*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456888-Chapter-1---Scent-Updated
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1456888
At first B can't stand the tribe's 'Bad Boy' Werewolf Declan. Set in Alaska post WW3

1st September 2084

Man, this Iggy Pop album is awesome! Our heads bopped along to the tune of ‘Lust For Life’ in time to the beat and in time with each other.

“B.”

Hmm, what was that?

“B!”

Is that Mum?

“BIANCA!”

Derik and I looked to each other, each of us wondering if the other had heard that? as we laid on our stomachs on top of my bed, listening to the old CD play on the second-hand CD player that used to be my Dad’s.

“I think your Mom is calling you.” Derik turned down my music.

Just then Mum blew into my room and stood in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

“Bianca Grace I have been calling out your name for the past ten minutes!” She announced.

“Yes?” I looked up inquiringly.

“Will Derik be staying for dinner tonight?” Mum rolled her eyes and then she looked at Derik.

“No thanks Aunt Jess, but thanks anyway. My Mom is expecting me home.” Derik answered in his usual polite manner.

“Thanks for answering that Derik. Now I have to go all the way back downstairs and continue making Bianca’s dinner. Next time B, keep the music to a less deafening level and save my legs the hassle, OK?” Mum glared as she started to leave.

“So? Phase.” I shrugged.

“Excuse me?” She stopped to look back.

“Instead of using the stairs and coming all this way to ask us that one question, just instantaneously phase up here.” I pointed out.

“Oh right! Because I’m already in the custom of instantaneously phasing in and out of my 17 year old daughter’s bedroom at my leisure. No never mind if you were up here with a boyfriend or you were getting undressed for a shower or if…” Mum prattled off.

“Mum!” I cut her off as I blushed.

“I’ll be sure to pass on your open invitation to your father so he knows that he too can suddenly appear inside your bedroom at his preference.” She added on sarcastically. “We’ll post an ‘open’ sign on your bedroom door, shall we?”

With that she was gone, and Derik was left chuckling in her aftermath.

“Your parents are cool.” Derik said for his millionth time since I’ve known him.

“No they’re not.” I rebuked for my billionth time.

“Your Mom is much more flexible than my Mom.” He remarked.

“That’s because my Mum was 19 years old when she had me and your Mum was 24 when she had you. I think it’s an age thing.” I shrugged.

“Your family is cool.” Derik said for his zillionth time.

“No they’re not.” I sighed for my gazillionth time.

“You’ve got a pretty cool Mom and Dad, you’ve got a cool Uncle and Grandparents and Great Grandma. Your Dad, Uncle and Grandfather are Werewolves…but they’re cool Werewolves. They’re not interested in hunting humans. And your Dad and the rest of the tribe makes sure Declan doesn’t either even though he’s a different kind of Werewolf.” Derik went on.

“Declan is an asshole – he would frickin’ eat Bambi if he saw it all helpless and alone in the woods.” I said unimpressed.

“He’s not that bad, it’s just around a full moon he gets a bit tetchy.” Derik defended his older brother.

“Your older brother is ‘tetchy’ even when there isn’t a full moon… which means every night of the frickin’ year.” I retorted.

“It’s only because of this Werewolf business.”

“Declan has been a Werewolf since he was 3 years old when he was attacked.” I arched an eyebrow back at Derik.

“Yeah, but see? The Lokoti Werewolves don’t turn until they’re ten years old or older, when a male relative like a grandfather or a father dies, which triggers their Werewolf DNA. Declan was turned into a Werewolf by the European Werewolf that attacked him and Dad, when our Dad died. Plus he’s a different breed of Werewolf, so he has different symptoms. It’s not his fault if…” Derik went on but I cut him off.

“He’s socially inept.”

“No he’s not…” Derik tried to argue, but then I shot him a tired look and he stopped himself, “…well alright, so he’s a little on the defensive side and he keeps people at arms length. But that’s only so he won’t accidentally turn anybody else in the tribe by biting them. He hardly ever hugs Mom because he’s scared of hurting her. How do you think that makes him feel?”

“Oh poor Declan, he’s just misunderstood.” I whined in a funny voice. Derik tickled me for that! “Derik, cut it out!” I laughed and rolled away from him. But Derik didn’t cut it out, he kept at it! “Derik! Derik no! Stop it!” I squealed, rolling off the bed to get away from him.

He cracked up laughing when he saw me land on the floor.

“Are you OK?” he chuckled, reaching over and pulling me back onto the bed.

“You know I hate being tickled!” I hit him hard on the arm.

“Oow!” Derik guffawed, flinching. “Your right hook has really been beefing up in the last month or so. Are you working out or something?”

“No.” I gave him a look as if he were mad for even suggesting it.

“Hmm.” He squeezed my arms to check the muscles for himself. “I guess not, they still feel pretty flimsy.”

“Hey!” I whacked him a second time.

“Ouch!” he rubbed his sore shoulder where I hit him. “You may look like a pipsqueak, but you hit almost as hard as Declan.”

“I thought you said Declan treated you and your mother with kid gloves or something.” I gave him a funny look.

“He’s punched me now and then.” Derik smiled ruefully.

“I thought he was worried about accidentally turning you.”

“Well, yeah he is.” He shrugged. “But when he punches me his hand is in a fist so his nails are tucked in. Besides he can only turn someone if he bites them… I overheard your Grandfather and my Mom talk about it.”

“Typical.” I rolled my eyes. “The guy is afraid to hug his own mother but he’ll still male bond with his brother by beating him up now and again.”

“Yeah, that’s about right for us men.” Derik said in humor. Then he looked at his watch before he looked back. “I’d better take off. So, will I see you later on tonight down at Ben’s bonfire?”

I gave a nod before Derik stood up first and out of politeness so did I, as I walked him to my bedroom door.

Just as I started to open the door to let him out, Derik stopped us. He quickly leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips. At first this took me by surprise and for a couple of seconds I froze… but then I recovered as I regained my senses.

“Derik.” I frowned.

“Yeah I know, you don’t know if you’re ready for anything more than friends yet.” He gave a guilty smile. “But I couldn’t resist.”

“Try.”

Derik sighed wistfully as he left my bedroom and he walked down the small corridor to the stairs. After throwing me one last look, he jogged down my small staircase. I closed my bedroom door behind and leant on it whilst sighing myself.

I’ve known Derik forever…he’s one of the few boys of the tribe that’s my age, although he’s not a Native Alaskan nor is he Lokoti by marriage. Derik, his older brother Declan and his mother Aunt Susan, are the only non-Lokoti invited to live on this land as one of us, who weren’t married into us.

Aunt Susan who was pregnant with Derik at the time, came here to live when Declan was just three years old. On the night of her arrival, her husband died from the European Werewolf attack which had also mauled and ultimately changed Declan. My Gran helped the Lokoti Werewolves fight the foreign Werewolf which was a different and more dangerous breed of Werewolf, a man-eater. Then Gran found out that Susan had been married to Anthony Sabre who was killed by the foreign Werewolf? That was that, Susan and her kids were declared family and were taken in by the tribe. Apparently Anthony’s Great Grand Uncle was Mike Sabre, who was turned into a Circulator by my Great Great Grandmother, Elisha Worthall.

The female lineage of Elisha Worthall all became Circulators, including my grandmother and mother. They used to be part of the Circulate, but when the Circulate evolved to exist as pure energy and light and take their place in the space time continuum? It left behind only my Gran and Mum, who later met the last Calculator Vincent Moher, who was our distant cousin.

I’m meant to be the last Circulator although I haven’t circulated yet, which means that I can’t put myself into phase. In layman’s terms it basically explains that I can’t turn my biological body into one of light and pass through time and space, as you do…! I’m turning 18 years old in a month’s time and all I’ve had are the dreams and visions. Sometimes I wonder if I’m a Circulator, or a Calculator? Vincent as our Calculator can’t put himself into phase; but he has a highly attuned mind that is able to calculate temporal causalities. He can ‘see’ how we affect the timeline, or what’s in store for us.

“I wouldn’t worry about it, B.” Mum said for her trillionth time when I voiced my reservations about my ability. “I didn’t phase for my first time until I was 18 years old and pregnant with you.”

“How old were you when you phased for the first time, Gran?” I asked her over the dinner table.

She, Grandfather, Great Grandma, Uncle Julian, Aunt Danika, and my younger cousins would often come to dinner, or I would go to Gran and Grandfather’s house with my parents and see everyone there.

“I phased for my first time when I was 13 years old. My mother phased for her first time when she was 16.” Gran shrugged so casually it was as if we were talking about learning how to do a handstand.

To say that my family was ‘unique’ would have been an understatement. With Mum and Gran being Circulators; their bio-electromagnetic frequencies are in temporal flux so they didn’t age. Both my Mum and my Gran had the appearance of human women in their twenties. But their husbands, Dad and Grandfather didn’t mind this one bit. Since Dad, Grandfather and Uncle Julian were Lokoti Werewolves, they could live until they’re 200 years old. My 56 year old Grandfather looked like a man in his early forties as my 39 year old Dad had the appearance of a man in his mid twenties. As was the custom of our tribe except with my family, the Lokoti Werewolves outlived their human wives.

Whereas we lived on the hill, the Sabre’s (pronounced Sar-bra, if you ever want to see Declan’s Werewolf eyes glow then mispronounce his surname) lived in the central community of our tribal lands where the sports field, general store/ gas station, garage, meeting hall and small library/ school were. The Lokoti community centre was like a village primarily made up of residential homes on small streets, with simplistic gardens and greenhouses for families to grow their own fruit and vegetables. All of the buildings here were made from wood which came courtesy of the surrounding forest.

The Lokoti Tribal Lands were safely tucked away in a small corner of the vast Lokoti National Park in the Alaska Range. We were situated 4.5 hours north of Anchorage and 1.5 hours south of Fairbanks. The small township of Alma is 7 km’s away where before the War, the Lokoti kids went to school and families shopped in the supermarket there. However since the War, Alma like many towns or cities of this planet, either turned into a ghost town or a crime hotspot thanks to looting.

Aunt Susan and Gran helped run our make-shift school which primarily went from when you were 7 – 15 years old. But there were some kids like Derik and I, who continued our schooling by concentrating on different areas. Derik loved studying science and I just loved studying history, so our parents continued to tell us what additional books we could read. They even set us ‘assignments’ which we occasionally had to write up to show if we understood or not, the books which had been recommended.

“He doesn’t just look like his Great Great Grand Uncle, Mike Sabre but he has disposition too… maybe Derik will become a Medicine Man? Mike Sabre was a doctor.” Gran shrugged to Aunt Susan. She and Grandfather were especially close to Aunt Susan and her sons, as they helped the widow raise her young.

Aunt Susan was equally proud of her two sons, although they were as different from each other as chalk and cheese. Derik had brown hair, brown eyes and was academic, sensitive and easy to talk to. He had been my playmate ever since we were babies as our birthdays were only two weeks apart.

However Derik’s older brother Declan, was another story. He stopped going to school when he was 13 years old to become an apprentice mechanic instead. Declan is soon to turn 21 and he’s the rudest, most arrogant boy in the tribe… with dark blonde hair, bright blue eyes and a constant scowl. He bosses Derik around a lot, seeing himself as head of the family. The only people I’ve ever seen him be nice to, are adults such as his parent, my parents and to my grandparents. When Declan changed, the Lokoti Werewolf pack took him under their wing. By taking him hunting every full moon in the National Park, they taught the young European Werewolf to replace his craving for human flesh to animal instead.

When Lokoti Werewolves change they still look humanoid; as their muscles bulk up, their eyes change colour and glow, the nails on their hands and feet turn long and hard, like claws. Their teeth become elongated and sharp as they have lightening fast reflexes and supernatural strength. But when Declan changes, he completely morphs from man to beast. He looks like a huge, hulking, hairless wolf with his height and weight doubling; which means he’s bigger and stronger than the Lokoti Werewolf. His bright green eyes would glow in the dark and from the few times I’d seen them in Werewolf form, they still unnerved me.

The fifteen Lokoti Werewolves are highly esteemed members of the Lokoti tribe. Three of our nine Tribal Elders are Werewolves. The Lokoti Werewolves were seen as our guardians. World War Three occurred three years before I was born and from then, the Lokoti Werewolves have patrolled our tribal lands, keeping us safe from looters during the outside world’s sickness and lawlessness. They even fought foreign Werewolves who still feasted on human flesh, like the European Werewolf who killed Anthony Sabre and turned Declan.

Our tribe has become accustomed to the mish-mash of different breeds of Werewolves, or Circulators and other humans with special gifts. To the humans, it became easy to spot a Werewolf in the crowd due to their towering height and strong build. To the Werewolves, it was easy with their infrared sight, to spot the Circulator or the psychic, because of the auras they produced.

And me…? I’m nobody special, not really. I’m the daughter, granddaughter and niece of Lokoti Werewolves but that’s it. Oh yeah, I’m supposed to be a Circulator but I can’t circulate. I’m the last Circulator in all of human history, so my family says. My appearance is nothing out of the ordinary either. I’m 160 cm’s tall with typical straight, black Lokoti hair but I have my mother’s and my grandmother’s blue eyes. My skin wasn’t bronzed like the Lokoti natural skin colour either as neither is Mum’s. I think my Mum and I get our colouring from my Gran who is English.

Gran has bright blue eyes, pale skin and wavy, chestnut brown hair. Grandfather and Dad are either half or three-quarter Lokoti with the typical straight black hair. But Grandfather’s grandmother was Caucasian so he has her blue eyes. Nana, who is my Dad’s Mum, is Chinese-American so Dad has her pale skin and dark, sharp eyes. With my blue eyes, they were darker than my family’s for some reason. Maybe because my father’s Lokoti-Asian dark brown were mixed in?

“B!” I heard Mum call out.

“Yeah?”

“Dinner’s ready!”

I opened my bedroom door and skipped downstairs to take my place at the table. I found Dad was home from his meeting with the Tribal Elders and the pack, as he helped Mum serve dinner. He and Mum shared the jobs around the house like cooking and cleaning in equal measure, which included raising their beloved only child.

“How are you B?” Dad smiled.

“Good thanks Dad. What’s for dinner?” I watched my parents serve up in the kitchen.

“Roast Duck and roast vegetables.” Dad answered. “We’ve got plenty of food here, it looks like we have enough leftovers for the next two nights.”

“I was expecting Derik would be staying for dinner.” Mum shrugged.

“That boy’s got the appetite of a Werewolf alright, although he’s human.” Dad let out a laugh.

Dad carried our plates over to the table and placed mine in front of me before taking his seat. Mum followed after him and she poured us all a glass of milk each.

“Is this Great Grandma’s special gravy recipe?” I paused before I picked up the gravy boat.

“Of course.” Mum answered.

I picked up the gravy boat, poured a generous amount over my plate and then I started to pass it to Dad.

“Your mother first.” Dad nodded towards his mate whom he doted upon.

I held the gravy boat for Mum as she finished doling out our glasses of milk. She took it from me, poured it and then passed it to Dad, coupled with a small smile. Dad beamed back, before he cleared his throat and turned my way.

“Are you going to Ben’s bonfire tonight?”

“Yep.” I answered as I picked up my cutlery.

“You’ll be home by midnight, OK?” Dad requested.

“OK.”

“Ask Derik to walk you home.” Dad added on.

“Why?”

“Because I’m old fashioned.” Dad said simply.

“Huh?” I gave a funny look.

“In the olden days it was the custom for men to walk women home.” Mum informed.

“Why?”

“Well, safety was the primary issue.” Mum shrugged.

“But I’m safe as nothing ever happens here. The pack keeps out strangers and outsiders.” I scoffed as I ate. Dad shared a knowing look with Mum, which I caught. “What, Dad? What is it?”

“How did the meeting with the Tribal Elders go?” My mother asked my father.

“Remember how we were talking a couple of months ago how Alma is starting to become repopulated again? Apparently there is a bad element brewing in the town. The Elders have been approached by a representative of the town who asked if the pack will remove the trouble makers.” Dad told her.

Mum arched her eyebrows in surprise. “What’s the consensus of the Elders?”

“They’re thinking about it.” Dad said. “What happens in town does affect our tribal lands. A couple of times when we’ve been on patrol we’ve had to warn off some of the new townspeople who’ve been poaching on our land.”

“What’s poaching?” I asked.

“It’s when somebody hunts game or wildlife on somebody else’s land… so in fact that they’re killing somebody else’s animals to eat.” Mum explained.

“Isn’t that stealing?”

“It’s definitely trespassing.” Dad said staunchly. “They feign ignorance, but twice I’ve caught the same group of men doing it.”

“The same group of men who are the bad element?” Mum guessed.

“Your Dad and brother told me when they’ve been on patrol how they’ve also moved this group of men on, when they’ve been drinking on our land.” Dad said unhappily. “The last six months we’ve had the most problems with these particular guys.”

“So how many people are we talking about here, that the pack has been asked to play law enforcers by removing?” Mum asked concerned.

“Around twenty.” Dad answered.

“And the townspeople have tried asking them to leave?” Mum asked.

“The townspeople have.” Dad sighed.

“And what happened?” Mum asked.

“They beat up the town’s representatives of the three men and one woman. A week later the hoodlums reopened the old Bar and are serving moonshine, attracting more of a bad element.” Dad said flatly.

Mum glared down at her plate, losing her appetite which I could tell as she just pushed the food around instead of eating it.

“They hit the woman?” I looked at Dad in alarm as he gave a nod. I wanted to clarify, “they actually beat up the woman?”

Dad looked like he was regretting talking about this now, as he looked on both Mum and I guiltily.

“Hang on.” I put down my cutlery. “They – the men – the baddies in the story, HIT the woman?”

“Unfortunately that’s what baddies do, B.” Dad said softly, as he reached over to put his hand over mine.

Flabbergasted, I looked back… I hadn’t heard of men physically harming women except in the books I’ve read. Aside from our tribe’s story of the second last time a Lokoti Werewolf feasted on human was 300 years ago in vengeance of the English soldiers who had kidnapped six Lokoti women; the very last time a Lokoti Werewolf tasted human flesh was three months before I was born. A group of over 500 invaders who were sick, starving and desperate, tried to invade our tribal lands since unpolluted land safe from nuclear fall out was precious and rare.

I had grown accustomed to the blissful domesticity that our tribe had worked hard to create. Ours was a world where doors were left unlocked, everyone knew each other’s names and we had many tribal celebrations. Sure, things got sad when somebody died? But with the miraculous skill of our Medicine Man my Grandpa, he used his Werewolf supernatural senses to accurately diagnose and offer treatment. The highest cause of death in the tribe was simply old age.

Our festivities centered around the change in the seasons, or when it was somebody’s birthday, or even when somebody ‘married’ and the tribe threw a Housewarming for the couple. Ben’s bonfire tonight was to commemorate the last night of the summer. All the tribe’s young people would be there to ‘hang out’ and sip soda which was only served on special occasions since it was becoming a rare commodity now.

“So I would prefer it if Derik walked you home after the bonfire tonight.” Dad patted my hand before he returned to his eating.

“Why?” I asked again. “No baddies or strangers make it past our boarders with the Werewolves patrolling.”

“Call it peace of mind.” Dad said coolly.

“But Derik lives at the bottom of the hill, twenty minutes away. So he’ll have to walk me home, twenty minutes up the hill and then back home again, twenty minutes back. That’s over half an hour out of his way.” I debated with my father.

“I don’t think Derik will mind.” Mum smirked to Dad.

“Not if he’s hoping for a kiss for his effort.” Dad smirked back.

“Mum! Dad! Shut up!” I turned bright red. My parents cracked up laughing at how quickly my face’s colour changed. “Besides as my father, aren’t you meant to be chasing my suitors away?”

“If your ‘suitor’ was a hoodlum or a baddie, yes I would chase him away. But this is Derik we’re talking about here. He’s been your best friend from the age of 0 – 16 and your boyfriend since.” Dad shrugged. “He’s a good boy.”

“He’s NOT my boyfriend.” I looked down to concentrate on cutting up my food. “Derik’s my best friend but that’s it.”

“What is with the women in your family?” Dad looked on Mum, who looked inquiringly back. “Your father took a while to woo your mother, it took me a while to woo you and now Derik is up against the same wall around our daughter?”

“Stop exaggerating!” Mum rolled her eyes. “My Mum had me when she was 19 and I had B when I was 19 years old. I wouldn’t call that strong opposition!”

“Ah, but your father fell in love with your mother when he was 14 and I fell in love with you when I was 2 years old.” Dad arched his eyebrows. “It took me sixteen years to finally make a mark or put a dent in your exterior.”

“Oh excuse me for not becoming pregnant when I was 13 years old!” Mum said sarcastically.

“I saved your mother’s life when she was 5 and I was 7 years old.” Dad began his old story.

“Here we go.” Mum sat back and folded her arms.

“She nearly drowned when the river flooded after a bad storm. She was down there by herself, which she wasn’t allowed to do when she was that age. I sensed she was in danger and I reached her first.” Dad recanted the tale.

Mum and I exchanged smiles of amusement as we listened to Dad retell the story I’ve heard repeatedly since I was a little girl.

“I’ve always known that your mother is the woman for me. But getting your mother to see this point of view was another story.” Dad gave Mum a goofy grin. “When your mother was 7 years old, she started running away and hiding from me. When she was 14, I asked her out on a date but she turned me down. From the ages of 14 to 18, I kept asking her out and she continued to turn me down. She was so stubborn, she would probably still be doing that; but then I saved her life a second time when she was 18 and I was 20 years old and from that day on, I could finally call her my mate.”

“Now I’m stuck with him for another 100 years.” Mum pulled a face, making me laugh.

“But she secretly loves every minute that we’re together.” Dad pulled a face too, continuing the laughter.

“Your father has his bearable moments.” Mum conceded with a sigh.

“My heart still races when your mother walks into a room.” Dad sighed too.

My parents shared one of their typical meaningful long glances across the table.

“Er, kids in the room.” I said uncomfortably as I stood up from the table and carried my plate into the kitchen. As I put my plate in the sink, I enquired, “do you want me to wash up?”

“No, you go on to the bonfire.” Mum said.

“And remember, let Derik walk you home.” Dad ordered.

*****

I arrived at the bonfire in Ben’s back yard just before seven o’clock and found a large crowd of young people, between the ages of 12 to 22 already here.

Ben was two years older than me and worked as a mechanic with Declan and Uncle Finn. The garage they worked at was beside the general store/ gas station. The boys called themselves ‘grease monkeys’ and played loud rock music all day as they worked on a car or motor bike or boat engine. Declan may have been an arrogant asshole, but Ben was pretty cool. He was human, funny and charismatic. He’s been holding bonfire parties in his parent’s large back yard since he was 14 years old.

“Hey Ben.” I greeted him first, since this was his party.

“Hey, B!” Ben smiled exuberantly, as he shook my hand. “Welcome! Grab yourself a soda. My Mom and Dad are over there, doling them out.”

“Thanks.” I walked away to let him continue his conversation before I interrupted. He was talking to Feather, one of the tribe’s prettiest girls.

“Hey B.”

“How’s it goin’, B?”

“Good to see you, B.”

I smiled as I said the expected pleasantries back to the familiar faces that I grew up with as I walked to the drinks table. I saw Derik was talking to Pan, a boy who was a year older than us. Derik noticed my arrival and waved me over. I waved back and mouthed ‘in a minute’. Derik understood as he turned back to continue his conversation.

“Hi Mr. and Mrs. Shallow Water.” I greeted, approaching Ben’s parents.

“Hi Bianca.” Mrs. Shallow Water smiled warmly. “How are you? How is your mother?”

“Good thanks.”

“Say hi to her for me, won’t you.” Mrs. Shallow Water said. “Now what soda would you like?”

I looked at the bottles of root beer, creaming soda, lemonade and cola.

“I’ll go the cola please.” I pointed.

“Wise choice.” Mr. Shallow Water smiled and then he jokingly went on. “It’s a good year and was picked during a good harvest. It has a sweet flavor with a fizzy bouquet. Perhaps madame would like to sniff the beverage before consuming it?”

“Oh Cliff!” Mrs. Shallow Water laughed at her husband. “Take no heed of him Bianca. Here, enjoy your drink.” She passed me my plastic cup with the soda inside.

“Thank you.” I giggled at the both of them and then I turned around and I was about to head towards Derik, when I almost ran into Daniel.

“Bianca!” his eyes widened.

“Oh, Daniel! Sorry!” I laughed. “I didn’t mean to walk into you.”

“No harm done, you can walk into me any day.” Daniel joked.

OK… I thought that was a bit of an odd thing to say.

“So, what are you drinking?” Daniel asked, looking at my cup.

“Um, cola.”

“Good choice, I think I might have the same.” He looked at Mr. Shallow Water who smiled and nodded and poured him a cup. He passed it to Daniel who immediately took a large mouthful, before he asked, “what have you been up to, B? I haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Oh um, I’m studying a lot.” I shrugged.

“That’s right.” Daniel nodded. “History, right?”

“Yeah.”

“When was the last time you went swimming in the river?” Daniel next asked.

“Wow, what a good question… um, since ages?” I pondered.

“I’m going tomorrow with the usual gang.” He nodded towards his small group of friends standing off to the side, who like Daniel, were two years older than me. “You should come along.”

“I don’t know…”

“Come on, before it gets cold.” Daniel recommended.

“Um, I’ll see.” I smiled uneasily.

Daniel has never asked me anywhere before, he’s always just been a friendly acquaintance and nothing more.

“OK then.” Daniel half turned away. “Well, I’ve gotta go back and join my friends. Feel free to come and say hi to them. You’ll see that we’re actually not that scary.”

“OK.” I laughed lightly.

“See you around, Bianca.” Daniel squeezed my arm and gave a meaningful look, the same kind of look I had seen my Dad give my Mum only half an hour ago…

I stood still to watch him walk off, but as soon as he rejoined his friends he looked back my way. That IS weird! Why is Daniel, this older boy who I hardly talk to, who I thought has never noticed me before, paying attention to me now?

Just then Justin and Leaf walked past to the drinks table.

“Hey B.” Justin greeted.

“How’s it goin’, B?” Leaf asked politely.

“Oh um, what?” I snapped out of it. “Oh, I’m fine thanks. How are you two goin’?”

“Not bad.” Justin shrugged.

“I can’t complain – no one listens.” Leaf said the old joke. Then he paused and looked at me closely. “Are you wearing mascara?”

“No.” I gave him a funny look and so did Jack.

“Oh, sorry! It’s just that your eyes looked different for a second then.” Leaf blushed and looked down.

“Were you going to try to get some beauty tips or something there Leaf?” Justin laughed and nudged his friend.

“Aw, shut up!” Leaf nudged him back.

“So B, what have you been up to lately? We don’t see you around as much anymore.” Justin asked.

“Studying.” I answered.

“What are you studying?” Leaf asked.

“History.”

“What kind of history?” Leaf asked again.

“All kinds of History. I’m reading about Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece and Rome.” I told him.

“Rome? Oh yeah, like gladiators and stuff.” Leaf nodded.

“Yeah, something like that.” I sipped my drink.

“Do you have a favourite part in History that you like?” He inquired.

“Um no, not really.” I shrugged. “I like all of it.”

“And how did you get interested in that sort of stuff?” Leaf looked on with wide eyes, almost as if he were drinking in the sight of my face.

I looked from him to Justin, wondering what was going on here? Justin looked just as surprised at his friend’s sudden interest in me as I was. Justin and Leaf were cool guys, who were two years younger than I was. Leaf was almost like a little cousin as he was Uncle Ian’s son. His father was my father’s best friend and another Lokoti Werewolf. But like Daniel, they were just casual acquaintances. Until tonight, I had hardly said ‘boo’ to them except for polite acknowledgements at social gatherings such as this.

“How did I get interested in History? Um, I don’t know… I’ve always enjoyed hearing the stories about our tribe. I also liked finding out about my Mum’s family line from England and Australia.” I looked downwards as awkwardly I stood from one foot to the next, antsy to get away.

“So what are you doing tomorrow, B?” Leaf asked. “Justin and I and a couple of the guys were going to have a game of soccer…”

…but before he could finish, he was interrupted.

“Alright small fry.” Declan suddenly appeared beside me. “The lady’s taken. Skedaddle!”

Justin and Leaf’s eyes widened by the sudden appearance of the tribe’s most dangerous Werewolf, even if he was in human form. They quickly turned around and left to talk to someone else.

“Declan!” I whacked him on the arm as I felt my cheeks burn.

“What?” He gave a funny look.

“What did you do that for?!”

“Oh, you mean you like having all the guys at this party fall over themselves for you?” Declan looked on unimpressed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” I felt my cheeks turn from red to crimson.

“No?” He arched his eyebrows. “Either you’re the most popular girl here that everyone’s inviting to swimming in rivers or to soccer games…but I’m thinking that these guys aren’t exactly inviting you to these events for the sport, or that kind of sport anyway.”

Declan was looking about with his eyes narrowing and I looked around to see what he was looking at. Beside Leaf and Daniel’s eyes looking my way, I actually noticed two other boys doing the same.

“Your popularity has certainly gone up around here.” Declan said stroppily. Then he gave me a peculiar look, “are you wearing a new perfume or something?”

“What?” I took a step away from him. “No!”

“Hey, don’t flatter yourself princess.” He sneered at my reaction. “I’m here looking out for my brother’s interests.”

“Excuse me?”

“Derik is just a human so he can’t smell the elevated testosterone around you.” He sneered as he looked about again.

“Don’t be disgusting, Declan.”

“Go and stand with my brother and stop flirting with the other boys, would you?”

“Drop dead Declan.” I said icily before I walked away.

Instead of walking to Derik, I went over to Rachel and Mandy, two girls my age whom I used to hang out with in school and I still got together with.

“Hi B!” Rachel smiled. “How are you?”

“I’m good thanks Rach. How are you?” I kissed her cheek and then Mandy’s.

“Good thanks.” Rachel answered congenially.

“How are your studies going?” Mandy asked.

“Good thanks.” I gave a nod. “How about with you guys?”

“Yeah, OK. Your Grandpa keeps lending me books to read, to study up on Naturopathy.” Rachel shrugged.

“Mr. Lightfoot is lending me text books and stuff as he and Aunt Susan teach me how to do lesson plans. Next year I could start teaching one or two days a week.” Mandy informed.

“Gees Mandy, why do you want to go BACK to school for?” Rachel joked.

“Hey at least it will be different this time, as a Teacher I won’t have to do homework.” Mandy shrugged.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that if I were you.” I smirked. “I see my Gran marking stuff all the time when she’s at home.”

Rachel cracked up laughing and pointed tauntingly at Mandy, who bad-temperedly hit her hand away.

“At least I’ll be marking it instead of doing it.” Mandy came up as her excuse and then she changed tact. “B, have you ever thought about going to University to study History?”

“University?” I echoed in surprise.

“I saw on the internet that a couple of Universities have reopened, including Cambridge in England. You’re part English or something, aren’t you?” Mandy remembered.

“Yeah.”

“Hence her Lokoti dark hair and her English blue eyes.” Rachel laughed at Mandy.

“You could probably study History at Cambridge.” Mandy shrugged.

“Yeah!” My eyes lit up at the idea. “That would be cool! I could study History in a place full of history! And I have relatives in England I could visit.”

“You’re all set then.” Rachel laughed.

“But my Dad says University education is expensive.” Mandy warned.

“Mandy, I’ve heard her English relatives live in a frickin’ castle! A CASTLE! I don’t think money - or English money - will be a problem.” Rachel laughed harder.

“Plus I’m supposed to be a Circulator.” I shrugged. “When my ability to phase starts up, I’ll be able to travel back in time, pinch relics and bring them back here to sell for heaps of money.”

“Yeah, there’s always that.” Mandy shrugged.

Just then we were interrupted by Roger a boy who was three years older than us, when he walked up to our small circle.

“Hi Rachel. Hi Mandy. Hi Bianca.” Roger greeted nervously.

“Hi Roger.” Mandy gave his sudden appearance a curious look.

“Bianca.” Roger turned to look my way. “Hi… I mean er, how are you?”

What the…? What the hell is going on here?! Is this some kind of joke or a prank or something, with the guys at this party tonight? Am I secretly being filmed as apart of a ‘Candid Camera’ skit?

“I’m good thanks Roger. How are you?” I replied as I forced myself to be polite, although I felt like taking off and running out of here.

“Me? Oh um, I’m good.” Roger looked down into his drink, which was trembling slightly in his hand. “Um Bianca, can I ask you a question?”

“You just did.” Rachel said dryly, making Mandy giggle.

“Oh yeah, I did.” Roger laughed nervously. “But um, Bianca, are you going out with Derik?”

“What?” I looked from Roger to Mandy and Rachel, embarrassed. “Um, no. Why?”

“Then would you like to come over to my place for a movie night tomorrow? Or I could bring the movies over to your place…?” Roger asked hastily, almost forcing it out.

“Um…” I felt my face heat up, “…no, I’m sorry Roger but no thanks.”

“Oh...” Roger looked completely crestfallen, “…um, why?”

“Look Roger, you’re a nice guy. But um, I’ve never seen you more than as a friend.” My face flushed as I looked from him and then into my drink. To be honest, I’ve never seen him more than a casual acquaintance!

“Really?” Roger looked on pleadingly. “Why not?”

“Because um, I don’t know you that well…”

Suddenly I was saved by the bell when Derik walked over and joined us.

“Derik!” I cried out in relief.

My best friend stood next to Roger, giving him a warning look. But Roger refused to be scared off by Derik who was three years younger than him so he glared back. But then Declan appeared beside Derik and he looked on Roger… and Roger skedaddled out of here with out being told.

“I’ll see you later Bianca.” Roger said annoyed, before he turned around and walked off.

“Wow, you’re popular tonight.” Derik frowned, watching the back of Roger disappear into the party.

“Is this some kind of joke? Is this a prank? Did somebody arrange this or something?” I looked from Mandy to Rachel then to Derik. “Are people going to next yell out, ‘April’s Fool’!”

“What’s a joke?” Rachel gave a peculiar look.

“I don’t know, but that was my first guess. Besides my blind younger brother, I don’t know who would see you as attractive.” Declan scoffed.

Derik turned around and whacked him! Older brother growled at younger brother, as the two stood tense and angry with each other for a minute or two.

“I told you Daniel was checking her out.” Mandy nudged Rachel, inferring me.

“What?” Derik’s eyes widened in alarm, as he next looked over to where Daniel was standing with his friends.

“But I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about, Derik.” Rachel laughed and clapped him on the shoulder. “Daniel may be older than you? But you’ve got way more years in experience by knowing B and by knowing what makes her tick.”

“Now that’s not something he can boast about, nor would be something difficult to do.” Declan muttered into his drink before Derik whacked him on the arm again. Then Declan tossed his plastic cup into a bin two meters away. “Alright, I’m outta here.”

“Thank God for small favors.” I said sarcastically.

“I’m on patrol tonight.” Declan glared at me before he looked at his little brother. “Tell Mom I’ll be home at dawn.”

“See you.” Derik watched his brother leave as did Mandy.

I caught her checking out the back view of Declan’s strong build, as he walked away...

“Mandy, no way!” I looked on askance.

“What?” Mandy shyly looked away, but Derik sprung her.

“Why Mandy, I never knew.” Derik teased.

“Shut up.” She blushed whilst taking several large mouthfuls of her drink.

“This is just like Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’ with all the awry love going on here.” Rachel remarked.

“And Declan is the ass that the Fairy Queen falls in love with.” I nodded in agreement.

*****

The rest of the evening passed relatively free of incident, but I grew bored around 10 PM.

“I think I might head off.” I excused myself from Rachel and Mandy’s company.

“OK then.” Rachel said, as I gave her another kiss on the cheek and then on Mandy’s.

“We should catch up soon.” Mandy said sincerely.

“Yeah, that would be cool.” I agreed.

“I’ll walk you home.” Derik threw away his plastic cup.

“No Derik, it’s OK -” I began.

“I’ll walk you home.” Derik repeated as he took hold of my hand. “G’night guys.”

“G’night Derik. G’night B.” Rachel and Mandy waved back.

I noticed that Roger, Daniel and Leaf, watched us leave as they stood apart with their different groups of friends. I looked away from the party as I focused my gaze on the road ahead. Derik and I left Ben’s place and headed towards the wood-encrusted hill, where I lived. At first we walked in a comfortable silence, as I looked upwards and stared at the stars…

“I can’t wait for the day when I can travel to Mars and Taurus Six by myself.” I sighed.

“Really?” Derik frowned. “Why are you so anxious to leave?”

“I’m not ‘anxious’ to leave… I just can’t wait until I can phase there and not rely on my Mum or my Gran taking me.” I shrugged.

“OK.” Derik looked on ahead whilst tucking his free hand into his pocket.

“Oh.” I remembered something else on this note. “Mandy told me tonight that Cambridge University in England has opened again.”

“B, I know where Cambridge University is.” Derik chuckled.

“Sorry!” I playfully poked him. “But anyway, have you ever wondered what it might be like to go away and study somewhere like that?”

“Um, yes and no… I don’t know.” He shrugged. “I mean, sure I want to further my education, but I don’t know if I could live overseas to do it.”

Then we both turned quiet for a couple of minutes. We walked along the dirt road in the dim light, but in the starlight I could make out the pot holes so I knew when to step over them. But Derik seemed to have a harder time making anything out in the darkness and at one stage he nearly tripped over!

“Aagh!” Derik cried out, but I quickly caught him.

“Are you OK?” I held him steady.

“Er, yeah… good reflexes you’ve got there.” He said, impressed. “I can’t see the pot holes in the road properly.”

“Really?” I asked in surprise. “I can see everything pretty well in the starlight.”

“Are you kidding?” Derik sounded further surprised. “It’s so dark, especially with the trees blocking out most of the light.”

I stopped us in our tracks. “Derik, you don’t have to walk me home…” I said, feeling bad for him.

“B, don’t be stupid.” He said adamantly as I caught him blush. “Of course I’m going to walk you home.”

I laughed as I shook my head, “no wonder my Dad likes you; you seem a lot alike.”

“Yeah?” Derik sounded surprised.

I shrugged, but he didn’t see me shrug. Actually, I don’t think Derik could see much of anything. I had to take hold of his hand and guide him, as he was veering off all over the place.

“You know what, Derik?” I started to slow. “I don’t think you should walk me home, as you can barely see where you’re going.”

“I’ll be fine….” He started, but then he tripped over a rock on the road! I caught him a second time as I helped him return to his feet. He laughed, embarrassed. “Woah! You ARE strong and you see well in the dark! Are you sure Lokoti women can’t turn into Werewolves?”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I giggled. I stopped us in our tracks and when he tried to pull me onwards, I ended up pulling him back. I said firmly, “Derik, this is the end of the line for you. I don’t want you to walk back by yourself and break your neck.”

“Yeah, I guess you have a point.” He chuckled. “Or I could walk you home and maybe borrow a torch for the walk back?”

“There’s no need. You’ve walked me more than halfway home now. You should go home yourself.” I said resolutely, but Derik sighed disappointedly for some reason. I watched his nervous look appear on his face. “What?”

“This isn’t the walk home that I imagined taking you on.” He said regretfully. I gave him a funny look, thinking that this was an odd thing to say, but I don’t think he saw that either. “B, do you remember that afternoon by the river a few months back?”

“Derik, we’ve spent many an afternoon by the river.”

“Yeah, I know. But I mean the afternoon we kissed for the first time, our first French kiss for the both of us.” Derik said awkwardly, shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his jeans. Oh oh… my stomach lurched as I felt tension tighten my shoulders. He went on, “I know we kissed just so we could get out of the way our first French kiss with anyone? But I liked it and I liked kissing you that way. I know that you see me as your best friend, but don’t you think that’s good grounds to base a relationship on?”

“What, am I next going to start kissing Rachel and Mandy like that?” I laughed at his logic as I gave a playful shove.

Derik laughed uneasily before he rolled his eyes, “just in case you do, make sure Declan isn’t around. Otherwise he’d probably lose his self control.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind.”

We both turned quiet again and I noticed how we fell into an uncomfortable silence which was unusual for us. I caught Derik looking away, frowning deeply. Oh oh, don’t tell me that I’m in jeopardy of losing my best friend, because I don’t want to kiss him?

“Look.” He spoke in a low voice. “B, couldn’t we just try it?”

“Try it? Try what? We’ve already tried kissing…” I said confused.

Derik took hold of my hand to pull me to him. “Try seeing me as more than a friend even if it’s just for a moment, or even for a little while. Just see me as grown up Derik, instead of childhood friend Derik.”

Now he put his arms around my waist…Frickin’ hell, what do I do? Do I push him away or do I pull away? Can I turn around and run home? But most importantly, do I really want to hurt my best friend?

This was the thought which stayed me. I forced myself to remain still when he bent his head forward to kiss me. I had to use all of my self control and staying power to not gross out. It’s not like this was deliberately torture, but I didn’t feel that way about Derik… I just didn’t.

BANG!

We suddenly pulled apart to look about in fright.

“Did you hear that?” Derik asked worriedly.

“That was a gun shot.” I said anxiously. “It sounded far away, like it was coming from the border between Lokoti land and Alma.”

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I ended up clinging onto Derik’s top as he held me tighter.

“Come on, let’s get you home!” He turned us around to speedily walk us up the hill with his arm about my shoulders.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

The shots rang out through the still night, echoing through the trees… the noise seemed to wash over the woods and reverberate through the darkness.

“What the hell is going on down there?” I uttered out, afraid.

My stomach knotted as I fretted about which two Lokoti Werewolves who were on patrol tonight, were up against THAT?

“Oh no!” Suddenly I stopped.

“What?”

“DECLAN is on patrol tonight!” I cried out. Derik froze as a look of utter dread spread across his face. I grabbed hold of his hand as I began to run us back down the hill. “Come on!”

“Where are we going?” Derik objected.

“To your house!” I barked back. “If anything has happened to Declan, the Lokoti Werewolves will bring him there where Grandpa will treat him!”

Now Derik ran faster beside and we bolted whilst holding hands, all the way to his house.

*****

Derik barged through his front door, with me right behind. We found his mother, Aunt Susan dressed in a nightgown and robe, pacing up and down in their small lounge room.

“Derik!” she tearfully held out her arms and her youngest son rushed into them to comfort her. “Derik, did you hear that?”

“Yeah, I heard it.” He said unhappily.

“I had just turned off my light and settled down to sleep when I heard it!” her eyes watered. “It’s Declan’s turn to patrol tonight.”

“Yeah, I know.” He walked her over to the couch and sat her down. “But remember what Uncle Em says about European Werewolves, which Declan is? They’re stronger and faster than Lokoti Werewolves so I’m sure Declan will be OK.”

I nodded encouragingly to a tearful Aunt Susan. “Grandfather says Declan is the strongest and fastest of the pack.”

“And he’s a fast healer.” Derik went on. “Remember the time he accidentally nearly cut his finger off when he was helping you cook last year? Remember how much blood there was? Declan completely healed from it in two hours and he was right as rain.”

Aunt Susan turned away to quietly cry into her hand which was in a tight fist, pressed against her mouth. Poor Aunt Susan, I felt bad for her. She lost her husband from the European Werewolf attack when she was pregnant with Derik, which turned Declan. Now her eldest in European Werewolf form could have been harmed by humans?

I too was worried, not just for Declan but for the Lokoti Werewolves who were my family members or friends, who took turns patrolling the borders. I know Dad wasn’t rostered on tonight, since he patrolled last night. Two Lokoti Werewolves patrolled at a time, to cover our vast territory. I hoped it wasn’t Grandfather or Uncle Julian’s turn tonight.

I too felt sick with worry, as I sank onto the couch that was opposite Derik and Aunt Susan’s seat.

“This damned war! This damned, damned war…” Aunt Susan sniffed, “…I thought moving up here, would have got us away from the looting and the chaos.”

“Well, it has.” Derik squeezed her shoulder. “I mean, how many times has something like this happened since the whole time we’ve lived here?”

“Declan’s not even 21 years old.” Aunt Susan trembled with emotion. “He may have been patrolling the border since he was 16 years old, but he’s too young for this kind of responsibility and danger!”

I kept my mouth shut, as I recalled the fact that Uncle Julian and Dad began patrolling the borders when they were 16 or 17 years old. They started as soon as they were turned, right after the war. Their Lokoti Werewolf genes were activated from the deaths of their grandfathers, who died in altercations with marauders. Aunt Susan saw my uneasy look and sighing, shook her head at herself.

“I’m sorry B.” She said weakly. “I must sound like an ingrate sitting here and complaining. Your family and the Lokoti people have done a lot for my family. But when you’ve already lost your husband and now something like this happens to your son?”

“Shhh.” Derik pulled her into his arms. “Shhh…Mom, it’ll be alright. It’ll be OK.”

I kept quiet as my legs jiggled nervously. I exchanged a worried look with Derik before we both looked away at the same time.

*****

I contacted Mum on Aunt Susan’s walky-talky to let her know where I was and that I was OK. In return, she told me Dad had rushed out of the house even before the first gun shot was heard, as back up. She used the walky-talky to contact Gran as soon as Dad left, who told her that Grandfather had done the same thing. Aunt Susan’s eyes widened as she and Derik listened in.

“Oh no! Oh no!” Aunt Susan panicked as she cried harder.

“It’s alright, it doesn’t mean anything’s happened to him. It’s standard procedure.” I quickly reassured. “Every time there’s trouble, the whole pack runs to help. Usually when they fight altogether, nothing bad happens.”

Then I sat back down on the couch to wait with them.

*****

One hour stretched to two…two hours stretched to three…the clock on the wall I saw the time was 1.30 AM. My eyes were stinging and I felt cold because I was tired. I curled up on the Sabre’s old, beat-up couch, as the three of us continued to wait it out.

As I waited, I recalled my earlier conversation with Mum and Dad over dinner. I frowned as I remembered what Dad said about the trespassers and poachers. Next, I shuddered as I relived Dad telling me that the baddies hit the woman, who went with her male colleagues to ask the baddies to leave town. I wonder if what was happening tonight because of the same element?

The longer we waited, the worse Aunt Susan’s shaking became. I felt bad seeing her like this since Aunt Susan was usually a strong, independent woman. Her chastisements could even put Declan’s ferocious temper, in its place!

Aunt Susan raised her sons with a loving but iron fist, with the help of my Gran and Grandfather whom Derik and Declan appreciatively called ‘Uncle Em’ and ‘Aunt Arabella’. Sometimes even Mum and Dad helped out with babysitting duty, as Derik and I spent many long hours either building cubby-houses in the woods, or playing games. Grandfather was probably the closest to Declan though, with the amount of time the older Werewolf took the younger Werewolf out hunting to placate Declan’s demanding European Werewolf bloodlust.

Gran once told me that Grandfather felt the most responsible for Declan. I think it’s because of the night the Sabre family arrived on tribal lands. It was Grandfather who shared his blood with the dying Declan, because his mate declared the Sabre’s family. The pack were at first reluctant to have a foreign Werewolf in their midst, as at first they doubted they could train the European Werewolf bloodlust to hunt animal instead of human. But it was through an incredible amount of will power, stubbornness and most of all love; that Grandfather succeeded where everyone thought that he would fail.

Aunt Susan, Gran and Mum all got on like a house on fire, as the three of them would sit together at tribal gatherings and laugh until the cows came home. Aunt Susan was a strict but sometimes funny teacher, who I greatly respected from my school days, as she ran the school with Gran and our tribe’s librarian and record keeper, Mr. Lightfoot. She encouraged Derik and I with our further studies and she always could recommend a good book which would help.

So to see her sit there, shaking like a leaf? This was a new experience seeing her this way. I wished that I could have made it all better for her. I wish I had a better handle of my abilities as a Circulator, so that I could just make all of this somehow go away. Yet Aunt Susan could still surprise me, because although she was in the throws of panic about the safety of her first born? She still noticed how cold I looked.

“Derik, get B a blanket from the linen cupboard, would you?” Aunt Susan suddenly broke the silence.

“No, I’m fine.” I sat up, but Derik was quick to jump to his feet and obey her command.

He smiled warmly as he returned with the blanket to put over my legs, which I appreciated. Derik returned to his place by his mother’s side as they sat, holding hands… but he snuck lots of looks in my direction.

At 2.30 AM Declan hadn’t come home yet nor had the Lokoti Werewolves carried him home.

“I think this is a good sign.” I told Aunt Susan and Derik. “If something had happened to him, they would have brought him home by now.”

Aunt Susan nodded vaguely, but she didn’t look convinced. I noted this as I snuggled under the blanket. Then I rested my head on the arm rest and let myself doze for a little while.

*****

It was still dark when I woke up from hearing the backdoor open in the kitchen. I sat up as I watched Aunt Susan and Derik jump to their feet.

“Declan!” Aunt Susan cried out as she threw her arms about her eldest.

I watched the family reunion through the kitchen doorway. Declan had just pulled on the spare bathrobe which always hung on the back of the kitchen door, when his mother pounced on him.

Declan would pull off the robe just before he changed into his shape of a European Werewolf and then he would put it on again, when he reverted back to human. Unlike the Lokoti Werewolves who could still wear jeans in their humanoid werewolf bodies, when Declan changed his form completely altered. It was because of this, he couldn’t wear any clothes since they were torn apart.

“Declan, is that blood?” Aunt Susan cried out as she pulled back to look on.

I saw his left shoulder had dried blood on it, which was rubbing off onto the white bathrobe.

“Relax Mom, it’s almost completely healed.” Declan sighed.

“What happened?” Derik asked his older brother.

“Those stupid drunks from Alma - that’s what happened!” Declan growled unhappily. “I’m OK, but Jack isn’t.”

Aunt Susan and Derik turned quiet as my stomach sank.

“Is Uncle Jack badly injured?” I asked from the couch.

Declan looked past his family as his eyes settled on my position in a grim look.

“Jack took two bullets to the brain, removing half of his head as another tore through his heart.” He said unhappily. “He didn’t survive.”

My eyes filled with tears as my throat tightened. Uncle Jack… is dead? I mean, Uncle Jack wasn’t literally my Uncle; we used the term ‘Uncle’ as a sign of affectionate respect. Being one of the pack was more than just belonging; Mum once told me that the Lokoti Werewolves were not just empathic with their mates, but also with each other. There was even a rumor that they had limited telepathic ability. It was why Dad would suddenly leave the house and run out the front door with no word where he was going, like what happened tonight.

Declan let go of his brother and mother as he started to walk past where I was sitting, when he stopped to look down.

“I’ll just get some clothes on and I’ll drive you home.” He said flatly.

“No.” I tearfully shook my head. “There’s no need and you’re wounded anyways. I want to walk.”

“I can drive B home.” Derik offered.

“I said I’d do it so I’ll do it!” Declan suddenly said angrily, startling us all. Then he left the lounge room and went into his bedroom to dress.

*****

Neither Declan nor I said a thing, as he drove me home in his old, light blue, pick-up truck. The sky was just starting to lighten with the onset of dawn and I felt cold, tired, hungry and emotional. I tearfully stared out the window for the short trip and couldn’t wait to get home so I could cry openly.

His vehicle chugged up the steep, dirt road as we drove past my families houses before Declan turned into the driveway of Mum and Dad’s. He pulled up in front of my veranda and left the engine running.

Just as I was about to hop out, Declan suddenly put his hand over mine. He squeezed it tightly which made me pause, as my breath caught and my heart began to race… I didn’t look at Declan nor did he look at me.

The warmth of his hand actually began to travel up my arm and magically start to warm me all over, his grip was strong as it was tight. I even began to feel his thumb start to caress my palm, putting butterflies in my stomach. I sat there unmoving, not breathing and not blinking. Neither of us said a thing, leaving an eerie quietness in his truck.

Next, I felt his fingers entwine with mine, making my eyes widen as I stared ahead out of the windscreen. My butterflies grew worse, flying into a flurry; making me tremble when his fingers pressed into my palm and massaged it with his finger tips. His touch was both direct and yet tender.

Unconsciously, I started to squeeze his hand back but then the front door of my house opened and Dad walked out. Automatically Declan pulled back his hand as he still didn’t look my way.

“Go get some sleep.” He said shortly.

Finally I started breathing again, almost hyperventilating when I quickly opened my door and climbed out. I accidentally slammed the door shut, as I walked around the truck and up my veranda steps. Dad gave a nod to Declan, who quickly reversed out of our driveway to drive off back down the hill.

I collapsed into tears in my father’s waiting arms as he squeezed me tightly before leading me inside the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


*Smile* Author notes *Smile*

Thanks so much for reading 'Scent Chapter 1' and I hope you enjoyed. If this has enticed you to read more, click on 'View onaya3's Portfolilo' as I will be posting the first ten chapters here on Writing.Com.

The Circulate Series
Circulate © K.R. Smith, 1st ed. 2005.
ISBN: 978-0-646-53776-4
Scent © K.R. Smith, 2010.
ISBN: 978-0-646-53730-6
Paperback Novels available at: http://stores.lulu.com/onaya3
eBook Novels available at: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/onaya3

Find me on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Circulate-Series-By-KR-Smith/222260061814?ref=ts
© Copyright 2008 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456888-Chapter-1---Scent-Updated