*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462035-Used-Parts-on-a-New-Car
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1462035
Article on a standard, and legal, auto repair practice.

Used Parts on a New Car? It Happens All the Time

By Russell A. Simon


With more than 6.3 million car accidents in the United States every year*, there’s a steady stream of business for auto repair and body shops. Since approximately 35 percent of wrecks result in a total loss, there also are plenty of used parts lying around – many of which end up on cars that are fixable.

Following an accident, you want your car returned to pre-loss condition, but the manner in which that happens might surprise you. Of course, if you’re paying for the repair yourself, you can insist on brand new, factory replacement parts; but most people have to abide by the restrictions of their insurance carrier. And increasingly, insurers are instructing body shops not to use new parts whenever possible.

Is it possible your brand new car will be fixed with brand new parts? Could you end up with a Japanese fender on your American car? Might the hood on your 2001 model be replaced with one from a 2003 model? Yes, yes and yes, because while insurance companies are interested in getting your car back on the road, they’re also interested in making a profit.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts
These are the same parts that were used when your car was built, and they carry the manufacturer’s warranty. However, these parts result in the greatest cost to the insurance company. If you still insist on using only OEM parts, you can pay the difference and the body shop will order them.

Non-OEM parts (also called knock-off, aftermarket or quality replacement parts)
Non-OEM parts are an unfortunate reality of the auto repair business. These parts are made to be as close as possible to a manufacturer’s specifications, but also general enough to fit different makes and models. Non-OEM parts cost your insurer less, but they also can compromise the fit and finish of your vehicle. If this is the case, you can insist your insurance company cover the cost to redo the repair with OEM parts.

Used, recycled, salvage, crash parts
Parts from other cars must be undamaged OEM parts and taken from a vehicle similar to yours and the same age, or newer. This is another cost-cutter for insurance companies, but it can be an effective way to get your car the quality parts it deserves. Your body shop must inform you when they’re using non-OEM or used parts. Should this happen, just make sure the shop properly prepares each part; i.e., removes old paint, applies rust inhibiting primer, etc.


*United States Department of Transportation’s (USDOT’s) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
© Copyright 2008 rsimon91 (rsimon91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462035-Used-Parts-on-a-New-Car