*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457570-The-Poll
Rated: E · Short Story · Political · #1457570
for the Writer's Cramp: a government agency asked me how to achieve world peace
         I hesitated when the caller finished.
         "Those are the choices?" I said.
         "Yes, sir, do you think the new administration can best achieve world piece by a strong military presence or by funneling foreign aid money to anyone who might attack us?"
         I blinked.
         "You're asking me if we should bully them or bribe them?"
         "The question, sir, is whether you think the new administration...."
         I had heard her the first time.  I just couldn't believe it.  I'd voted for these guys, and this was their approach to foreign policy?
         No, I realized.  This was what they thought I wanted to believe was their approach to foreign policy.  I had voted for people who I thought I, and others like me, thought diplomacy was a waste of time.  Maybe they even believed I thought peace was a waste of time.
         Too bad I couldn't change my vote retroactively.
         I could express my opinion of their poll, though.  I pressed the appropriate finger against the receiver cradle, and relished the dial tone.
© Copyright 2008 Uberlurker (uberlurker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457570-The-Poll