*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445784-Just-a-Drop
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1445784
A vampire finds love and eternal happiness through a human-Book 1 of Armor Vincit Omnius
Prologue


She giggled, “Lie still, it’ll hurt more if you squirm.”

"You’re lucky I love you so much or I’d never let you do this.”

She clicked the knife open and kissed his neck. Aiden jumped a little and Jade whispered, “Calm down, Baby; if you keep doing that I might cut too deep.”

He winced, “okay, go,” Jade laughed and placed the knife below his shoulder blade. She cut only deep enough for it to bleed and long enough for it to fit in her mouth.

Lapping at the blood she reached up and whispered in his ear, “Thank you; I love you,” then kissed his neck.

“Yeah, you better,” Aiden winced again,”God, why?” She had cut him again and he was now listening to her laughter, “what?”

“You,” she said and quickly began licking at the fresh cut.

“What about me?”

“You really don’t like this do you?” She tapped his shoulder and he squirmed then placed her hand on his hip and turned him over so she could see him.

Aiden looked her in the eye, “If it makes you happy and healthy I’ll do anything for you.” Jade got up and grabbed two band-aids for the bedside table. She placed them gently on his skin on the two cuts.

Looking at the scars above the band-aids she grazed them with her fingertips and wondered, “How did it come to this? After all I’ve done to him, why does he still love me?”


Ch.1-When Strangers Meet


Jade is a vampire, but not your normal “fairy-tale” vampire. She could go into the sun, it just hurt her eyes. Blood isn’t an every-night thing; she pushes the envelope and sometimes goes weeks without feeding. Aiden is a human, with which Jade is immensely in love with, there was nothing extraordinary about him before he met Jade, and according to him there still isn’t except his new friends. Jade’s intentions were to keep him human as long as possible, much to Aiden’s disdain. He wished to be everything but human, but in Jade’s eyes he was perfect the way she was and wasn’t changing. They met almost a year ago and they were already making plans for “forever.” She wasn’t going to let him get away; together or not, no woman was ever going to touch him the way she had, or look at him the way she does ever again.

She was sitting by herself on the cold, stone bench. Staring at the ground she felt a new presence. “Fresh meat?” she whispered to herself as she looked him up and down. Jade blinked and her eyes fell to the ground again, “what the hell?” she looked again, “Is a human voluntarily sitting next to me?” Then she shook her head, “no, he can’t be.” Humans normally steered clear of her, the “normal” ones at least.

After sitting in silence for what seemed like hours the stranger spoke, “you’re left handed, huh?” the stranger said softly.

Jade blinked and tilted her head a little,” Huh? Do I know you?” His words confused her, but his voice was so beautiful she him to say something, anything.

“May I?” he reached out and grabbed her left hand, feeling the warmth of it.

Jade winced, this stranger, whoever he was, was freezing, “I guess you can.” She smiled and rolled her eyes.

He turned her head over to look at her pale palm. Then touched her middle finger and rubbed the indention her pen sat when she wrote,” See that? A writer, huh?”

She snatched her hand back, “Who the hell do you thing you are?” Something had to be done; he was invading her personal space and observing her too closely. She hoped to God, Alexzandra and Jessica would arrive at any moment, before he began to notice other things. Yet she felt strangely compelled to not look away for him, his voice wouldn’t leave her head yet he had only spoken twice, and she felt inclined to put her warm hand back in his freezing one, although she barely knew him.

“Pardon, you looked so lonely I felt the need to speak with you.”

Attempting to hide her smile she quickly snapped back, “Its 2 AM of course I’m alone.”

He shook his head as if just realizing this and lifted his head to look at the sky, “Oh…Yeah.” Then he looked back at her, “and what’s a lady like yourself doing out this late?”

“Oh, just star gazing. Are you implying that I can’t take care of myself?” She really hoped not, she hated those manly “oh you’re a woman, you can’t do that” type of men. She always felt constricted and helpless by them.

“I’d buy that,” he laughed, “if there were stars visible tonight.”

Jade blinked and looked at the ground, “Your name Stranger?”

“Aiden, and you?”

“Jade,” she smiled,” and you never answered my question.”

“No, I wasn’t implying that obviously you are or you would be dead already.” He looked to the forest to the east side of the park and saw a pair of blue/silver eyes staring back at him. “Is that a-“

“What?” Jade interrupted. Alexzandra was near, she could feel it. She only wished she could get here faster, to make the situation a little less tense. Maybe a few death threats on her part would get him to stop observing so closely and she could make a clean getaway.

“A-a-a wolf. There was a wolf there in the forest.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me, there hasn’t been a wolf here in ages,” she looked at the ground quickly and laughed to herself. Without even being in human form Alexzandra had calmed the situation down a notch.

“Yeah, you’re right,” he looked at her, trusting the stranger’s judgment. It was a trick of the eyes; he was just tired.

“Oh my God,” she thought to herself, “he bought it.” Just then two women walked up holding hands. Jade laughed to herself as she realized what happened in the forest. They walked gracefully toward them, and then sat on the ground in front of her. As they did Jade almost sighed with relief, the attention wasn’t all on her anymore.

“Friend of yours?” the shorter one asked.

Jade cleared her throat, “this is Aiden.”

The taller one whispered,” more like stranger, I’ve never heard you speak of Aiden before, Jade.” The two women almost snarled as they looked him up and down.

“Jessie, hush!” Jade glared, “Don’t scare him.”

“Ah, so that’s your name. And the other one?” Aiden asked.

Jessica reached out and grabbed Alexzandra’s hand, “this is my wife Alex.”
Alexzandra looked at Aiden with her blue/silver eyes with the intent to kill. Her need to protect Jade and Jessica showed she wasn’t letting anything hurt her “bigger little sis” or her wife.

Aiden looked around and for the first time noticed that no one was wearing a jacket but him, and it was freezing outside, practically snowing. As he came up with a million reasons why only he was wearing a jacket, he noticed Jade fidgeting like she was ready to leave. He didn’t want her to go, yet if she felt the need then he would let her.


Ch. 2- Early Morning Parties


“Well, are you ready, Jade?”

Jade nodded looking surprised, like she just came out of a trance; then Jessica jumped up and dusted herself off. Pulling Alexzandra up off the ground she looked Aiden up and down with her pale green eyes, almost as if she were blind, smiling eerily she said, “It was nice to meet you and all but we kinda have somewhere to be and by the way Jade’s glaring at me we’re kinda late.”

Alexzandra dusted herself off and walked away. After a few steps she turned and waved her hands toward herself in a “come hither” fashion. Jade got up and followed quickly and quietly after them.

“Where are you going at nearly three in the morning?” Aiden grabbed her arm before she got too far away.

Places,” Jade answered quietly, almost a whisper, “I’m sorry. See you around sometime?”

Aiden looked around, “Yeah, I guess so,” he didn’t really want her to go. He began walking slowly toward his home. Once or twice he thought about following tem, but quickly dismissed the thought.

Jade watched him walk away; she would give anything to be walking away with him. As badly as she wanted to see her sister, she wanted to be by his side more. Now that she had his scent she could find him if she wanted to. She whispered a spell to keep her in his dreams until they met again then thought, “I’ll let him come to me.”

“Why’d you let him go?” Alexzandra asked.

“I had to; I have business to attend to. He’ll be back, trust me,” Jade smiled wickedly.

“Hmm; what do you mean?” Jessica asked.

“You’ll see.” Jade looked up at the sky.

“Oh, Jade! You didn’t!” Alexzandra yelled.

She looked quickly at the ground, “I didn’t.”

“Fibber, you did so!Jade, you don’t know him, he could be the stalker type, that’s the wrong type to do that to.”

“What? What? What? What did she do?” Jessica was obviously confused. Alexzandra hadn’t told her one of the special gifts Jade had.

“She marked him.”

“What?” Jessica tilted her head to the side, “I still don’t understand.”

“Basically, Jessie, I made it so he’d never see another women the way he sees me now. Oh, Alex, you think of everything. Good thing he doesn’t know where I live, huh? He’ll see me again, but it’ll be on my terms, no freaky stalker thing. He doesn’t appear to be that way, I kinda trust him.”

“But,” Jessica paused, “If he does find you again and you end up together, won’t you always wonder if he really loved you or if it’s just your ‘mark’ that sees you that way?”

“No, because apparently he accepted it without another thought, I can mark someone all day long and it won’t work unless they accept it.”

“Oh, okay…now I understand,” Jessica smiled. Her being the type that believes in “love at first sight” and things to that nature appeared to strongly approve.

“I have a question now,” Jade looked to Alexzandra then to Jessica, “you were watching from the forest the whole time weren’t you?”

“Uhh…no,” Alexzandra quickly looked to the ground, “uh-uh.”

By the time they reached their destination Jade found herself, oddly enough, mapping her and Aiden’s life together. She didn’t think of herself to be as “simple-minded” as Jessica, but found herself throwing her all into a relationship she wasn’t completely sure was going to happen at all. By the time she looked up she noticed they were at her sister’s house and the door was open, “Sissy!” Jade yelled and almost knocked her sister over.

“Ugh! Get off me whore!” she quickly pushed Jade away, “I love you,” she hugged her quickly and kissed her forehead.

“Fine then! Don’t say ‘hi’ to me!” Alexzandra now faced them in the doorway, her arms crossed, and almost glaring, “you don’t even talk to me anymore,” she pouted.

Christine walked over and wrapped her arms around her, “I’m sorry; I’ve just been so busy with work I barely have time for myself.”

“Ever since you met that damn human-“Alexzandra trailed off.

“Oh yes, and what a wonderful human he is. He has a name Alex.”

“Yeah I know,” Alexzandra looked at Jessica then back to Christine. She nervously threw in, “So…umm…Christine, Jessie, Jessica, Cricket,” pointing back and forth between them.

“Nice to meet you,” Christine showed little regard for the ring flashing on Jessica’s left hand as they shook hands. Just then Michial walked up and wrapped his arms gently around Christine, “Where is she?”

“Should be upstairs, I’m beginning to think we should have eaten before everyone arrived,” his eyes looked kinda scared, “she’s kinda ‘thirsty’.”

“Mikey!” Jade tackled Michial over much the same as she did with Christine.

“He-,” he hit the ground, “WHOA! What’s up?”

“Oh shit! I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Jade quickly helped him up and dusted him off. She began kicking at the carpet, “nothing,” she looked up.

Alexzandra coughed, “liar,” she coughed again.

Jade looked over to Alexzandra and glared, “Got quite the cough there, eh Alex?”

Alexzandra looked at her wide eyed and nodded nervously, “yeah, it developed last week, must be all the pollen. It is spring after all.”

“Uh…yeah, anyway,” Jade looked back at Michial and rolled her eyes. “Mainly just work and sleep, in that order.”

“You marked him,” Alexzandra began coughing uncontrollably to cover her laughter.

“Who, and why haven’t I met them?” Christine asked.

“You let him get away?” Gabriella chimed in. Her wings wrapped around Jade as she embraced her. She was an angel who could never go back to heaven;  although she gladly gave it up for her love, Dylan. Her wings were only visible to “fairy-tale” creatures, but humans could feel them if they brushed against them.

“Gabby, I didn’t let him. I’m just busy; he’ll come around when he finds me again.”

“So, what’s his name?” Dylan was now poking at Jade’s ribs trying to get a hug out of her.

“Aiden,” Jade pushed him away laughing. “Stoppit idget, that tickles.”

“Ummm,” Jessica looked at the ground and laughed nervously, “why are we all standing in the doorway?”

“You’re right!” Christine walked into the living room, “C’mon everyone. I have someone I want you to meet.” She walked to the stairs and looked up, “her name’s Tre-,” she looked at the crowd then back to the top of the stairs, “oh damn. Where’d she go?” After running halfway up the stairs she stopped, “be right back.” While waiting for her return Jade whispered quietly with her friends.

“So, what’s he look like?” Gabriella asked.

“Why does everyone always have to know my business, HONESTLY?” Jade stomped her foot.

“ ‘Cuz we love you. Now come on, spill.” Creeper, Jade’s fairy friend jumped into the conversation.

“Well he’s taller than me,” Jade kicked at the carpet, “he’s got these piercing blue eyes, he’s built,” Jade blushed and now watched her foot kicking the carpet repeatedly, “quite built actually.”

“And? Don’t spare us, tell us everything.” Gabriella elbowed Jade.

“Alright, he’s got hair your color, Gabby, but short, just enough for me to grab a handful.

“Cute!” Creeper smiled.

“When do we get to meet him?” Gabriella asked.

“Like I said, I’ve got things to do first but when he comes around again I’ll bring him if he stays. By the way, Alex doesn’t approve, so don’t be betting with Jessie on how fast he comes around again, and how long we’ll be together, and when we’ll get married and all that jazz, she hates it.” Jade said, still blushing. Christine then walked back down the stairs, her arm entwined in the newly awakened’s.

They reached the middle of the staircase and stopped, “everyone, this is Treasa.” She was just a few inches taller than Jade, she had blonde waist length hair and green eyes. Standing beside Christine she looked like a mirror image of her before “the change”. Now Christine had short, red/brown, chin length hair, with same green eyes but a dash of gold around the pupils.

The party passed slowly for Jade, as hard as she tried to enjoy her friend’s company, she couldn’t help but wonder what Aiden was doing. A couple of times she tried to reach out with her mind and see, but it was blurry and she couldn’t stay concentrated long enough to make it visible. Once she got it clear enough where she could see him, but not where he was, she saw him half naked and sleeping, then quickly lost all concentration she might have had. Finally the party was over and Jade walked home, much against the iron will of her sister she wasn’t spending the night, and no one was walking her home. Jade didn’t want to impose and spent most of the day by her sister’s side anyway.


Ch.3-The Wait


Jade walked over and checked her messages before going to bed. There was one from her sister, one from work, and one from the Gabriella. After a quick shower she climbed into the bed and fell asleep as soon as she hit the matress.

She awoke with a start and hopped out of bed, glanced at her phone to see what time it was, dropped the phone, and ran to the bathroom to get dressed. Jade had been asleep for  two and a half days and it was almost 4:30 in the afternoon; she had to be a work at 5. Working nights at the Chinese restaurant in the bad part of town wasn’t Jade’s idea of fun, but it paid well and she could get drunk at no expense to her, so she liked it well enough to keep working there.

                                                      *** *** ***

“Jade, you’re fifteen minutes late,” her boss said, walking by as Jade walked in the door, with a tray of drinks in her hand.

“I know; I’m sorry, I overslept.”

“Don’t let it happen again, this is the third time.”

Usually Jade didn’t let the drunks at the bar bother her. They’d buy her drinks and she’d quickly drink them and thank the person without another thought. On this night though they were particularly obnoxious, there had already been a fight and she was only two hours into her shift. Soon after the fight had been taken outside, Alexzandra, Jessica, Gabriella, and Dylan walked in the door ad sat down in a row at the bar, “What do you guys want?” Jade looked at them pretending to be confused.

“What do you think we want?” Dylan looked at her smiling.

“Oh no! Not tonight, not today! No you guys!”

They all smiled at her, “Please,” they added in unison.

Jade sighed, “Fine, but if I get caught you guys are finally paying the tab you owe on this place.”

“You’re kidding, right? You actually keep up with how much we drink here?” Jessica asked.

“Yes,” Jade smiled, “and who do you think will come after you if you don’t pay it this month?”

“You?” Dylan scoffed. “Le Mosquito? Like you’d ever come chasing after the big, bad wolf.”

“Whose afraid of the big, bad wolf?” Gabriella sang jokingly.

“Big, bad wolf?” Jade laughed, “more like cuddly puppy; Man you are whipped!”

“I am not,” Dylan looked hurt and began to pout.

“Shut up, Dylan,” Gabriella said quickly.

“Okay,” he looked down at his drink and swished it around.

“Nice, Gabby; this one’s on me,” she laughed and handed her another shot.

“So, how many are we up to now?” Dylan asked.

“Four; Gabby’s second was free.”

“Ha!” Dylan pointed, “you’re wrong.”

Jade looked confused, “I’m not drunk; I know how to count.”

“Jessie and Alex have been grabbing drinks over the bar. I’d say they’ve had about four each now.”

Jade looked over after she heard a crashing sound coming from Jessica and Alexzandra direction. Jessica, still leaning over the bar,smiled innocently, “he-he”, and sat down quickly. “Dammit, Dylan!” she kicked him under the bar.

“Oh, ow,” Dylan said mockingly.

She kicked him again and he fell off the barstool. Jade laughed, grabbed a map, and cleaned up the mess, “you’re paying for every one of these you broke.”

“Aww, Jade. Don’t be such a tight ass,” Alexzandra pleaded.

“Hey! I like this job; I prefer not to have to find another.”

Alexzandra sniffed the air and looked at Jessica, “hey, we gotta go,” she jumped off the bar stool, grabbed Jessica’s hand and pulled her after.

“What’s their deal?” Jade asked.

Dylan sniffed the air too, “Donknow,” then hopped up and left. As confused as she was, she finished her shift three hours later without any more problems. She walked out the door and was about a block from her house when she noticed that someone aside from the wolves were following her. Turning around she saw the man from the bar that started the fight earlier.

She began walking faster, hoping she would get to her apartment before he caught up with her. Half a block from her house she did, “hey Sweetheart. Why don’t you come spend the night with me?”

Without turning around or stopping she answered, “no, that’s okay.”

“Oh, c’mon, Baby,” he grabbed her arm but before he could do anything else
Alexzandra bit down on his heel. “Get the hell offal me!” He tried his best to  kick her away, but in his drunken stupor it wasn’t doing any good. Dylan’s paws found Jade’s stomach and he knocked her to the ground. He sat on top of her and growled or bit at the man’s heels every time he got close to them. Jessica hopped up and bit at the man’s throat, threatening to out his vocal cords. She knocked him over and growled at him. He scrambled out from under her and walked away as fast as his intoxicated body would allow, too drunk to run. When he was gone Jade pushed Dylan off her stomach and sat up, “thanks Guys. Is that where you ran off to?”

Alexzandra nodded and sat down beside Jade, laying her head in her lap. Jade scratched behind her ears then Jessica and Dylan ran to the shadows, “what guys? Is he back?” Jade stood up to walk again, then someone rounded the corner, humming a song she didn’t recognize but liked the way it sounded, “Aiden?”


Ch.4-Meet the Family


“Uhhh, yeah, Jade?” He stopped right where he was and stared at her.

She blushed, “Wh-What are you doing here?”

“Home,” he pointed, “about a block away.” He looked alarmed, “did I just see-?”

“See what?” Jade’s eyes widened as she realized Jessie had poked her head out to see what was going on and Aiden had seen her.

“A wolf again. I swear, I really saw it this time.”

Jade sighed, “yeah, look.” She waved her hands toward her, “c’mon guys, he really saw you this time.” Jessica came out first, prancing and smiling. She licked Aiden’s hand and sat on Jade’s left. Alexzandra followed from the opposite side and sat in front of Jade glaring at Aiden. Jade sat back down, she figured she might as well. Dylan followed Alexzandra and sat on the right of Jade sitting halfway across her lap, covering his face with his paws, occasionally peeking out at Aiden, his yellow eyes glowing with curiosity.

“I thought there weren’t wolves in the area?” Aiden eyed Jade suspiciously.

“I didn’t want to scare you or anyone else in the area, but yeah, there are.”

“So,” Aiden took a step forward and Alexzandra. Frightened, he took a step back, “uhhh…whose who?”

Jade put one of her hands on Jessica’s head and the other on Dylan’s, “the grey one’s Jessie,” she scratched behind her ear, “the chocolate one’s Dylan,” he  closed his eyes and nodded happily as Jade did the same to him, the she scratched Alexzandra’s side, “and this black one’s Alex.”

“Dylan,” Gabriella came running around the corner, “you could at least-” she noticed that it wasn’t just Jade in the alley, “Oh, Hi!”

“This is Gabriella, Gabby this is Aiden.” Jade said smiling.

“See, I told you it wouldn’t take that long, Jade,” Gabriella smiled at Jade then at Aiden. She walked past Aiden to help Jade up. Aiden shuddered; he felt something tingly and cold following closely behind Gabriella.

Jade grabbed Gabriella's hand and got up, accidentally kicking Alexzandra in the process. She whined and cuddled up next to Jessica. “So, Gabby, why don’t you take Alex, Jessie, and Dylan home?”

“Okay!” She smiled.

“You keep those things at your house?”

“Of course not,” Jade laughed, “we keep them at Gabby’s.”

Aiden for the first time looked scared, “those are wild animals, Jade. They could hurt you.” Alexzandra, Jessica, and Dylan got these “we are NOT!” looks on their face, but before Aiden saw them Gabriella had them running down the road after her.

“How’s it been?” Jade asked curiously.

“Not so good, this might sound weird, but since we met I can’t stop dreaming of you. I saw you walking home earlier, and that guy following you; my heart stopped. I followed you to make sure you were okay, but when I turned the corner you were alone again, so I played it off like I was walking home too.”

Jade laughed, “you don’t live anywhere near here, do you?”

Aiden shook his head, “nuh uh; I actually live the total opposite way.”

Jade leaned against a wall and slid down to the ground, laughing as she went.

“God, I’ma loser, huh?”

She shook her head, “no, it’s just,” she started laughing again, “I would have done the same thing if I had seen you first.”

Aiden chuckled, “for a second there I thought you thought I was some kinda crazed stalker or something.”

Jades eyes were watering she was laughing so hard, “then I guess I would be too.”

He sat down beside her and started laughing as well, “yeah, I guess so.” Then he stopped laughing, as did Jade. “So, how’ve you been?”

“Oh, I pretty much slept for two days, was late for work, got hassled by that guy, and now I have to go home before anything else happens.”

“I’m sorry; I could walk you there to make sure nothing else happens, if you want.” He smiled, hoping she would say, “yes.”

“Yeah, okay…but if you turn into some freaky stalker, I swear to God, whichever one I’m worshipping this week-”

Aiden laughed, “I considered it,” he stood up, helped her up, and followed her. They walked beside each other and his hand kept mysteriously bumping into Jade’s.
She grabbed it and entwined her fingers with his, watching him blush, and look up at the night sky. Without saying a word they walked the half block to her house and when they got to the doorway Jade asked shyly, “Wanna come up?”

Aiden nodded and followed her through the front door, up three flights of stairs, and down two hallways, not remembering a thing because he was watching her. Jade reached into her pocket and pulled out her keys, unlocked the door, and walked inside.

As she held the door open for him she said, “Welcome to the hell hole known as my apartment.” She smiled, “make yourself at home,” she pointed to the direction of her room, “I’m going to go change.” Jade walked off to her room and shut the door.
She picked a baggy shirt and pants too long for her, “no need to impress,” she said aloud. Her door opened and to her surprise, Aiden was on the other side, about to knock.

“I was wondering where your TV is?”

Jade looked at the carpet, “I don’t have one.”

“Oh, then what do you do for fun?” Aiden a little closer toward her.

“Read, listen to music, cook, and play on the comp-” Aiden was an inch or two away from her when suddenly his lips connected with hers. The way he kissed her sent tingles down her spine, either it was surprise or something else, she couldn’t tell. Jade pulled away, blushing and shaking, “I don’t recommend you do that again.”

“Why not? You seemed to like it well enough.”

“Yeah, but the point is, I don’t know you, you don’t know me, and I haven’t done this in years,” Jade walked over and sat on her bed, then motioned for Aiden to join her.

He sat beside her and grabbed her hand, “I’m sorry, I thought it was what you wanted. I guess I was wrong, huh?”

“No, it’s exactly what I wanted, just way too fast.”

“Oh, well could we try again at a later date?”

Jade nodded, “Sure, but on my terms.” She gripped a little tighter on Aiden’s hand, “maybe we should get to know each other a little better first.”

“So, what’s your whole name?” This question had been burning in his mind since he saw her again.

“Jaden Keely Monroe, what’s yours?”

“Joseph Aiden Dacus, but I like Aiden.”

“Well I like Jade, not Jaden,” she smiled at him, “Aiden, it’s late, and you should go.”

“Alright,” he stood up and started walking toward the front door.

“Wait!” Jade yelled and grabbed his arm.

“What?” Aiden turned around quickly, smiling. Jade kissed him on the cheek and let go of his arm. “I thought we weren’t supposed to do that until we knew each other better.”

“That was JUST a kiss on the cheek. Not anything like what you did to me.” She gently pushed Aiden toward the door.

Aiden walked into the living room and stopped at the front door. Jade reached behind him and reluctantly opened the door. He walked out and as Jade started to close the door he softly said, “Goodbye for now?”

“Yes,” Jade nodded and closed the door slowly, hoping Aiden would come up with a reason to stay. She started to walk away and was halfway to her room when she heard a knock at the door. “Hello?” she opened the door.

It opened in front of Aiden and he looked Jade in the eyes, “what’s that?” His eyes got really big.

Jade looked over at where Aiden’s eyes led but there was nothing there, “what?”

“That,” he kissed her on the cheek, turned away, and ran down the hallway.

“Aiden! Gah!” jade grumbled to herself, slammed the door, and locked it. She turned to walk away when she heard consistent slams, bands, and groans coming from the direction Aiden had run. Not even bothering to open the door all the way, she ran out after him. “Aiden?” She called, this time more worry than anger in her voice.

“What?” He managed to get out through pain and laughter.

At that moment she turned the corner where the staircase started and found him at the bottom of them with one leg and arm against the wall and half his body upside down on the stairs, “are you okay?” Jade couldn’t help but laugh, and tried her best not to; she couldn’t help it as she almost ran down the stairs to help him, “what happened?”

“I was running because I thought you were mad, and when I turned the corner I didn’t see the stairs,” Aiden started laughing again.

Jade sat down beside him, “Oh…well that was your own damn fault. I wasn’t mad because you kissed me.” Aiden tried to sit up but just groaned. Jade smiled, “I did however get mad when you ran away.”

He smiled to hint at what he wanted, “heal me, Nurse?”

Jade tolled her eyes and helped him up, “C’mon ya big baby.” She finally pulled him off the ground and had him halfway up to her apartment, “you did that on purpose didn’t you?”

Aiden smiled and nodded, “yeah, kinda.”

Jade dropped him and let him fall to the ground,” Don’t! Do it again! Just ask if you want to stay next time okay?” She helped him back up with ease and back to her apartment. They got to her room and she dropped him on the bed, “stay here.”

“Like I could move; I did fall down the stairs, ya know.”

She walked out without saying a word and came back moments later with a few bandages and some Neosporin, “here, I’m going to put this on your back okay?”

Aiden rolled over on his back and Jade sat beside him. She put on gloves, cleaned his cuts, applied the Neosporin, and put the bandages on. After she was done she sat on the end of the bed so she could breathe without smelling blood, “you should sleep.” Jade hopped out of the bed and walked to the door.

“Where will you sleep? This bed’s big enough for two,” he tapped a spot on the bed beside him, “c’mon, please.”

“Couch,” she shut the door behind her.


Ch. 5 – The First Night


Jade lay across the couch without a blanket and picked up the nearest book she could find. “Guess I’m passing out to Anne Rice tonight,” she started to read and before she knew it she couldn’t keep her eyes open anymore. She closed them just as the book closed, and turned to face the back of the couch.

A few hours later she felt someone’s arm wrapped around her waist; she pushed

him a little, “Aiden…Aiden, wake up.”

He rubbed his eyes, “Uhh…huh?”

“How did I end up here with you?”

“You woke me up mumbling something about vampires and Christine...who’s that?”

“My sister,” Jade sat up on her elbow.

“Uh huh, so what’s this about vampires?”

In a rush for an excuse she quickly blurted out, “Blackwood Farm before bed is all.”
“Blackwood…Farm?”

Jade blinked in surprise, “A novel about a vampire who needs Lestat’s help to get rid of his ‘doppelganger’, who’s actually his twin brother’s ghost.”          

“Lestat?” Aiden looked intrigued.

“The Brat Prince…Louis…Anne Rice?” Jade sighed heavily. “Is any of this making sense?”

“Nuh uh…who’s Louis?”

“Oh, good Lord, read this.” She threw Interview with a Vampire at him. Aiden picked it up and read the back.

Aiden sat it down on her bedside table, “I will later, okay?”

She nodded and laid back down, “Hey, Aiden, what time is it?”

“2:30.”

“AM? I’ve only been asleep for an hour and a half?”

“No, PM…Geez, do you always sleep this long?”

She nodded and closed her eyes again; she was almost asleep when she felt Aiden cuddle against her and his warm breath on her neck, “you can get up if you want to.”
He shook his head and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. Although she barely knew anything about him aside from his whole name Jade felt comfortable in his arms, like they were meant to stay wrapped around her waist forever. She turned around to face him, placed her head on his shoulder, and began twirling her fingers through his hair.

Aiden woke up and rolled over. He placed his hand on the place where Jade’s body should be, but there was nothing there, then he slid his hand up and down that spot but only found a piece of paper that read:


Got called into work...Meet you at the park later? ‘Round midnight I’ll meet you at “the bench”
Jaden Keely Monroe

He looked at the clock; it was 9:30. Moving as quickly as possible, bruised body and all, he climbed out of bed and made it. Careful to leave everything as he found it, he picked up Interview with the Vampire and walked out of the house, locking it before he left.

He walked toward the park, which ironically was the same distance from Jade’s apartment as it was from his. Sitting on the bench and thinking of her he opened the book and read through the first half fairly easily without looking at the time. “Hello, Jade.”

She stopped where she was and blinked, “Usually no one can hear me, and how did you know it was me?”

“Yes but the door does ding on the way out and when people yell your name other people tend to hear it.”

“Oh,” she wrapped her arms around his neck from behind, “well c’mon. I have somewhere I want to take you.”

“At midnight?”

“Uh…yeah, why do you think I sleep so much?” She took his hand and led him to a trail then stopped, “we’re going to see Gabby, Alex, Jessie, and Dylan.”

“The wolves?”

“No,” Jade laughed, “the people…” she thought to herself, “I hope.”

He started walking again, “they live in the woods?”

“Yeah.”

“I thought that was park property, like park rangers only.”

Jade put her index finger to her lips, “shhh, they’re park rangers.”

After walking a while Aiden broke the silence, “I don’t agree with that book.”

“Huh?”

“Interview with the Vampire.”

“What about it?”

“Being a vampire wouldn’t be so bad, that Louis guy need to get the stick out of his ass and appreciate all the things Lestat gave to him.”

Jade shook her head and laughed slightly, “You haven’t finished it yet have you?”

“Nope, not yet.”

“Then shut up with your unfinished opinions,” she waved her hand in his face jokingly, “you’ll thing differently once you finish the book.” She smiled, “We’re almost here,” they walked out into the clearing and although it was dark Jade knew exactly where she was going. There was a tiny cabin with only two doors, windows with no glass, and through them you could see doorframes without doors.

Approaching the front door she knocked, “guys?” Jade walked in and was halfway through the door before Alexzandra was her.

“What the hell do you want?” She smiled.

“Just thought I’d give you guys a chance to properly meet Aiden,” she opened her arms and Alexzandra walked into a hug. Aiden stepped fully into the house and
closed the door behind him.

“I see you found the only door in the house,” Alexzandra smiled slightly. “You guys, it’s just Jade and Aiden,” she called toward the bedrooms. Dylan, Jessica, and Gabriella stuck their heads out of the bedrooms.

Jade lifter her head slightly, “Who else is here?”

“Adee came for a few days, she’s leaving tomorrow; I’m surprised she didn’t just go to see you when she heard you were living in the city. After all, she came here looking for you for some odd reason,” Dylan said, walking out with his shirt halfway on.

Jade smiled and ran toward the guest bedroom, “Adee, you up?” She pounced on the full sized bed.

“Ugh!” she pushed Jade until she rolled over, “I am now.”

Jade frowned, “Sorry. So, what did you need?”

“Some impulse told me to visit you and Alexzandra.”

“Good, because I have someone I want you to meet.”

Adrian rubbed her eyes and sat up, “Alright, gimme five seconds, okay?” Jade rolled off the bed and onto the ground. Then sat up and walked out of the room.

When she walked back into the living room, Aiden, Alexzandra, Jessica, Dylan, and Gabriella were standing in a circle making small talk, “Ow!” Aiden yelled and jumped a little. Jade laughed a little to herself, she knew exactly what was coming next. Alexzandra, Dylan, and Jessica all poked Aiden at the same time, “What the fuck?” He jumped again. His eyes went from Jessica, to Alexzandra, to Dylan, “how did you do that?”

“Do what?” They all said. “Where we doing anything?”

“You shocked me!” He yelled. “All three of you, at…the same…time…,” He looked confused. Jade then walked quietly up behind him, wrapped her arms around his waist, and softly kissed his neck. Aiden eyes rolled back, “hey now.”

Dylan, Jessica, and Alexzandra poked Aiden again and he instantly snapped out of it; when he looked at them in shock they were all glaring.

“Umm, eww.” Adrian was heard from the hallway.

“Glad to see the dead can awaken,” Jade laughed.

“Some of us aren’t nocturnal,” she leaned against a doorway and stuck her tongue out at Jade.

“Keep doing that and someone’ll bite it off,” Jade smiled.

Dylan jumped excitedly, “Oh yes! Please do!” As he said this everyone turned to glare at him, except Aiden, who could only laugh.

Jade turned back, “Aiden, this is Adee. Alex’s little sister.” Adrian stood at the same height as Alexzandra, with dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes, and tan skin. Whereas Alexzandra was pale, with blue/ silver eyes, and jet black hair. “Adee, this is Aiden, my well…my…” she looked at the ground, as there was no carpet, or flooring of any kind in the house.

Adrian laughed, “You did it again, didn’t you?”

Jade looked surprised by her laughed but smiled anyway, “yeah,” she looked at Aiden.

“I’m surprised you remember how,” she continued to laugh.

Jade scoffed, “you’re just beside yourself I did it, not that I remembered how.”
The easily confused Aiden grabbed Jade’s hand.

“Hey, Jade, we gotta go patrol,” Alexzandra looked like she might burst into laughter as she said this, “but you’re welcome to stay with Adee and Gabby, or we’ll see you tomorrow at your place?” She asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded, seeing strait through Alexzandra’s lie. Then turned to begin speaking with Adrian, but she was gone.

“It was nice meeting and seeing you all again,” Aiden began walking toward the door and pulled Jade after him. He pulled jade after him. He pulled her all the way to the woods and when they were out of earshot he said quickly and nervously, “patrol?”

“Like I said, they’re park rangers,” Jade lied.

“Oh…Can I ask you a question?”

Jade nodded, “anything.”

“Can I do this yet?” He pulled her body to his and kissed her. Jade’s body melted into his and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Aiden put his hand on her waist and pulled her closer, deepening the kiss. She instinctively bit his bottom lip and purred slightly. His eyes rolled back again, “hey…be careful, okay?”

“Did I hurt you?” She looked up at him concerned.

He smiled then kissed her forehead, “more like I don’t want you hurting yourself.”

Jade pouted and crossed her arms, the thrill of the kiss wearing off, “that was completely unfair.”

“All’s fair in love and war,” he smiled, “and now we’re even.”

“For what?” Jade looked confused.

“Earlier…that kiss left me high and dry.” He looked at her and smiled sweetly, “so I can do it now, right?”

“Huh?” She looked more confused that ever.

“Oh, like you forgot what I just said to you.”

“You mean kiss me?” Jade finally got it.

Aiden nodded and jumped over a fallen tree, then turned to help Jade over it.

“I guess so, but I only kiss people I’m dating,” she smiled and hopped up on the tree.

“I hate doing this because it makes me feel like I’m in Jr. High, but Jade,” she hopped into his arms and he sat her gently on the ground, “will you go out with me?”
She kissed his cheek, “Yes, I will go out with you Joseph Aiden Dacus.” She grabbed his hand they walked to the bench where Aiden left the book.

“So,” Aiden looked up at the sky, “my place or yours tonight?”
© Copyright 2008 ~Voice of Reason~ (jbphalops08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445784-Just-a-Drop