*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444443-Susan-Bland
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Adult · #1444443
Susan Bland had, well, a bland life. Life was depressing until she met Richard.
She stared out her window, her hand slowly dragging itself down the glass. She was so close to the window, her breath began fogging the window. She ignored it and continued to stare out her window. It wasn’t her fault that she was depressed, not at all. Its somebody’s fault, maybe she doesn’t know who’s, but it’s somebody else’s fault. She can’t help it nothing exciting happens to her. She thought moving to the big apple, of all places, would make her life exciting, but no. Just like high school, bland little Susan. Oh, my bad, bland little Susan with the nerdy glasses. Still wearing them, ironically. She sighed and pushed herself away from the window. Besides depression, her life was pretty good. She lived on the eighth floor of yet another large metal building, and inside was no better. A small kitchen, a small living room, a small bedroom, and a small patio. Or if you considered four tiles outside of your apartment a patio. Barely enough to fit the one chair and end table she had sitting out there. And you know what would make this apartment perfect? The view, yes, the wonderful view of screaming taxi drivers and screaming kids and screaming parents of all varieties. She looked like a nerd; maybe that’s why she was called a nerd in high school. She had short brown hair, a normal person nose, glassy, beady black eyes that looked huge underneath her glasses, and her outfit. A brown, sweater like shirt, and long, just as dark brown, jeans, bell bottoms, no less. She wears the exact outfit to this day, just in different colors. But, today, she was wearing a dark brown shirt, with dark brown bell-bottom jeans.

She worked as a secretary for some corporate company she forgot the name of, who controls about fifty stations in the U.S, thus assuring total customer care and the reassurance of bla bla bla. Just as bad as a fast food restaurant if you asked Susan. Today, she had the week off. The Japanese customer was furious about something and demanded a fellow Japanese to talk to him, so they laid her off for the week to get things organized for the demanding customer. She lived in Manhattan for two years, yet barely explored an inch of it, so she took this obvious chance to explore the city. “Taxi! Taxi! Excuse me, sir, no, wait, don’t drive off! Great!” Susan screamed and shouted until a taxi finally showed up. “Yes, thank god, I thought I was going to be left here!” Susan sighed happily as she opened the door to the cab and let herself in. “No problem lady, I wasn’t gonna pick ya up either, but then I remembered, I was abouts to gets fired unless I gots enough moneys, so I picked yous up!” Susan didn’t say a word for a couple of minutes. “Well…this is a tough world, so I guess I can’t blame you, Huh?” She nervously laughed, pulling her purse over her shoulder and turning her head to the window. “So wheres to lady?” “Do you go to the Manhattan coffee shop?” “Sure do! We’ll be theres in a minute lady” “Thank you.” Susan grumbled abruptly, cutting off the end of the driver’s sentence. “We’re here lady, ten bucks!” He demanded, reaching out his hand. “Here you go!” Susan slammed the money into the man’s hand and slammed the door as she let herself out. “That, should teach him!” She stuck her nose into the air and waltzed into the coffee shop. “Well hey there Susan honey, somebody’s in a good mood today huh?” A Texan voice greeted Susan warmly. “Oh, hello Mary, and yes, something wonderful did happen!” Susan giggled as she twirled, opening her eyes for a split moment to see a young man in front of her smiling. Susan stopped twirling, and, still wobbling, smiled back at the man. “Oh, I’m sorry, didn’t mean to bump into you!” Susan nervously laughed, flattening down her hair and fixing her glasses. “His shiny white teeth, his pink lips, his black eyes, his name brand, and expensive glasses, and the black ruffle hair cut! He must be the one!” She thought all of this while staring at him. “No, no, it’s alright.” He smiled again. “Oh no, it’s my fault, I should by us some coffee do you want some coffee yeah I’ll get some coffee.” She rushed off to the counter. “Two coffee’s pleased, both black, no sugar.” Susan eagerly handed Mary fifteen dollars. “Alrighty, here’s your coffees, here’s your change, and have a nice day now!”

“So, you work at Corporate Credit Care productions too? I’m the account assistance secretary, where do you work?” “I work as the, the, customer assistance manager, yeah, customer assistance manager.” Richard nervously answered, smiling at Susan. “Well, look at the time, ah, well, it was a good half hour we spent together huh, and you have my number and I have yours so I’ll drop you a line some time, nice meeting you!” She shook his hand and waved as he exited the coffee shop, Richard still waving to her as he walked away until he disappeared onto the streets. Mary thanked her manager and immediately took Richard’s seat in front of Susan. “He is defiantly the one!” Mary giggled, grabbing Susan’s hand. Susan giggled back. “Remember, call him tomorrow, around the afternoon, ask him out to dinner at the Flare restaurant across the street, alright hun?” Susan looked at Mary strangely. “I just met him. I’ll call him after tomorrow, then do the rest, alright?” “Okay, but don’t order the Yucca Vodka, it’ll make you puke.” “It tastes that bad?” Susan asked. “No, it’ll literally make you vomit. Bign o no on date!”
© Copyright 2008 Distructive Deviant (compack_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444443-Susan-Bland