*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452633-Tommy-and-the-Seagulls
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1452633
Tommy is enjoying making mischief in Brighton, but are the seagulls enjoying his visit?
Tommy loved the sea and always enjoyed the holidays he spent in Brighton with his parents.  This holiday had been no different and he had had fun days on the beach, throwing stones at the seagulls and causing trouble at the amusement arcades.  This morning he had spent a fruitful couple of hours trawling for coins in the rejected money slots or checking out the money basins for winnings that someone had accidently missed out on.  Finders, keepers was his motto and it was their own fault if they did not check properly.  He had been banned from most of the arcades for trying to tilt machines or pushing someone off a racing machine in order to take their place.

He wandered around aimlessly for an hour, his parents were having lunch at a nice Chinese place near the Pier and had given him a few pounds to buy some fish and chips.  Tommy didn't feel hungry so he was wandering about, looking for entertainment, or some people would define it as trouble. 

Having no luck trying to upset anyone, Tommy went to purchase his fish and chips, managing to make the assistant in the chip shop quite annoyed by mumbling that he wanted salt and vinegar and then saying he hadn't.  He insisted that she give him a new portion without it, then after paying, walked away briefly and then to walk back and apply his own salt and vinegar. As he left he smirked at her, making her swear quietly under her breath, hoping her current customer, who wanted two burgers and chips, didn't hear it.

Tommy decided that his little jaunt had been fun and he deserved to eat his fish and chips by the sea.  Walking down the steps to the sea he spotted an empty and seemingly abandoned deck chair.  Perfect he thought for a nice spot of lunch!  Checking that there was no one around he sat down and began to eat his meal.  As he was tucking in he began to notice some unwanted spectators gathering. It was the seagulls coming to see if they might get a titbit or two.

Tommy picked up a couple of pebbles from the ground and began to shovel chips with one hand while firing missiles at the braver seagulls who were getting closer.
The seagulls began to get quite annoyed at this attack and started to circle Tommy while staying out of range of the flying pebbles.  Tommy put down his lunch carefully so they had no access and began to fire more and more pebbles.  Soon the seagulls seemed to get bored and flew away, leaving Tommy to enjoy his lunch in peace. 

Tommy was enjoying his lunch and considered himself quite lucky that no one had come to claim their chair back.  After he had finished his lunch he screwed up the paper and threw it lazily behind him.  He closed his eyes enjoying a full tummy and the warmth of the afternoon sun.  Just as he was dozing off he heard a loud squawk and just as he opened his eyes and looked up a huge seagull, the biggest Tommy had ever seen, dropped a stick of rock right on his head.

Tommy was angry at first but this soon turned to fear as he could see tens of seagulls coming his way all with various missiles in their beaks. Tommy practically fell out of the deck chair which folded underneath him as he leapt to his feet.  Tommy ran as fast as he could away from the pursuing seagulls only narrowly missing a falling half-brick and a lump of coal.  Some of the seagulls were trying to land oranges on his head and one even had a banana.  As he reached the steps and tried to hide himself in the nook underneath them he was again hit by a stick of rock square on the head.

This hit floored him and it appeared he was out cold.  Just at that moment his parents began to climb down the steps to the beach.  Tommy's mum and dad were shocked to discover their son at the bottom of the steps, unconscious and surrounded by even more debris than was usual even for Brighton beach.

Would they believe his tale, and would Tommy ever throw pebbles at seagulls again??

© Copyright 2008 La Cala Girl (rlr2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452633-Tommy-and-the-Seagulls