His agility was par none, his use of steel as good as any soldier of the king, in close combat he was a force to reckon with, it was as if he knew before hand the moves of his opponents (like he was cheating or something) sir what the soldiers would say.
But on this day none of that would help...............
Morgrove was known around the world as one of the most dangerous mountains, not because of the stones or weather of the mountain, no!
It was the mountain itself, the spirit inside (Teran) was not a good host towards visitors, she never wanted anyone on her and so made sure it was not an easy chore to go up her sides.
Donaute had studied the map two days before they made the trip up, so he knew from that and his times going up the mountain, whereabouts to go. A cave not to far up the east side.
His wife Holum a healer from the lands of Tran always beside her husband and Romel climbed the mountain with no resistance from Teran or any beasts of any kind (which in its self should have seen alarming) and finally coming to the entrance to the cave.
One by one they made their way through the small opening.
Donaute’s loud laughter could be heard through the opening, and once they were all standing there it became apparent why.
The cavern they were now in was huge; it was big enough for a giant to live comfortable. There were artifacts from all of the races scattered around, from all of the ages of history there was some artifact here, but the one they had come for was going to be hard to find, it was said the singing sword of the Harpers could only be held and used by one chosen, if this was true how were they going to take it out of here? But they figured they would come to a decision on that when they find it.
Shields so gold they shone, armor made from the fires of Del’ and all of the famous or not so famous weapons of history here for the taking, or so it seemed.
It was when they were heading towards the back of the cavern that they saw it, a brilliant light coming from the back of the wall, they hurried and pulled away shields and lamps, (lamps? yes they of course had to be the eye lamps) there it was.
It was then that something very strange happened.......,
The sword stood on end and started to sing......,
It wasn’t the singing that took them all by surprise but rather what the words were.
“R....O...M...E...L! R...O....M....E...L ! I am yours you are mine........... Take me by thy hand......hold me oh great warrior of Idlan!  So that my blade shall once again be felt in this world!”
They all looked at each other in disbelief “Did you hear that Romel?” his father said, his dark eyes still full of amazement. “Not only did the sword sing my son, but it called you by name, this is truly amazing!”
Romel only heard part of what his father was saying, he was slowly walking up to the sword.
Donaute realized he had been talking to air, and watched Romel as he walked, as if he was in a trance, towards the sword.
“This is something I would never have dreamed would happen, my love.” he said to Holum, walking over to where she was, and then taking her hands in his.
Holum though was involved in concentrating on her son, she was a healer, and right now her son was the most important thing to worry about, she sensed that there was something changing inside of him, and that made her worry. And what about this sword? There was something about it as well, why did it want her son so much? How did it know his name?
Romel stopped 5 feet or so from where the sword stood, he reached out his hand and waited....... but for what?
A wind came out of no where blowing the hair away from his face, his eyes locked on the blade of the sword, had taken a glazed look that didn’t make Homul feel at ease about this whole thing.
“Romel!....Romel , be careful my son. We do not know anything about the true power of the sword yet, feel with your mind, I sense something odd about all of this.” his mother cried, worrying what this artifact, and what it might have in store for her son.
The sword as if in answer to her words leapt into the air, hovering for just a minute spinning around throwing prisms around the cavern, be fore landing into Romel’s hand
Romel heard the gasps from his parents in the back of his mind, as he held the sword for the first time. It was warm almost hot to the touch, but very light, vibrating with an energy that seemed to fill his very soul.
“Donaute!... it is so light and I can feel energy so powerful. I could swing this sword all day and not get tired at all.” Romel said, testing it out, slashing, lunging and parrying about. The blade seemed to glow a white fire the more he used it, as if with every bit of energy he used it filled the blade with power.
Holum, with her husbands hand still in hers walked to where Romel stood, his arm raised above his head. The sword humming what seemed to be a sweet song.
“My son, I can only trust your feelings and instincts on what is happening,” she said, feeling her husbands hand on hers squeezing just enough to let her know that he also was worried about their son.
“I hope the steel of the ancients, serves you well and not hurt you instead.” she said, still uncertain about it. She was one of the best healers that were taught by Layana, and yet.........there was something she could not sense about the sword. All living beings have a conscious soul and although the sword was not a living being it still had a soul, and the soul she sensed was a very old one, one with great power, it also had a shield, a mental shield. Why would a sword possess such a thing? What kind of soul was really inside? Could her son control the power once he is aware of it? So many questions, without any answers ...yet!
Donaute had spotted something else by where the sword stood, believing it to be for the sword picked it up and walked back to where his wife and son stood talking.
“Take this my son, I believe it is the sheath for your sword,” giving his son a sheath made of an unknown fabric but smooth to the touch black as the night which was just as black as the hair on his head, almost like they were made for each other) down the sides were gold clusters in some kind of entwining design, on the front etched with diamonds was writing unknown to them.
“Sheath your sword for now Romel , and let us explore some more, there are so many relics here it is truly amazing that no one has come to get them before this, which is why we should get under way before someone else comes and finds this place.” he said, feeling a little edgy after he said it, but not knowing why.
After spending the afternoon looking through the artifacts that were there, they decided to rest and make camp. They had gotten used to the musky smell of the wet rocks, old leather, and even older relics of which was not known what they were. Magic? Weapons? So many relics but no answers. Romel had found armor from the reign of Remun, thought to have also perished, Donaute had found the scrolls of Yolas, which contained spells that no one remembered anymore, and Holum, well she really hadn’t been looking for anything still concerned for her son, but there appeared in her eyes something that did interest her in the far corner of the east wall she saw what looked like a cabinet of sorts, after walking up to it she saw that indeed it was, and inside were potions to hard to describe, some that would take years to find the ingredients, this was indeed a good find for her. But she like her husband still felt uneasy in this cavern.
“Well my son,” Donaute said holding the tome open, but looking at his son, “It would seem we have had a good day here, I would never have thought there would have been this much of the ancients left and still intact.”
Romel sitting across from his father holding what appeared to be some sort of golden rod, looked up at him
“Indeed, I agree. So many things here, like the sword, it is if I was destined to find this place. I guess the holken we got the map from was telling the truth.”
Knowing his wife had cast a spell of protection around the camp, Donaute’ felt a little more relaxed. He started to read one of the scrolls he picked up, ancient spells from races, some long gone.
‘These spells are so powerful’, he thought to himself’ the regeneration spell would be good for Humel to learn. But the other ones… How could the old ones use this kind of magic on each other? Is this why some races are no longer around?’
Too many questions, and only from reading these scrolls will he find the truth as to what had happened? Time will tell.
Romel finally was calming down. Finding this sword was more than he had thought would happen on this outing with his parents. For he was only a youngen’ things like this just do not happen to youngens, well not until today any way. And then there were the words the sword had spoken ‘warrior’ for one, Romel- warrior? This was a strange concept, not that he wasn’t adept in fighting. It was just the thought of him in a conquest of sorts. Then comes the other words it had said ‘ the glory of Idlan’ Now that was a deep statement, he knew there were not many Idlans around and at times it made him feel special,,, but there were other times that it made him feel lonely. The sword it would seem knew a lot more about things his clan than he did. But what did it all mean?
Humel and Donaute’ had always been good parents to Romel. Even though he wasn’t biologically theirs he was still brought up as theirs. Humel taught him the meaning of life and to feel empathy towards all living things, and always made sure he was as protected as her healing powers would allow.
Donaute’ had always been a scholar, using his knowledge to benefit him and his family. Donaute’ was what some would call a jack-of-trades, so many things he could do mostly from reading different tomes of learning, whether it be spells of building or finding items or knowing how to operate different machines left from the old times.
None of the past would help them this time though. Unknown to them, magic on or in the mountain of Morgrove, was invalid. So all though his mother had cast a shell spell, the spell had shattered before it even left her thoughts.
Once they were almost asleep, the shadows started to move.
Grags!!!!!!
If there were one race as old as Romels it would be the Grags.
How does one describe a race such as them?
It is hard for one to think how a creature could exist, looking the way a Grag looked, one prominent feature was the mouth.
It was said that when a Grag opens its mouth it eats your soul; its mouth was bigger than its head. Its eyes red and glowing, from the ambers the keeps it alive.
A cross between a Gosil and a Folive it would put fear in any man or woman just to look at it.It would be the last night that Romel would remember seeing and being with his parents.


“I thank thee stranger for thy help” Kelan said, brushing off the dust from the ground “ as thou couldst see I am not used to these surroundings, although the offender wouldst not be able to hurt this one it, twould seem thou art adept enough to overcome an obstacle such as the one presented.”
Lemar stood there looking at this stranger shaking her head the ramblings of Kelan were making her head hurt
“Oh, truly I am sorry; I did not introduce my self. My name is Kelan from the order of Lucrates.” Kelan turned to face the counter where once had stood the merchant.
“Why would someone like you be here Kelan? This is not the type of place that a female who looks like you would be.” Lemar walked behind the empty counter to the shelves behind it.
Why would someone who wears a robe, especially one that is blue with gold etchings? Come to the out backs? And one who couldn’t be more than 8 hands high… this seemed to be the most ridiculous thing yet today to happen.
“Well the reason I am here is to find someone, Lucrates sent me here. And it is important for me to find this person, although I do not know why, it is not for me to know.”
“Really? Well I suppose I could try and help you find this person. Do you know what this person looks like? Or name? What do you have as far as description?” Lemar put a bottle of dumer on the counter and opened it up took a small drink wiped her mouth, she offered some to Kelan but she refused it.
“Oh my indeed I have a name tis , Lemar from the flatlands of Pution.”
The bottle crashed to the floor as Lemar looked at Kelan as if in shock. Who is this child? She drew her sword before Kelan could react the sword was at her throat.
What happened next took Lemar completely by surprise. Kelan didn’t flinch instead she stood still, but her eyes had begun to glow. ‘This can’t be good’ Lemar thought to herself. She had been in battles before with mages, but they usually were helping someone not attacking as was the case with Kelan.
By now people from outside were coming into the store, cramming every nook and cranny to see what was going on. It was very unusual for a mage to be in conflict with a mortal especially one of Lemar’s caliber. None of them present would be prepared for what was about to happen.
Kelan had told Lemar she needed no help, she meant what she said. The level of magic she possessed was more than enough to handle many situations.
The store was now so jammed with onlookers it was surprising if there were any one left in town. They had at first come to see the red-haired Amazon warrior. But it changed once they got inside in a way it appeared funny. A leather clad warrior woman sword in hand with the blade resting against the throat of a little girl (well at least to everyone there that is what she looked like)
When Lemar first noticed the glow in Kelans eyes she was surprised but still angry. The anger changed to a little bit of fear when she began to feel the level of power emitting form this little person.
“You did not answer me Kelan, I asked you how you knew who I was?”
Lemar demanded, yet everyone there noticed the fear in her voice.
“How do you know so much about me? Answer me or I swear although I just saved your hide I can still take it!”
Lemar walked around the counter keeping the tip of the blade in the same spot of Kelan’s throat, until she was facing her.
“My dear child there is so much you have yet to learn, I really do not want to hurt you. But you must come with me!”
To those that stood or sat near them, today would be remembered for the rest of their lives, if they survived!
“Child! You call me a child? This is ridiculous. What makes you think that I..” the last words that might have come out of her mouth were lost on those there.
Kelan never moved or at least everyone that survived says she didn’t. No it was the air around her that moved, expanded, swirled outward. How can one describe what air looks like when it is warped? At first just around her, you could see the image of her reflected in a twisted way then it just started to spread out.
Lemar felt the push against her from the air, a gentle push but enough to make her withdraw her sword.
Why didn’t it affect her like the others? More on that later...
A burly Drog probably there for a few drinks was the first to be fully affected by the magic, it was the look that gave it away. A look of shock, then fear knowing his life was going to be over. The around him took form, tongues of lightning crackling balls of sparks taking form.. Then all that was left was a charred body. Well that was enough to start a stampede, only 7 didn’t make it out the door.

        “Enter my child.” Ohmar said putting down the scroll he was writing. It was so hard lately to inscribe spells on parchment, another sing of evolvement?
Lemar entered his den not knowing where she was supposed to stand, shifting foot to foot. She always seemed to get more nervous when she was this close to Ohmar as if the energy around him was just too much for her. 7 years she had been here learning the way of Lucretas, the way of weapons of course were second nature to her. She had found another follower during one of her visits to an outback market place, one of the merchants tried to deceive her and it evolved to the merchant pulling out a sword. Well this follower might have been really good with spells. …But not with weapons, Lemar had come up noticing what was going on and came to her rescue. Those who have met her or have fought her and survived called her ‘Avenging Phoenix’, the phoenix part because of her flowing red hair, the avenging part due to the outcome of the meeting sometimes ending in death other times ending in acquisitions of their goods depending really on her mood. On this occasion she just found it funny that a female (well more a child than a woman anyway) would end up in this kind of situation.

Out of the corner of his eye, Romel saw a glint, a sparkle.
Ohmar’s image seemed to be concentrating on  something other than him for the moment, as he walked over to where the object was.
  There should have been tears but none came as he bent down and picked up the amulet that laid there. Romel remembered when he had put it around Helena’s neck. When they were first courting she had given him a ring of Sirus that which only the rich could afford. Romel on the other hand had given her this necklace made by the fairies of Cottonwood. As soon as Helena had it around her neck she believed it to be the most beautiful necklace she had ever seen (since it was made by fairies any human would think this, such it is with fairy jewels).
  Helena held the pendant in her hand while the ends of the chain it was on cascaded over her hands like liquid metal.
“Oh Romel, never has such a gift been given to me it is so beautiful, how could you ever afford such an exquisite piece of jewelry?”
  The waterfall in the garden where they stood seemed to slow as if time itself had slowed down just for this moment.
  Romel took her in his arms and held her close the pendant now close to her heart as their bodies intertwined, the love they shared so deep and wondrous. Cupping her face in his hands and lifting her lips up to his to kiss.
“M’Love I would go to the temples of Loquire if it meant seeing the glee in your eyes or the excitement in your heart. All of this is worthy of your love.”
His lips touched hers, her arms around his neck they understood how each other felt and shared it.
An Idlan,Romel realized were very intense  when it came to mating and their mates, such as Helena. His heart was afire when she was around, and his heart would beat loudly in his chest when they were close together.
Later Romel would learn he was more than just an Idlan much more…
‘Strange,’ Romel thought as he picked the necklace up from the pile of ashes and rubble.
‘Why would the necklace be here and not inside the court where Helenas remains were?

As if in response Ohmar’s face appeared in front of him, sometimes it was a little irritating that he always seemed to be so, calm.
“The necklace being this far from the true ruin does represent many conclusions, does it not?”
Romel  slowly looked up until his eyes were par with Ohmars
“And you’re going to tell me what those are right? I mean you do know everything that will happen in advance right?”
He said putting the necklace in a pouch inside his vestige.
“Yes I suppose I could. One is that a thief took it before it all happened, another is that Helena gave it to one of her succumbs to give to you.”
“Tell me something Ohmar what do you want with me? What is it you are looking for?”
Romel sat on the ledge overlooking the river hoping to find some calm.
“Romel, you are one of the last Idlans…”
“Hold on a minute, one of? You never mentioned before that there were more, in fact you told me I was the last, so what has changed?
Romels calm didn’t last very long as he stood his hands clenched.
“I’ve had enough of you and your secrets.”
Not many ever seen an Idlan in rage and lived, if the eyes of one could glow it would be now. His hands had started to turn into a blue fire which caught even Romel by surprise.
“So it would seem the magic still lives in me, this I take it is part of who I am? Maybe I should see if I can use it to hurt you!”
He raised his hands pointing them towards Ohmars image, in mere seconds if anyone was counting a beam of blue light emitted from them and headed towards the image, but before it got within two feet of the image Romel lowered his hands, he lifted his head ,not in Ohmar's direction but to the south towards the sea.
Since that night up in the mountains he had devolped a sense of sorts when any Grags were around he could sense them ,and at this moment he not only sensed that there were Grags around but how many and where they were.
His sword already in his hands as he started to run in that direction.
The image of Ohmar watched as Romel ran off to meet this charge,'And so it starts the... return.' A smile small yet evident appeared on his face as the image slowly disappeared.





© Copyright 2008 mattwahnn (mattwahnn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443406-Return-of-Idlan