*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456894-Chapter-2---Scent-Updated
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1456894
B And Derik Discuss The Future

4th September 2084

Uncle Jack’s funeral was held in the traditional period of three days after a Lokoti’s death.

Dad drove Mum and I down to the Holy Grounds, by the river just off to the side of the community centre. There, the rest of the tribe had convened where I saw the typical scene of a Lokoti funeral. In the grassy glade before the three Sacred Totem Poles sat a large, rectangular wooden funeral pyre.

The council of nine Tribal Elders which included my Grandpa, were dressed in the traditional Lokoti way. They were wearing old suede clothing with the traditional face paint, of the Lokoti Wolf claw mark going down the side of their faces. Dressed as such, they led the funeral chant to a drum beat.

Uncle Jack’s family stood at the front of the crowd, as everyone stood in a semi-circle about the funeral pyre. Four members of the Lokoti Werewolf pack, carried Uncle Jack’s body up to the pyre on a stretcher made from two branches with a large, leather pelt in the middle. We couldn’t see Uncle Jack’s body though, as it was wrapped in the traditional woven, funeral shroud.

The funeral was held at sunset of the third day of death, because of spiritual reasons. It had to be exactly in this period, to guide the deceased’s spirit into the next life. The funeral ceremony could go for an hour, but the body would burn all night. Then in the morning, the deceased’s ashes were sprinkled into the river.

The river was very important to my people, as it was vast and interconnected to the other major rivers in Alaska. Eventually, it made its way to the Bering Sea and the Pacific Ocean. But the river wasn’t just vital to geography, but it was seen to represent the ongoing nature of life, in relation to our spiritual beliefs.

The Circulate which was once made up of Circulators and Calculators, believe that the time line is the surface of the space time continuum. It’s the part of time that humans can see. Those that have special gifts and have been trained, like Circulators, Calculators or those with ESP, can ‘see’ what was ahead in the time line. Another the Circulate and the Lokoti had in common, was the belief in reincarnation. By sprinkling the deceased’s ashes into the river, it was the metaphor of returning the person’s spirit into the time line so that they can be reborn, further down stream in another era.

I watched the four carefully place the body on top of the pyre. Then Grandpa lit the wood with a fiery torch that he was holding. I looked away when I saw the flames approach the body, before it was completely engulfed in heat. As the body burned, the nine Tribal Elders stood in between the pyre and the three Sacred Totem Poles, continued to sing the Lokoti funeral chant to the beat of the drum.

I couldn’t watch the body catch on fire, I just couldn’t. Even if it was wrapped in the woven funeral shroud, it seriously creeped me out!

As I looked away, my eyes fell upon the people standing up the front of the crowd, just across. To be honest, I wasn’t really looking at the people, but I was staring blankly ahead. I could have been staring at Julius Caesar, with out even noticing it.

Just as my blurred vision started to come into focus, I realized that I was staring at Declan. My worst enemy was staring right back, which gave me a jolt in surprise. I was looking directly into his bright blue eyes which made me feel embarrassed and quickly look away.

Frickin’ hell, if he wasn’t the worst person in the world I could have been staring at? Attila the Hun would have come a close second. But as I had to look away from the pyre again, I found myself looking his way once more.

Declan was still staring my way, or was he glaring? He was wearing his traditional scowl with his hands shoved deep into his jeans pockets, as he stood beside his mother and brother. He didn’t look away either. Declan didn’t seem to care if anybody noticed who or what he was looking at or scowling at, rather.

Isn’t this just great? So far my only two options are to stare at a dead guy on fire, or the rudest boy in the tribe. I gave up on looking at either, as I closed my eyes and turned to bury my face into my father’s arm. I think Dad must have thought I was overwrought with grief, as he next kissed the top of my head and squeezed my hand tighter.

As the Tribal Elders sang, I used this opportunity of self-imposed privacy to think about Uncle Jack.

I remembered when I was little, of Uncle Jack picking me up or occasionally holding me on his lap at tribal gatherings, when he sat with either my parents or my grandparents. I remember him coming to my house a couple of times, to talk about pack business with my father. The two would leave the house and go stand at the end of the driveway to talk privately. Sometimes Uncle Ian as well as Ian’s younger brother Grant, would be with them for these conversations since they were members of the pack too.

I remembered how Uncle Jack was devoted to his wife and family, as all of the Lokoti Werewolves were. Uncle Jack and his wife were something like 70 years old; but because he was a Werewolf he aged slower than his human mate. It looked kind of funny seeing them together about the community, or at tribal functions, at how this man who appeared in his forties held hands with an elderly woman, or even when they kissed. As was customary with Lokoti Werewolves and their ‘mate for life’ policy; they in no way looked on their wives with any less love. When their wives died of old age before them, they mourned them deeply. It became the custom that Lokoti Werewolves didn’t take another mate after the death of their first.

I opened my eyes again to look on the elderly Aunt Meg who was being comforted by her grown children. Poor Aunt Meg, I guess she and Uncle Jack had always expected that he would outlive her with his supernaturally long life expectancy.

As I looked on Uncle Jack’s surviving family, I started to realize something else… Uncle Jack’s eldest child was a son as was customary for Lokoti Werewolves. What was usually the way, the eldest son’s Lokoti Werewolf gene would be activated upon the death of their father or grandfather or sometimes even an uncle. But the typical age bracket for a change to take place was between 10 – 25 years old. Uncle Jack’s son was 30 years old, so he was too old for the change and his son was 9 years old which was too young.

Hmmm…I wondered who else could be activated instead? I guess I’d find out on the next full moon, when a human male changed to take the place as the fifteenth member of the pack. As my eyes started to scan the other male members of the tribe between 10 – 25 years old…my gaze met Declan’s once more.

Declan was still glaring at me for some strange reason. It was seriously starting to make me feel VERY uncomfortable.

I shot a scowl back his way, before I looked away for the last time. I concentrated on staring at the tips of the flames, as they danced in the early evening sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7th September 2084

Last night I went with Mum and Dad to dinner at Gran, Grandfather’s and Great Grandma’s house.

They lived in the old Riverclaw family home which looked like a huge log cabin. Uncle Julian lived with Aunt Danika and their children in another house built at the bottom of the hill. Mum, Dad and I lived in a house which had been in Dad’s family for several generations. All four of our houses along with Grandpa and Nana who were Dad’s parents, were all situated on the same road on the forest encrusted hill.

Their house was just slightly down from ours and was a seven minute walk. But with Dad and his Lokoti Werewolf over-protectiveness, we still ended up driving there for a whole two minutes, including the time it took to reverse out of our driveway and into theirs. It was 6 PM when we left home and 6.02 when we pulled into Gran, Grandfather’s and Great Grandma’s driveway.

As we pulled up, we saw Uncle Julian’s four-wheel-drive before us in the driveway which meant he, Aunt Danika and my cousins Phoenix and Phoebe were here. When we went inside, I also found Grandpa and Nana were here too.

“B!” Nana and Grandpa were the first to greet. I rushed into their awaiting open arms and received numerous kisses.

“B!” Nana cupped my face as she examined me closely. “You’re looking taller every day! You’re even bigger than me now!”

I smiled in good humor on my slightly shorter, Chinese-American Nana when next Grandpa distracted me by pulling me into another embrace.

“Bianca Grace, I swear you are looking a little taller and since I’m the tribe’s Medicine Man my diagnosis is usually right.” My Lokoti Grandpa affectionately messed up my hair.

“Grandpa!” I complained as I pulled away from his roughing-up.

“Fern, stop it!” Nana joking chastised. “Don’t you know that hair is very important to a young woman?”

“My bad.” Grandpa smiled in good humor. “Sorry Ling.” He apologized to his mate. “Sorry B.” he tweaked my nose.

I giggled back as I was next pulled away from Grandpa’s arms and into my Uncle Julian’s.

“B!” Uncle Jules boomed. “You little heart-breaker! What’s this rumor I heard that you and Derik Sabre are engaged?”

Uncle Julian was doing his typical ribbing, but Mum and Dad didn’t look like they appreciated that particular joke.

“Shut up Uncle Julian!” I poked him in the side.

“Give her a break, Jules!” Mum glared at her twin brother. “She’s not even 18 years old!”

“But that didn’t stop Hunter.” Uncle Julian laughed as he next nudged my father.

As Dad threw him a warning look, I was pulled into my fourth embrace so far when Aunt Danika came forward. Aunt Danika was also English and she had pale skin, brown eyes and dark brown wavy hair. She and Mum were actually third cousins. I guess that was the type-set for my family, we either had blue eyes or brown.

“B!” Aunt Danika kissed both of my cheeks in the French style as her Great Grandmother had been French as well as a telepath.

It was thanks to her Great Grandmother that she was bi-lingual as well as a mind-reader. Her French Great Grandmother Belle Dupont met my Great Great Grandmother, Elisha Worthall when she researched ESP for SSIT. Then Belle married Xavier Bell, Elisha’s work associate that ran SSIT with her – Supernatural Scientific Investigative Team. Ironically, their daughter married Elisha’s son, Bastian Worthall.

Belle Dupont had more in common with Elisha than marriage, as she did with the Lokoti Werewolves; all of their supernatural abilities were carried on genetically. Now with Aunt Danika being married to my Uncle Julian – a Lokoti Werewolf – their daughter was a mind-reader like her mother was and their son could be destined to join the Lokoti Werewolf pack.

“Bonjour Aunt Danika.” I greeted.

“Bonjour madamemoiselle Bianca.” She returned. “Comment allez-vous?”

“Bien.” I managed to remember the reply.

My 12 year old cousin Phoebe next looked up from her drawings as she sat at Gran and Grandfather’s dining table.

“Salut!” she gave a little wave.

“Bonjour petite belle.” I walked forwards to give her an affectionate kiss on top of her head.

I hope I just said, ‘hello little beauty’ otherwise I could be in trouble… but as I saw Aunt Danika next fall into a catch-up with my Mum? I assumed I was in the all-clear.

“Hi bitch-features.” Phoenix said casually as he didn’t look up from doing his homework he had brought with him.

Ah yes… Phoenix was Phoebe’s 14 year old brother. Our relationship was an affectionate enmity which was very similar to sibling rivalry. If I had been standing any closer I would have whacked him and given him ‘what for’ with his use of language. But then I didn’t have to…

“Phoenix!” Grandfather growled at his grandson as he came out of the kitchen to lightly punch him on the arm as a warning.

“Oow!” Phoenix instantly complained as he rubbed the spot where Grandfather’s fist had landed.

“Grandfather.” I smiled as I walked into yet another embrace.

“B.” Grandfather squeezed me affectionately. “How are you?”

“Good thanks.” I answered before I pulled away to walk into one last affectionate hug.

“B.” Gran rubbed my back as she held me firmly. “How is the ‘Last Circulator’ going?”

“I still can’t phase.” I sighed with resignation before I looked on defeated. “I swear it just isn’t gonna happen Gran.”

“Of course it’s going to happen.” She spoke with her English accent which could sound very crisp sometimes. “You’re the ‘Last Circulator’. You certainly wouldn’t be called that if you couldn’t very well circulate, would you?”

It was thanks to our international ties that we were just some of the few families here in the Tribe to call our mother’s ‘Mum’ instead of the American custom, ‘Mom’. Gran’s English accent remained constant, but sometimes she could slip into using Australian slang as her Grandmother, Elisha Baker had been Australian. Elisha had married the English Jarrod Worthall, who had been the Lord of Blythe Castle.

“Mom, B’s here.” Grandfather turned his head to speak to Great Grandma who was busy cooking in the kitchen.

Great Grandma now came out of her domain to give me a smile and a kiss on the cheek before doing the same to Mum and Dad. Great Grandma didn’t talk much as she was one of these old-fashioned types that never complained. She just did what had to be done and she knew what her strength was, her wonderful cooking. Great Grandma’s recipes were renown through out our tribe… especially her gravy recipe.

My Great Grandma was full-blooded Lokoti. Her deceased husband had been a Lokoti Werewolf who had died in saving his son’s life, Grandfather when he was a boy. Great Grandfather apparently died by being run over by a Logging Truck which from the size of the vehicle, not even a supernatural creature such as the Lokoti Werewolf could survive. It was after his demise that Grandfather turned into a Lokoti Werewolf and took his father’s place among the pack. It was also because of this that Grandfather and his mother were close. When Gran and Grandfather married, Gran simply moved in with Grandfather and Great Grandma as she joined their family who welcomed her with open-arms.

As Great Grandma was greeting my parents, I looked past my grandparents who were standing in the kitchen entranceway; at the food that was in mid-preparation sitting on top of the kitchen bench.

“What’s for dinner?” I asked.

“Roast caribou and roast vegetables.” Grandfather answered.

“And Great Grandma’s special gravy?” I asked hopeful.

“Of course.” Grandfather smiled with a twinkle in his eye.

Then I stood back to let Gran and Grandfather walk up to greet my parents. Grandfather kissed his daughter on the cheek but then I noticed that when he shook Dad by the hand, he mouthed the words; “we need to talk.”

Dad looked from Grandfather to Uncle Julian and then to Grandpa, as he immediately guessed it was about ‘Werewolf business’ and he nodded.

“Excuse us.” Grandfather now turned to the rest of the busy chattering room. “We just have to duck outside for a moment but we’ll be right back.”

Grandfather then led the way with Grandpa walking a close second and then Dad and Uncle Julian behind, as they departed via the front door. I noticed that Gran, Nana, Aunt Danika, Mum or Great Grandma didn’t look surprised by their sudden exit.

Once they were gone I next caught Aunt Danika say to Mum, Gran and Nana as she could read the men’s minds; “It’s about Jack’s death and the bad element in Alma.”

“I thought so.” Mum frowned. “Hunter said that the Tribal Elders had been considering the town’s representatives request to move the ‘bad element’ on.”

“I guess Jack’s death only confirmed their decision.” Gran sighed.

Great Grandma next re-directed the conversation to protect the Werewolves private talk.

“Arabella?” my elderly Lokoti Great Grandma looked on my youthful English Gran. “Can you please check on the bread rolls in the oven? Danika, can you please help me shell the peas? Jess, you can cut up the pumpkin.”

“And me, Clara?” Nana stepped forward to volunteer her services.

“Ling, can you please peel the potatoes?” Great Grandma requested.

I next moved out of the way as all of the older women streamed into the kitchen to busy themselves with matters other than worrying about their husbands playing law keepers.

“Ha ha!” Phoenix teased. “Women belong in the kitchen!”

“Phoenix!” Aunt Danika barked at her son. “You can set the table thank you very much!”

“D’oh!” Phoenix complained ‘Homer Simpson’ style.

“Ha ha!” I pointed at him next.

Since Phoebe had to tidy up her colouring in so Phoenix could set the table for dinner, I took Phoebe outside to sit on the veranda steps with me. I also took her with me as I had a secret agenda and Phoebe knew this, but she was well-used to me ‘borrowing’ her telepathic abilities now and then.

We sat down to look out at the woods that surrounded the house. We pretended to talk about something else when really we were eavesdropping. Grandfather, Grandpa, Dad and Uncle Julian were standing at the end of the driveway and talking quietly, well outside our hearing range. Phoebe and I deliberately didn’t look their way as we whispered.

“So, what’s up?” I prompted my little cousin.

Phoebe frowned as she stared at a particular tree across the way, “they’re talking about fighting.”

“Fighting the bad element in Alma?” I queried as I too stared at a particular tree.

“Uh huh.”

“When is this going to be done?”

“Soon… They had been planning to wait until the next full moon when a new person is turned into a Werewolf to make the fifteenth member of their pack? But they decided that they can’t wait that long.” Phoebe whispered.

“Do they know who’s going to be activated to become one of the pack?”

She shook her head. “They don’t know for sure but they think it’s gonna be Uncle Ian’s son, Leaf.”

“It makes sense.” I thought out loud. “Leaf would be the right age.”

Just then she added on, “oh, they already removed half of the bad element the night that Uncle Jack died. Now they’re planning on removing the rest.”

“OK.” I purposefully kept my eyes off from Dad. “How many bad people are they going to be sending away?”

“Um…” Phoebe frowned, “…I don’t know. They’re not thinking specific numbers.”

Suddenly we were interrupted by Aunt Danika walking out of the front door and throwing us a warning look.

“Phoebe,” she started, “what did I tell you about eavesdropping on deliberately private conversations?”

“I’m sorry Mummy but B asked me to.” Phoebe pouted.

Aunt Danika next held open the door and motioned us to come back inside. Before I disappeared back into the house, I looked back over at Dad standing in the distance. I saw him frown when he saw what Aunt Danika was doing. Frickin’ hell, I’m probably in for a ‘what for’ now!

A couple of minutes later Dad, Grandpa, Grandfather and Uncle Julian returned to the house. As Grandfather went into the kitchen to help his wife and mother with the cooking; Dad walked over to where I was sitting on the couch with Phoebe and he didn’t look happy.

“You and I are going to have a conversation when we get home, at how it’s not only rude to eavesdrop but how it can be for safety reasons as well.” He said gruffly.

Then I watched him move away and go and stand with Grandpa and Nana.

“Frickin’ hell.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m gonna get it now.”

“Yeah well, at least you’re older than I am.” Phoebe said annoyed. “You’re old enough to leave home if you wanted to. I’m gonna get it much worse than you.”

Hmm… leave home? That notion reminded me of what I had wanted to discuss with my family tonight. I wondered what the reaction would be to the idea of me going away to study History at Cambridge University? Would my parents or my grandparents object?

Just then Phoebe’s mouth fell open as she stared at me in surprise, having just read my thoughts.

“Shhh!” I hissed at her. “I’ll ask them over dinner so don’t say a thing!”

“Oh, now you want me to be quiet?!” she stood up in a huff before she flounced off to go and be picked up by her father.

Uncle Jules readily did as he next put her on his back whilst he talked to Aunt Danika, Mum, Dad and my other grandparents.

I’ll give it to Phoebe, even though she was probably in just as much trouble as I was over the ‘eavesdropping’ thing? She could certainly work the room. She was cute and she knew it and all she had to do was give her father or Grandfather a certain kind of look and they would scoop her up into their arms whether they were angry or not.

Twenty minutes later, everyone sat down to a set table that was laden with food. A huge haunch of roast caribou sat at the head of the table as several dishes followed, full of home-grown vegetables or bread rolls and of course, there were two large gravy boats for Great Grandma’s special gravy.

Grandfather sat at the head of the table with Great Grandma sitting on the other end and the rest of us sat in between. As Grandfather busied himself with carving up the meat, we all took turns to serving ourselves with vegetables or bread rolls. I broke open my roll and I next reached for the butter when I soon found, Phoebe wasn’t just good at divulging people’s secrets to me but she was also good with sharing out my secrets too.

“Where’s Cambridge University?” Phoebe asked her father.

“Cambridge University?” Uncle Julian echoed. “Well it’s in Cambridge, in England.”

“Hence the name, Cambridge University.” Phoenix snickered.

“It’s where many of your ancestors studied.” Grandfather explained. “Like Elisha Worthall, Xavier Bell as well as Jarrod and Bastian Worthall.”

“Oh.” Phoebe pondered on his words as she next looked my way.

Then everyone else looked my way too, suspecting that she asked this question as it was on my mind instead.

“Thanks Phoebe.” I rolled my eyes before I slightly changed the subject, “Mandy told me and then I saw it for myself on the internet today that Cambridge University is open again.”

“Yeah, Mum told me last week that Oxford has re-opened too.” Aunt Danika added on. “As has Kings and a few other of the old private schools and colleges in the UK.”

“Why are you asking about Cambridge, B?” Gran asked.

“Didn’t you go to Cambridge, Gran?”

“No, I did my Environmental Economics degree at the University of London.” She answered. “Why? Are you thinking of doing a degree?”

Now was my moment…I looked from Gran to Mum as I announced, “I’m wondering what it would be like to study History at Cambridge.”

Suddenly Grandfather dropped his carving knife which clattered loudly onto the table as he, Uncle Julian, Dad and Grandpa looked my way in alarm.

“I think that’s a wonderful idea!” Mum said brightly. “I always wanted to study Literature at a place like Cambridge but I couldn’t because it was too soon after the War.”

“It still IS too soon after the War!” Dad said indignantly.

“No it’s not.” Mum disagreed.

“Yes it is.” Uncle Julian agreed with Dad.

“No Julian, it’s not.” Mum glared at her brother.

“Yes it is, Jess.” Grandpa said seriously.

Mum looked in surprise at Grandpa to Uncle Jules and then to Dad whom she next asked, “why is it too soon?”

“Come off it Jess!” Dad sounded annoyed. “Eighteen years ago you took us to Blythe Castle in England to scare off looters from attacking your English family! Now you’re going to let our daughter leave home to go and live there?”

“It’s not safe.” Grandpa frowned.

“But the Worthall’s haven’t had problems with looters for years.” Mum tried as she next looked at her English cousin, Aunt Danika. “It’s safe now, isn’t it Danika?”

“It’s safer than what it used to be.” Aunt Danika shrugged. “When I talked to Mum last month she said that since the re-instatement of the police force; crime has really cut back.”

“Sweetie.” Uncle Jules next turned to his wife, “we don’t think it’s a good idea that B leaves tribal lands.”

“But why?!” Mum cried out in frustration.

“Because Jack was killed by the rough element in Alma, the same kind of people who would exist in England.” Grandfather said unhappily. “The same rough element who would see a healthy young woman who is unaffected by sickness or starvation and try to claim her like they have tried to claim Alma or other lawless towns about this planet.”

Mum’s face fell as she deflated at Grandfather’s words.

“It doesn’t mean that B can’t study.” Dad was quick to put his hand on her shoulder. “She can study while living here.”

“Yeah I mean, if Cambridge University has opened up then surely it or other universities would, have courses people can do via correspondence.” Uncle Julian shrugged.

But Mum wasn’t going to be dissuaded that easily and she kept up the fight.

“B.” she looked my way. “What did it say about safety and security at Cambridge University? I mean if students are going to live there as well as study there, what did it say about that?”

“That half of the Colleges at Cambridge like Holy Spirit College which are open again, have extra security in their dormitories… like state of the art security alarms and locks.” I recited from memory. “And the University has security guards walking around campus 24 hours a day.”

“Oh yeah, I feel better now.” Dad said sarcastically. “I’m really going to be able to sleep well, knowing that a security alarm is able to fight off attackers for my daughter.”

“So far the crime rate in Cambridge is keeping down.” I told Dad. “I mean if it wasn’t then I doubt that the University would have opened again.”

“Nor would it be attracting any students that were afraid for their lives.” Mum glared at Dad.

“I could ask my Mum when I talk to her tomorrow night via the Tribal Elder’s satellite video-phone about the safety of Cambridge.” Aunt Danika offered.

“No.” Dad put his foot down. “If B is going to study History at Cambridge University then it’s going to be done via correspondence!”

“No!” Mum fired up. “B is a free young woman, who can’t be chained to a kitchen sink or tied to her parent’s apron strings! She’s nearly 18 years old! She’s intelligent and she’s good at studying. If she wants to go to University then she’ll go to University!”

“Jess!” Dad growled at Mum.

“Hunter!” Mum growled back at Dad.

Frickin’ hell, my parents were fuming at each other! I’ve seen Mum fire up at Dad plenty of times and usually he could calm her down or use jokes to diffuse the situation… but not today.

As all of this went on, I noticed that Great Grandma remained silent as she usually did. She calmly continued to serve herself and then she patiently waited for Grandfather to finish carving up the meat.

“It’s not safe Jess!” Dad said adamantly.

“How would you know if it’s safe or not in Cambridge?” Mum crossed her arms.

“Because I’ve patrolled these lands for the past twenty one years since the War and I’ve battled what’s on the outside trying to get in!” Dad said vehemently. “And you should remember what is trying to get in, Jess! You should remember very clearly what nearly happened to you nineteen years ago!”

“THAT was nineteen years ago!” Mum shot back. “So what now, Hunter? Is my daughter now going to be victimized because of what happened in the past? I’m not going to let her turn into a prisoner!”

“Um, guys?” Uncle Julian put up his hand. “Besides safety being the main issue here… how about money?”

“Money?” Mum echoed. “What money?”

“Exactly.” Grandpa said pointedly. “What money? What money can be found to pay for Cambridge University?”

Nana now looked sad over this topic, “I had a savings account before the War that had a couple of thousand in it which I inherited when my grandparents died. I was saving it for Hunter’s future.” She passed Dad a rueful look. “It could have even be used for B. But with the collapse of the economy after the war and the bank going bankrupt? I think everyone’s in the same boat.”

“Money wouldn’t be a problem.” Gran said simply.

Everyone but Grandfather looked on her in surprise.

“Why won’t it be a problem, Mum?” Uncle Jules queried.

“There’s one particular multi-national corporation that survived the collapse of the world’s economy and it’s under Circulate control.” Gran began.

“Hodge Endeavor?” Grandfather guessed.

“Hodge Endeavor.” Gran confirmed.

“Hodge Endeavor!” Mum’s face lit up. “Of course! When ever I fetch Vincent from Circulate HQ on Mars, to Blythe to stay with the Worthall’s? He says he sends commands to the company. Vincent says he’s even sat in a couple of the board meetings in London!”

Dad moaned as he rubbed his face hard with the both of his hands, as a sign of frustration.

“So if B wants to go to University in Cambridge or study at any other University, then it won’t be finances stopping her.” Gran passed a smile my way.

I grinned back as I allowed myself to feel hope. Grandfather sighed loudly as he knew my Gran long enough by now, despite their deceptively young appearance? To know that once Gran’s mind was made up there was no changing it.

“But can we please make sure that Cambridge University is safe first?” Grandfather tried.

“Of course. I’ll ask Mum tomorrow and I’ll get back to you immediately.” Aunt Danika promised.

Phoebe looked from her mother to her grandmother who was sitting directly on the right from her grandfather.

“Can I go to Cambridge too?” she asked brightly.

“Of course you can sweetheart.” Gran stated. “When you’re 18 years old and you want to study a degree too? Then we’ll support you with whatever decision you make.”

Now Uncle Julian let out a loud groan, “thanks B, thanks Jess and thanks Mum.” He said sarcastically. “I think you’ve just doubled the work load for the Lokoti Werewolves as now we won’t just be patrolling Lokoti land? But we’ll also be patrolling Cambridge University as well.”

I accidentally let out a snicker as I briefly pictured my topless and changed Werewolf relations, stalking across the University campus at night. Then so did Phoebe as she saw what I was imagining.

“What is with the men in this family?!” Mum snapped. “Why do you think it’s only the Werewolves that can protect my daughter? Has everybody forgotten that they also have two Circulators in the family with a silver sword each and the access to advanced weaponry?”

Again Dad moaned as he rubbed his face hard with both of his hands… Again Uncle Julian groaned… Grandfather and Grandpa remained quiet as they wore grave expressions.

“Oh great, this just keeps getting better and better.” Uncle Julian shook his head. “Now it’s not just B and Phoebe who will need protection off tribal lands but it’s my sister and mother too!”

“I don’t need your protection! I can kick your butt!” Mum turned on him. “I can fight more men than you can without supernatural strength or teeth or claws!”

“Oh we can see that Jess.” Uncle Julian smirked. “After all, we see you do it every day to poor Hunter.”

Just then Dad burst out laughing at that, as did Grandpa, Grandfather and then the rest of the adults at the table.

“Shut up Julian.” Mum smirked as she picked up her bread roll to throw it at his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9th September 2084

I waited to cross the road as a familiar black jeep drove past. Behind the wheel, Grant Elm gave a friendly wave and I was quick to return it.

Grant Elm is a nice guy. He was one of the few 28 year old men in this tribe who were still unmarried. Since he was an old family friend, he even babysat me once when Mum and Dad went to Australia for a night with Gran and Grandfather to visit our Australian relatives.

Grant was also one of the pack and I think he changed after the death of his father Uncle Yule, who died fighting the European Werewolf that changed Declan. Grant was 10 years old when Dad helped Uncle Ian train Grant’s bloodust and induct him into the pack. Grant had the Elm family sense of humor, but as Uncle Ian was loud and boisterous, Grant was more of the polite type.

Once his jeep was well away, I crossed the quiet road as there was no further sign of traffic. I walked up Derik’s driveway and up to his front door. I rang the doorbell, but nothing happened.

Yep, it’s still busted. So instead I raised my hand and I was just about to knock loudly…when all of a sudden the door swung open. Declan stood there, looking on unimpressed. I guess he heard me with his Werewolf hearing?

“Oh, it’s you.” he said flatly.

“Hi Declan.” I rolled my eyes as I pushed my way past him.

“Please, come in.” he said sarcastically, slamming the door shut behind.

I walked in through their small entranceway as I looked through their lounge – slash – dining room and I couldn’t see Derik. So I turned down the small hallway and walked towards his closed bedroom door.

“Help yourself.” Declan muttered, watching me go.

I ignored him as I walked up to Derik’s door to knock loudly. I could hear loud grunge music playing loudly on the other side, which instantly turned down before the door opened.

“B!” Derik’s eyes immediately lit up when he saw me. “Hi!”

“Hey Derik.” I smiled back as I walked into his bedroom when he opened his door wider to let me through.

I could feel Declan’s frown as he watched me go into his little brother’s room. Derik immediately shut his door behind me to ensure our privacy as I went and sat on his bed. I pulled out my laptop from my bag as soon as I was seated.

“I have to show you.” I smiled, as he moved to sit on his bed beside.

I rested my computer on my lap after dropping my bag. I instantly turned it on and opened up the wireless connection to the internet. I went to my ‘Favourites’ and selected the Cambridge University website as Derik looked over my shoulder, interested.

“Mandy was right.” I told him excitedly. “Cambridge is open again and has been for a couple of years now. We can apply if we wanted to!”

“Really?” his eyes widened.

“And check this out,” I went to the History Department’s page. “I’ve checked out the entry requirements and with the War, not many people have a High School Diploma anymore. But they’re accepting copies of the applicant’s academic work like essays and stuff with the application papers to review them case by case!”

“Oh my God…” he looked impressed, “…that’s ah, that’s something.”

“We could apply together!” I gushed. “We could even start studying there next year!”

“Um, B?” he next pointed out something about the application process. “It says here the University currently doesn’t have any scholarship programs, that they only accept cash upfront. Um, we don’t have any money.”

I looked at him in surprise, knowing that he was talking about his family specifically. “Derik, money doesn’t matter.”

“It doesn’t?” Derik gave me a funny look.

“No. Derik, you’re a Sabre.”

“And?” he waited for me to continue.

“You’re apart of the Circulate too.”

“Er, what does that mean?”

I tried not to shake my head impatiently, “it means that your Great Great Grand Uncle Mike Sabre was a Circulator. He was a member of the Circulate. The Circulate has access to Hodge Endeavor funds!”

“Who’s Hodge Endeavor?”

I huffed as I went to my ‘Favourites’ again and I next opened the homepage for the large, multi-national company. Then I had to smile at Derik’s gaping as he read about the corporation.

“How the hell do I have access to that company’s money?” he asked in disbelief.

“The Circulate controls Hodge Endeavor!” I punched him on the shoulder as if he should have known this. “You’re apart of the Circulate, just like I am! I mean, you’re not a Circulator or a Calculator or anything. But your Great Great Grand Uncle, Mike Sabre, who was a Circulator? He sent your family here to live with us. He’s apart of the Circulate. This means that you’re still apart of the Circulate. Hodge Endeavor will pay for our education!”

“It will?” Derik looked on, amazed.

“Sh-yeah!” I punched him on the arm again.

“Oow!” he laughed. “That hurt!” he punched me on the arm back.

We laughed as we almost began a playfight, with the two of us whacking each other. But suddenly there was a knock on his door and Derik immediately jumped up from the bed as he walked over to answer it. When he opened the door, I found his Mum, Aunt Susan standing there.

“Hi B!” she customarily smiled warmly.

“Hi Aunt Susan.” I smiled and gave a little wave.

“I thought I heard your voice.” She walked into Derik’s bedroom. “How are you?”

“I’m good, thanks.” I nodded.

“How are your parents?”

“Good thanks.”

“How is your Great Grandma?” she asked next, smoothing back her graying blonde hair as her blue eyes sparkled.

“Good thanks.” I nodded.

Aunt Susan didn’t have to ask about my Gran or Grandfather, as she and Gran both ran the school along with the librarian, Mr. Lightfoot. Thanks to this, she saw my grandparents on a regular basis. Grandfather may not have taught in a classroom, but in the summer months, he wasn’t adverse to taking the younger members of the tribe on nature walks through the National Park.

I liked Aunt Susan. Declan looked more like her with his dark blonde hair and his blue eyes, whereas Derik had brown hair and dark brown eyes, inherited from his late father. As Declan physically resembled his mother, Derik resembled her academically.

Aunt Susan next looked at her watch before she looked back at me, “you’ll stay for dinner, won’t you B? It’s getting close to that time.”

“Um…” I frowned, as my parents were expecting me home.

“There’s tiramisu for dessert.” She taunted.

“I’m in!” I said quickly.

She and Derik laughed at how quickly I snapped at her bait.

“Dinner will be ready in thirty minutes.” Aunt Susan announced before she left his bedroom.

“Thanks Mom.” Derik saw her out, as he closed his door behind her to give us privacy again.

“Why didn’t you tell her?” I gave him a funny look.

“I’ll tell her and Declan over dinner.” He shrugged, before coming to sit beside me again. He looked momentarily at the website for Hodge Endeavor before he looked back my way. “So, how is this big corporation going to give me money again?”

“Gran is in contact with them.” I explained. “Gran has always remained in contact with the company. She even has a special liaison that sees to any of her requests, kinda like a PA or something.”

“She does?” Derik blanched at the idea.

“Gran will tell the liaison about you.” I shrugged casually. “The liaison will sort out both of our course fees.”

“You’re kidding.” He said in surprise.

“No.” I shook my head.

“Just like that?” he marveled.

“Basically.” I shrugged again. “But we may both have to write formal letters with our applications, like a cover sheet for all our past assignments, explaining why we want to study at Cambridge.”

“What courses can we do?” Derik angled my laptop closer towards him.

“I’m going to do Ancient History.” I said gleefully. “What are you going to do? Science?”

“Um.” He hesitated before he answered. “I’d be interested in studying Medicine.”

“Medicine?” I echoed in surprise.

“Well, yeah.” he shrugged. “I’ve been thinking about it for a while now.”

I looked on him, almost in shock as Derik is my best friend and I never knew this!

“Why didn’t you say anything before?” I whacked him on the arm again.

He laughed as he rubbed the sore spot. “Um well, I was going to tell you soon. Grandpa Wisetail said he would take me on as his apprentice and our tribe could have two Medicine Men. But if I could do an Undergrad course in Medicine first, I would be stoked!”

As I watched his reaction, I started to piece it all together. Derik was always particular to Biology in all of the sciences, as well as Chemistry. I recalled seeing Derik talking to Grandpa in private quite a few times at tribal gatherings or family dinners at either my place or Gran and Grandpa’s. Grandpa has even lent Derik a couple of medical books upon occasion.

“I mean, if I were a Medicine Man, I wouldn’t have to worry about doing a Masters or PhD after my Undergraduates course; as I wouldn’t be practicing anywhere else but here. But Grandpa Wisetail would approve if I did an Undergraduate’s course in Medicine before I became his apprentice.” Derik went on.

I looked on impressed, “Derik that would be awesome!”

“Thanks.” He chuckled. Then he looked at my computer for a moment before he looked back my way. “So this Hodge Endeavor would really pay for me?”

“Sure.” I gave a nod. “Remember, you’re a Sabre. You’re related to the Circulator Mike Sabre. Mike sent you all to live here on Lokoti lands with us, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hodge Endeavor already knew about you guys. I’m sure all my Gran would have to say, ‘Mike Sabre’s family needs this’ and they would open up the company vault immediately.”

“Yeah, right!” he snickered, before he next looked on with this funny expression on his face. “You and I could actually live at Cambridge together?”

“Yeah.” I smiled. “Cool, isn’t it? Even though we’ll be on the other side of the world? We’ll still be best friends and still together.”

Derik looked downwards as he picked up my hand in his. “B, I’ve seen you more than just a friend for two years now.” He said solemnly.

I felt my face start to warm up as I nervously glanced away. I still felt awkward when he talked like this, or looked at me that way. I mean, Derik is my best friend. It’s still hard to think of him romantically other than ‘friend’ or even sometimes, ‘brother’ which really made me feel awkward.

Derik lifted up the computer from my lap to put aside so he could have all of my attention. However my eyes remained downcast, as he moved in closer and then he gently cupped my face to lift it up slightly. Derik gently pressed his lips against mine as I forced myself to remain still, even though I wanted to pull back. I mean, I kissed him when he walked me home from Ben’s party. I kissed him before, down at the river that afternoon as each other’s first kiss, just to see what it would be like.

I loved Derik, just not in the same way he evidently felt for me. If I push him away, I could lose the best friend that I’ve had my whole life. I didn’t want to lose him, so I guess I would have to put up with this kissing nonsense now and then. I guess it wasn’t that bad… at least he hasn’t tried anything else.

I’ve heard that one or two of the girls my age in the tribe, have even had sex before! I suppose I should feel lucky that Derik hasn’t suggested THAT yet. But then I wondered if I spoke too soon, as he used his lips to part my lips to push his tongue into my mouth! I almost shuddered as I really wanted to stop now…

I tried to move away, but Derik must have thought I was just making myself comfortable or something. He started to push me backwards onto his bed! Oh oh…I quickly turned my face away, when he next started to kiss my neck! Frickin’ hell, now what do I do?

Just then there was a loud knock on the door and Declan’s voice suddenly boomed out, “hey, pipsqueaks!” Declan had knocked once and then he walked into Derik’s room!

“DECLAN!” Derik yelled at his older brother as he quickly released my waist.

I jumped up from the bed embarrassed! Practically in light speed, I leapt to my feet, with my face burning bright red.

“Dinner’s ready.” Declan gave Derik and I a steely-glare, before he turned around and walked out again.

Has it been half an hour already? I had lost my appetite, but I was the first to walk out of Derik’s room as I went straight into his family’s bathroom and I shut the door behind.

Frickin’ hell, I wish Declan hadn’t sprung us like that… the worst person in the world who could have seen that and it would be him.

I used their sink to wash my hands as I suddenly felt really unhygienic. I even washed my face and my neck where Derik had been kissing. Then I dried off using the hand towel before I took a deep breath and I opened the bathroom door again.

When I walked out to the dining table, I saw Declan was sitting on one side of the table glaring at Derik and Derik was sitting on the other, glaring back. Aunt Susan sat at the head of the table as the matriarch of the family. I sat at the place setting beside Derik, where my plate of spaghetti bolognaise was waiting.

Derik and Aunt Susan hadn’t started eating yet, as they were waiting for me but Declan was already shoveling the food into his mouth.

“Declan.” Aunt Susan glared at her eldest. “It’s polite to wait until everybody is seated before we begin our meals.”

Declan threw his mother a tired look, but he dropped his fork and sat back into his seat as he chewed on his mouthful.

Er, I was sitting down now so can’t he eat? Aunt Susan smiled at Derik and I and then she picked up her cutlery which prompted Derik and I to follow suit. Declan glared my way next, as he picked up his fork and he continued on feeding his face, almost not even stopping for air!

As Aunt Susan, Derik and I politely started to cut up the spaghetti, Declan was merely swiveling his fork through it, picking up a huge amount and shoveling it into his oversized mouth. I looked on him in disgust… and Mandy finds THAT attractive? Declan noticed my unimpressed look as he raised his eyebrows. I shook my head as I looked down at my plate.

“B’s got a point, Declan.” Aunt Susan commented.

“Oh yeah, like B’s the picture of politeness and morality in this tribe.” Declan sneered.

Derik dropped his cutlery loudly onto his plate as his objection as he sent his older brother the look of death.

I quickly changed the subject. “Aunt Susan, do you still make your own pasta? I noticed that the Store never has any…”

“Ah, yes I do B.” Aunt Susan answered. “Speaking of which, I’ve got some extra lasagna sheets you can take home to your mother. She told me that she wanted to try making lasagna soon.”

“Cool.” I gave a nod.

“Your Mom said your Gran has an old family recipe of lasagna. But when she was telling me about the method and the ingredients, I didn’t think there was enough cheese in it. Now, I know we can’t get any parmesan cheese around here, as the only cheese that this tribe makes is tasty. However I recommend to you to insist on putting extra cheese into the béchamel sauce as well as on the top of the dish.” Aunt Susan instructed.

“OK.” I nodded. Then I was quiet for a minute or two as I thought on how Aunt Susan and Great Grandma were alike. “You know, you and Great Grandma are the only two women I know who has a list of old family recipes. I mean, Gran has the recipe for lasagna and toss salad dressing from her Australian family, but that’s it. I don’t think the Worthall’s passed down any recipes to Gran, as before the War the family had Housekeepers or Cooks and chose from different menus.”

“Cooking is important in many Italian families.” Aunt Susan pronounced. “When my family as well as the Sabre family left Italy after World War Two, they brought the recipes with them. In the old culture, cooking was an important family event as well as social ritual.”

“Mom told me that in the old days, they would let the bolognaise sauce stew all day, whilst they made the pasta by hand.” Derik turned my way.

“Really?” I looked at Aunt Susan in surprise.

“It’s true.” She verified, then she smiled on Derik and Declan. “Derik isn’t really interested in that part of his heritage, but Declan’s got a gift for it. Declan and I can sit at this table for hours, making spaghetti, lasagna sheets or pasta shells.”

“Declan?” I looked on the great oaf sitting across from me in total surprise.

“How do you like your pasta tonight, B?” Declan returned, smugly. Then he shot off a look to Derik. “If Mom, heaven forbid, dropped dead tomorrow… Derik would be screwed. He can barely boil an egg!”

“Yeah well Declan, there are more important things to life than just thinking with your stomach.” Derik said coldly.

“Yeah, you and your books.” Declan sneered. “Like THAT’S going to get you anywhere!”

“How about Cambridge?” Derik said smugly back.

Declan paused in his eating to look at him in surprise. “Say what?”

“Derik?” Aunt Susan gave her younger son an inquiring look.

“Cambridge University is open again and B will be applying to study History there.” Derik boasted, causing Declan to throw me a surprised look next.

“You’re leaving?” Declan looked on in shock.

Huh? Why is he so surprised about this? I was expecting a smart-arse retort like, ‘good riddance’ or something from him.

“B says I could go with her and do an Undergraduate’s course in Medicine.” Derik told his mother. “I don’t need to do a Masters or a PhD or anything as Grandpa Wisetail said he’ll take me on as an apprentice to become the tribe’s second Medicine Man. But I thought it would be helpful if I did an Undergraduate’s course in Medicine first.”

“Say what?” Declan’s mouth dropped open in further surprise as he looked back at his little brother.

“Derik!” Aunt Susan beamed proudly on her youngest son.

“Since the War, not many schools are open so kids like us, can complete their High School Certificates. But we’re able to submit assignments with our application papers to be reviewed on a case by case basis.” Derik went on.

“I’ll help you pick your best work to put together.” Aunt Susan quickly agreed. “Your biology essays were always the best in the tribe, especially your last on the immune system. I don’t think we can hand them in as is in your handwriting, but we could use Arabella’s computer and printer and type them up -”

“Hang on hang on hang on!” Declan interrupted before he strangely laughed to himself, “Mom, I’m sorry to be the slap of reality here, but how exactly are we going to pay for all of this?”

Aunt Susan looked on her eldest as if his words really were a slap and her face fell.

“No problem.” Derik said coolly.

“No problem?” Declan arched his eyebrows. “I don’t think the University operates on a barter system like we have here in the tribe, Derik. You won’t be able to trade in dead moose or caribou to pay your way through.” Declan looked coldly my way before he looked back on his brother. “B as I understand has English relatives that live in a castle full of rich and expensive old things that can pay her way. But what have you got, Derik? What has this family got that will pay for all of this?”

Derik looked away from Declan to tell Aunt Susan, “B showed me this website for a company called Hodge Endeavor which will pay my way.”

“Hodge Endeavor?” Aunt Susan’s eyes widened in recognition of the name. “Hodge Endeavor will pay for your tuition? Like some sort of scholarship or some such?”

“We came here to Lokoti land because a letter from our Great, Great Grand Uncle Mike Sabre told us to. He was a Circulator in the Circulate. The Circulate run Hodge Endeavor. Because of Mike Sabre, B was telling me that we have access to Hodge Endeavor money. They’ll pay for Cambridge.” Derik explained.

“Who’s Hodge Endeavor?” Declan looked at his mother skeptically.

“One of the few multi-national companies that survived the War.” Aunt Susan said in surprise, before she looked my way in confusion. “B, I understand that with you being a Circulator in the Circulate along with your Mom and your Gran that Hodge Endeavor will pay for you. But why will they pay for Derik?”

“Because of who you are.” I told her. “Your late husband Anthony was Mike Sabre’s Great Grand Nephew or something. Elisha, my Great Great Gran turned Mike into a Circulator. Mike looked out for your family by leaving you a letter telling you to come here where you would be safe after the War, before he evolved with Great Great Gran to the space time continuum. Because you’re related to Mike Sabre, you have his access to Circulate funds through Hodge Endeavor.”

Declan dropped his fork loudly on his plate and pushed it away, looking cranky for some reason.

“So, my brother is a millionaire because of a dead distant relation?” Declan asked in disbelief. “Well, I don’t need my job at the Garage anymore!”

“You have access to that money too Declan, if you should ever need it or even if you had some kind of inkling towards bettering yourself!” I snapped.

Declan stood up in a rage so suddenly, his chair fell backwards onto the floor!

I blanched scared, as I saw his blue eyes flash glowing green and Werewolf-like, with his circular pupils turning into narrow slits. Then he growled under his breath before he turned around and stalked out of the room…

… BAM!

I think he slammed his bedroom door behind him so hard that the wood started to split! I looked guiltily at Aunt Susan, who actually didn’t seem that surprised by her eldest’s temper tantrum, but just a little sad instead.

“Sorry.” I said uneasily, then I looked at Derik. “I just thought he was wrong to put you and your dreams down like that.”

Derik smiled appreciatively as he put his hand over mine.

“No B, it’s alright.” Aunt Susan sighed. “I think Declan is jealous. Not about Derik’s education, since Declan has never been one for school or homework. But he can’t leave Lokoti land, like Derik is being offered the chance to. Being a Werewolf, there aren’t many places he can go where he can change and hunt freely like he can here.”

Now I really felt bad…I pulled my hand out of Derik’s hold as I stared down at my plate, suddenly losing my appetite.

*****

I didn’t stay much longer than that. After dinner, I helped Derik with the washing up. Since I wasn’t hungry anymore, Aunt Susan put a piece of tiramisu into a tupperwear container for me to take home. She even kindly threw in an extra two slices for Mum and Dad.

Derik tried to insist on walking me home, but I didn’t feel like kissing him again which I knew he would try if he did. So I firmly told him that I would be fine and I began my walk alone towards the hill.

I walked out of the community centre and up the steep, dirt road towards my house. The road was well-lit under the light of the full moon and I looked at my watch. It was just after 8 PM, I wasn’t sure if Dad would be home by the time I returned, or if he would have left for the hunt with the rest of the tribe’s Werewolves. Declan had departed as Derik and I were washing up, leaving the house in a bathrobe.

As I walked, I noticed that I started to feel a little crampy in my stomach, as if I had indigestion or something.

That was weird, usually my stomach was solid as a rock. Even my immune system was better than most kids in the tribe, as I never got the stomach bug. I didn’t even get food poisoning that time the Store accidentally sold bad cheese! I never got the flu either. The only thing that could lay me out was bad period pain, which happened frequently. Yep, the hot water bottle and constant supply of strong pain killers from the Medical Bay at Circulate Headquarters were my best friends when that happened.

Grandpa as our Medicine Man, would worry over how many painkillers Gran, Mum or I would take when the curse was upon us. He said that we took so many, our bodies were building up a resistance to the drug which was why we had to keep upping the dosage. He tried to replace it with herbal remedies instead, but they didn’t work as well or as fast as the 25th Century drugs our Calculator Vincent was happy to keep us stocked up on.

My indigestion grew worse, as the discomfort was harking on the painful side. But then I wondered if it was indigestion, as I felt my mouth water and I craved something… like I was suddenly starving and what my stomach was experiencing was hunger pains. I’m not hungry AGAIN am I? I don’t get it, pasta always fills me up and I only ate about an hour ago. What’s going on here?

I stopped walking to pry the lid off the tupperwear container I was carrying. I sniffed at the tiramisu, tempted to eat some right now. But then my stomach lurched in an objectionable manner. My taste buds told me that my body didn’t want to eat something sweet, but it wanted to eat something savoury. It wanted something like – like - like a huge thick piece of red meat that was cooked so lightly, at such a rare state that it was still bleeding freely…

Now that IS weird! Usually I prefer my meat well-done. Where the hell is all of this coming from? Why do I feel this way? My shoulders were tense and I could feel my heart begin to race. Suddenly I felt like sprinting the rest of the way home... so I did.

I shut the lid on the tupperwear container before I broke into a run. I easily ran the rest of the way up the hill, not breaking into a sweat let alone becoming breathless. I ran up my driveway, easily high jumped over my veranda railing and then I threw open my front door to go inside.

Mum looked up startled, from reading a book on the couch.

“Has Dad gone hunting?” I asked as I walked past into the kitchen, to put the tiramisu in the fridge.

“No, he’s at your Uncle Ian’s place.” Mum answered.

“Why is he there?” I walked back into the lounge room.

“With Jack’s death, the pack thinks its Ian’s son Leaf who is going to change instead of Jack’s grandson Meadow since he’s only 9 years old.” Mum sighed.

“Ah,” I raised my eyebrows, “and the pack want to be ready to initiate him or something?”

“Yeah, something like that.” Mum sighed. “I think when a human changes into a Werewolf for the first time, their bloodlust has to be controlled. The pack want to be ready to help Leaf so he doesn’t take off from the tribal lands and into Alma and try to eat a townsperson or something.”

“Eugh!” I shuddered at the thought. “But mind you, after what happened to Uncle Jack? Maybe we should let Leaf go nuts, particularly on the bad element of town.”

“The Tribal Elders along with the pack have decided to help the people in Alma remove the bad element.” Mum looked up from her book again. “This will be the first time that the Lokoti will be policing off their land. The people of Alma have always had suspicions the Lokoti Werewolves existed, with the odd eye-witness report here and there. When the invaders tried to take over our land when I was pregnant with you? That confirmed the Werewolves existence.”

“So the people in Alma don’t mind and aren’t scared of the Lokoti Werewolves?” I asked curiously.

“They are wary, yes. But since no good townsperson, has ever been attacked by a Lokoti Werewolf, they trust them. The only time a Lokoti Werewolf has injured a townsperson was if the townsperson was on our land, doing something they shouldn’t. The people of Alma know this. It was one of the reasons why they asked the Tribal Elders if the Lokoti Werewolves would remove the bad element.” Mum went on.

Her eyes widened in worry when she noticed I was slumped over the back of the easy chair, rubbing my tummy. “B, are you alright?” she asked concerned.

“Cramps.” I flinched from the pain.

“Go to bed and I’ll bring up the hot water bottle and some pain killers.” Mum put aside her book to stand up.

“It’s not those kind of cramps.” I said weakly. “I feel like I’ve got indigestion or something like it.”

Mum frowned as she walked over to my position to put her hand over my forehead. “You never get indigestion, just like you never get food poisoning or the stomach bug. You’ve got the constitution of your father, a Lokoti Werewolf.” She joked, before her frown returned. “Right now your skin does feel rather hot.”

“I’m going to go lie down.” I turned away. “There’s tiramisu in the fridge that Aunt Susan told me to bring back for you and Dad.”

“Thanks.” Mum watched with concern as I slowly walked over to the staircase.

Whilst gripping onto the banister hard, I slowly made my way up to my bedroom. I didn’t even bother to shower or change into my pajamas. Instead I simply lay down on top of the covers as I curled up into a ball. I started to tremble as I experienced hot flushes whilst the pain grew worse.

Mum came into my bedroom carrying a glass of water as she came to sit on the side of the bed to help me drink from it.

“Drink lots of water.” She advised. “Maybe your body needs to flush out a toxin of some kind.”

I nodded weakly, but then I emitted a small smile in appreciation as she began to rub my tummy to ease the pain.

Mum continued, “if you don’t start to feel better in a couple of hours, I’ll take you to the Medical Bay at Circulate Headquarters. I’ll get Vincent to do a scan and check you out.”

I gave a final nod, before I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to concentrate on the massage instead of the pain itself. I could feel a layer of cold sweat appear over my hot skin, which only made me feel worse…

*****
© Copyright 2008 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456894-Chapter-2---Scent-Updated