*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459687-The-Stranger
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1459687
Based on a nightmare about robbery.
For the winter my family goes to a house in the mountains. the house was wooden, and very cozy and warm at night.

Like most mornings, I wake up and get on the computer. Instead, this morning I woke up and got breakfast. All was well until a stranger knocked on the door to the house.The strange man had a bushy gray beard and long gray hair, although he didn't look a year over 30. He had a rancid smell about him, one of rotten fruit, one I won't forget. Before answering the door, I ran to the master bedroom, where my mother lied sleep.
I shook her,and finally she answered the door moments later. The man explained that recently his family lost their home and he was sent out to find firewood and he got lost.He couldn't go back into the woods that evening because he was tired.

So, mom let him in and fixed him a cup of cocoa. Mom laid out the rules and let the man sleep on the couch. I wanted to tell her that he was a complete stranger, and that in no way could i go to sleep with a stranger in the living room.

I didn't say it, though I would regret it in the future. That night, it was cold and breezy, like never before. So, I got out of bed to go sleep in mom's room with Ben and Asa and Dad. Unfortunately, someone beat me to it.

There was the stranger, in my parents room, scavenging through their personal belongings. I hooted at him and he dashed out the room. In his hand he held the very thing that kept the family together...The wallet! It was older than the family combined and he had it. I ran after him shouting but only to hear a peep come from my mouth, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get him. I threw a rock at his head. He fell down with a great thump and I new if he wasn't down for good then I was.

I ran into the house and locked all doors. mom was waiting for me. she had the animals, and the rest of the family huddled in our emergency quarters. Hopefully, Mr. Mysterious hadn't clearly investigated the house top to bottom.

Outside I hear him banging on the door, then, I hear a long silence, All I could hear were the thumps of my heart. Then the most frightening of sounds came,bash! I heard the door splinter in pieces. Scared to death, I only had to hope that he didn't
know where we were.

I am too young to die, I pleaded in my head. Then in seconds, another bash. screams and all I could do was sit there, in space. Why couldn't I move? The man had gotten me, with his ax. Now was it.

All I could do was scream silently. Nobody can hear it but me. Shrieks and bloodcurling yelps, cries and finally silence.

Now I lay awake in my bed. Where is that man? I wonder. Then out my window I catch a glimpse of a gray beard .
© Copyright 2008 K.N CLay (kaydah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459687-The-Stranger