*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462038-Standardized-Tests
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1462038
Understanding all the acronyms of standardized tests.

Understanding Acronyms – Standardized Tests You Need to Know

By Russell A. Simon

When it comes to standardized testing, you really need to know your ABCs. Before you grab your #2 pencil and start filling in the bubbles on your answer sheet, here’s a quick review of some of the most popular tests and what they’re used for.

•          PSAT/NMSQT – Offered in October of a student’s sophomore and junior years in high school, this test offers excellent preparation for the Sat and it’s a qualifying test for National Merit Scholarships and Letters of Commendation.
•          AP – Advanced Placement tests are administered to high school students who have completed AP courses. Thirty-seven AP tests are available and they enable students to earn college credit while still in high school.
•          SAT – Offered seven times per year, the SAT is required by most colleges and universities for admission, and may be used to award scholarships.
•          SAT Subject Tests (formerly the SAT II) – Often used to supplement your SAT scores, these tests – which can be taken at any point during high school – are used to evaluate a student’s knowledge in a specific area, such as literature, math, history, sciences and foreign languages.
•          ACT – Similar to the SAT, this test is used by college admissions departments to evaluate students. Most schools accept either the SAT or ACT.
•          TOEFL – The Test of English as a Foreign Language evaluates non-native speakers on their ability to read, write, speak and listen in English. It is the most widely accepted English-language test and is accepted by nearly every college and university in the country.
•          GRE – The Graduate Record Examination is the standard when applying to graduate schools. Scores also are used to determine grants, fellowships and teaching/research assignments.
•          GMAT – The Graduate Management Admissions Test is required for acceptance to most business schools.
•          MCAT – The Medical College Admission Test is used for admission to medical schools. It tests students on physical and biological sciences, verbal reasoning and writing skills.
•          LSAT – The Law School Admission Test is required for admission to most law schools. Keep in mind the admissions officers will average your scores if you take the test more than once.


© Copyright 2008 rsimon91 (rsimon91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462038-Standardized-Tests