*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463569-Circulating-Chapter-1
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1463569
Time Travel & School Curriculum

9th April, 2003

Sophie Wilmont
C/- Riverview Psychiatric Hospital
Chicago
Illinois U.S.A.

Dear Sophie,

Hi it’s me, Elisha again. How are you? I hope you are doing well. Did you get my last letter? I’d like to hear back from you to know that you’re doing alright.

I’m just writing to you to let you know we all miss you here at Hamilton’s College. Brett sends his regards, so does Pat and Peter. We all miss not having you around. We all hope you will get well soon and think about rejoining us.

Classes have been very interesting, so have been the excursions we’ve been on for our History class. There’s been heaps of homework, especially now with Finals coming up. We’ve been studying like crazy. But in between all the work that’s been piling up, I have managed to catch a few movies. Call me immature, but Walt Disney films still have a place in my heart.

My all time favorite has always been ‘Snow White’. I’ve always thought the poor old evil Step Mother was just misunderstood. I mean, the poor woman has always lived in her husband’s past wife’s shadow, as well as trying to raise a teenaged Snow White. And if Snow White looked like her dead mother, then of course there’s going to be some tension there with the constant reminder of your husband’s first love.

What if the Step Mother never really wanted to marry the King in the first place? It must be hard to turn down the proposal of a King. So the poor woman ended up being a Queen, another huge responsibility, with the stress involved with running a country. I guess she wouldn’t have been so embittered if they had TV in those days, and she could have had a laugh watching ‘Barney the Purple Dinosaur’. If she could have joined in the happy dance and dance in an anti-clockwise motion, maybe all this idea of poisons and such never would have happened in the first place.

Anyway, write back soon and tell us you’re OK.

Your friend,

Elisha.


============================================================

TO: s_parson@snailmail.com
FROM: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
SUBJECT: The heat is on!
DATE: 10/ 04/ 03

Hey Sal,

The heat is on and the pressure is building up. There’s only two months left of school here at Hamilton’s and the teachers are making sure we know it. There are so many assignments to get through and some of the teachers like Dr. Knight and Dr. Myles, have been hanging out in the library to help us with our studying for exams next month.

The last of our excursions are out of the way (the trip to Athens in 440 BC for Calculators and our Circulators trip to New York in 2083 AD). At the moment everyone is focused on the here and now, particular in the short term with the matter of which University they want to go to?

In Physics today, we started looking at Temporal Causalities. I guess you could say that our course structure of Physics is a little bit different to yours. While you work out formulas for the speed of light and time dilation, we also look at if you change A, how it can affect B, which then affects the outcome of C.

Circulators thank God, are only getting the brush over of these effects. However Calculators are going to have to seriously focus on these issues for when they take their place in the Circulate.

Did you know that I can sense Temporal Causalities? You were even there to witness it. It was the infamous night of Halloween, on ‘Club Night’ when we followed Peter, Brett and Sophie into Alpha Building. I sensed the change in the time line when Professor Hamilton and Dr. Myles showed up to prevent Sophie from overdosing on the drugs which they had.

It was the night Dr. Kell also showed up for the first time. Remember all those footsteps and bright flashes of light? It was caused by the Circulators Dr. Myles and Professor Hamilton, phasing through time. That’s how they managed to seem to be in two places at once. That’s why they were in the Theatre in Gamma building when we left; then were suddenly outside Alpha building when we were there too. Pretty freaky, huh?

Now here’s something that’s really going to rock your socks off… The night of my first excursion, where I went to the Fox’s Ball and I saw the apparition of my dead Gran? It’s taken the Circulate this long to figure it out; but as a result, I didn’t see the spirit of my Gran… I saw the end of her time.

You see while a person lives, their body and their bio-electromagnetic field is an event in space time. If that body and energy were to suddenly end, then it leaves a momentary hole. It’s like if a star suddenly collapsed, then it would change the gravity in that area of space.

Or using another analogy, just imagine a rock in a stream of water. Time is the water, flowing about us, the rocks. Now if you were to suddenly take that rock out? For a millisecond there would be empty space before the water replaces that space where the rock used to be.

The apparition of my Gran was that millisecond of empty space. I sensed the end of her time, and how the flow of time like water, had to compensate to take up that empty place. Professor Hamilton explained this to me just last night.

I had a meeting with him in his office. He said that the Circulate had been analyzing the apparition all this time and this was their conclusion. He also said that even though the Circulate was made up of 696 people with the ability to see through, let alone phase through time? There are only four people who have the ability to sense Temporal Causalities.

They are Sophie, Lucas Hodge, Dr. Kell and now, me. Because I was close to my Gran and even though she died in a different era time I was occupying? It was how I sensed her end. I guess this is why I didn’t sense it when Guy was about to die. I learned this from you because he existed in a different era of time.

Since Guy died two hundred years before I was born, the flow of time would have been long since corrected. If I were living in the 1700’s with him I would sense it, because I would be sharing that area of space time with him. But with my Gran, even though I had temporarily left the 21st Century to exist in the 18th? It had only been a couple of hours so my body clock was still running on 21st Century time. That’s why I saw the apparition of Gran.

This is what baffled the entire Circulate. The Calculators wondered how I was able to exist in another time frame and still feel the reverberation of my Gran’s end in another century? The Circulate Council now believe that if these abilities were trained and finely tuned, I could sense more temporal causalities in a wide range of eras, rather than just the specific time frame I was occupying.

You know what Sally? I came to this, my own conclusion that I think somebody in the Circulate can already do this, with out any training required…Sophie.

She’s been seen things for years but being schizophrenic, she thinks they’re delusions out to get her. Sophie thinks she’s seeing ghosts and I’m going to take a guess about what frightens her so much? When she sees people die, she’s witnessing people’s end of time. Only she doesn’t know she’s seeing people’s bio-electromagnetic field leaving space time. She probably thinks she’s cursed just to see dead people everywhere she goes.

I’ve tried writing to her again. She never responded to my last two letters, I don’t even know if she got them. Maybe they never even reached her? But I’m going to keep trying to contact her again.

This time I followed Brett’s example by using their old secret language. They used codes when the talked about Sophie’s visions through time, or what we were learning here at College. I hope that this time it will work.

I think it’s really unfair that even though she’s not crazy and her visions are real? They just locked her away.

Write back soon,

E.

============================================================

12/ 04/ 03

Diary,

I mailed my letter to Sophie today as it was ‘Brown Day’, when we were all taken into the town of Brownsville.

I didn’t mail it through the school postal service, like the other letters I write to Dad? Because I don’t want any of the teachers to know. Professor Hamilton wants me to stay away from Sophie at this point in time, since he, Nell and Dr. Knight think she’s beyond help. But I disagree and I think so does Lucas. He’s the one who gave me Sophie’s address.

After I mailed the letter at the tiny post office/ department store of the even tinier town of Brownsville; I met up with Zack, Peter, Pat and Nelson in the Diner for lunch.

“Well I did it.” I announced, sitting down in the booth with the rest of them.

“Did what?” Peter asked flatly, as he kept reading the menu.

“Mailed the letter.” I rolled my eyes. Does he ever pay attention to anything?

“Do you really think she’s going to reply?” Nelson shook her head in disbelief. “She hasn’t so far to the other two letters you sent. What makes you think this time will be any different?”

“Third time lucky.” I shrugged.

“Did you ever consider that we were meant to stay away from her for a reason?” Pat asked dryly.

“Then why would the Head Councilman, Lucas Hodge, give me her address?” I retorted.

“Why do you think it was him that gave it to you?” Pat asked next.

“Because it was written in his hand writing.” I said smugly. “Also, he even gave me the codes to use.”

“Codes?” Zack quizzed.

“Yeah. When we were in France, in Nice actually? Just after you and he nearly came to blows. He told me that he and Sophie write to each other in codes. They used Walt Disney characters when talking about time.” I told.

“And ‘Barney the Purple Dinosaur’.” Nelson said dryly, unconvinced.

“Yeah, that too.” I looked at Zack.

“Give me an example.” Zack spoke interestedly.

“Well, if something bad is going to happen in the future? Sophie would tell Brett that Snow White’s Evil Stepmother was chasing Pluto, who was him. When Brett told Sophie about what they did in class, he would write that ‘Barney the Purple Dinosaur’ did his happy dance in an anti-clockwise motion.” I explained.

“And what did you say in your letter?” Peter put down the menu, now paying attention.

“Since she’s scared of her ability, I wrote that the Evil Stepmother is just misunderstood. I’m hoping that my hints will help her realize what she’s seeing aren’t delusions. I tried to tell her that she shouldn’t be afraid of what she’s seeing.” I told everyone.

Nelson cracked up laughing, as Pat shook his head again.

“Well it was worth a try.” Zack shrugged amicably.

“That’s what I thought.” I agreed.

“Sometimes Elisha, I think that you’re the one who should be in there. Then you can tell Sophie all about delusions.” Peter said snidely.

“Hey, it takes one to recognize one.” I retorted.

Really Diary, I don’t know why Zack still hangs out with Peter! I wish I didn’t have to, but when I hang with Zack, Peter is always around. At least Sally has stopped asking about him so at least she’s finally seen some sense.

===============================================

15/ 04/ 03

Diary,

I got another letter from Henry today...I get his letters from Dr. Knight, usually after Math class. Henry sends his letters to Dr. Knight’s family’s Mayfair home in the 18th Century, where she retrieves them. I don’t get them very often, something like every 3 months or so? I think it’s because of the distance the mail has to travel by old sailing ship for the time period.

I know this sounds weird, because come on! He lived and died 200 years ago! But how Dr. Knight has arranged it, is instead of me just getting a pile of built up correspondence over the years, all at once? I’m actually getting the letters one at a time, as if I were also living in that era. This way when I reply, he would receive my letters as if I were also living in that time.

I bought myself one of those old style calligraphy sets, where you get the old fashioned parchment, pen and wax. Dr. Knight gave me a special stamp of the Dunmore family crest to imprint in the wax seal. This is to help with my ruse as Lady Elisha Durrant, since Henry doesn’t know my real identity.

With my ruse as Lady Elisha Durrant, I’m the daughter to my former ruse as Lady Elisha Durrant who was my mother, who died in childbirth while having me. My father was an Army officer who’s also dead, so I live with my Grandparents, Earl Charles Durrant and Lady Doreen Durrant in Scotland. I used to live in the Colonies with my Army father, until his death when I was 12…So I’m my own daughter! How freaky is that? LoL!

You’re probably wondering why Charles, Dr. Knight’s brother, is Earl Durrant as well as Lord Dunmore now since the death of his father? Well, remember dour Doreen was married off at 18 and she couldn’t inherit the family estate in Scotland coz she’s female? Well, not only does the man get the woman’s estate (she had no brothers, only another sister) but he inherits the family title as well! No wonder she acted pissed off all the time.

For the Army guy who for my ruse was my father… Doreen did indeed have a male cousin who was in the Army and died. He probably would have become Earl Durrant and get the family estate, but he ‘carked it’. So Charles got the lot. He was stationed in a remote part of the States for a little while, so if anyone wanted to look closer at my ‘parentage’, my ruse would be difficult to interrogate. Apparently he died in a battle with some Native Americans.

Good on them, I say. White Man is a plague, like locusts, who come in and destroy. I certainly harbor no hostilities to the people who lived there first for hundreds, if not thousands of years!

Anyways under my ruse, if a suitor in the 18th Century wanted to marry me? He wouldn’t be looking to get any titles or land. He would just get a dowry of 20,000 pounds. Charles and Doreen have a son and a daughter, so the son will then become the Earl Durrant in Scotland and the future Lord Dunmore in England. Their daughter, who will inherit no estate, also has a dowry of 20,000 pounds. The only difference between my dowry and hers, is that the Circulate will be paying my way.

Being a member of the Circulate is an extraordinary thing. Money is no obstacle and no matter what era or country we visit, we have financial support and safe houses to shelter us. On our school excursions when we visited Cairo (or Thebes as it was called then in 1200 BC), Athens (440 BC), Rome (20 BC) and Beijing (1370 AD) we always phased to a house whose inhabitants were in league with the Circulate.

I suppose money can buy a lot of loyalty. But some of the people we came into contact with were also friends or family members of those in the Circulate, like Dr. Knight’s family. Then with Dr. Kell, who I only recently learned was born in Italy during the Renaissance? He’s made many alliess over his years of traveling.

Remember when we first saw him, he was wearing a Roman Centurion’s uniform? He’s spent a lot of time in Imperial Rome and made many friends in high places. He’s even dined several times with Octavius when he was Emperor!

When he took us to Rome in 20 BC, it was during Octavius’s reign. We attended a banquet where slaves waited on us hand and foot. It was fun wearing those tunics and togas and having my hair done in the hairstyle that was fashionable for the day.

As we were friends of Kell, his Roman friends treated us very well even though we could only speak a little of their language. Romans are very arrogant people, if you weren’t Roman, they would treat you like a second class citizen. But because we were pupils of Kell? You know the saying, “Well if you’re so and so’s friend then you’re my friend as well…”? They applied it to us as they applied to their feasting and revelry.

Our classes with Dr. Kell are mainly on History and Circulating. We have Math again with Dr. Knight and Physics with Dr. Myles, Drama and Music with Miss Inez and English and Philosophy with Professor Hamilton. But our History class with Dr. Kell is also like Cultural Studies. Not only are we just learning the history of the next place our excursion will be, but we also have to learn a little of the language, the dress and the social customs.

I don’t mind this, in fact I enjoy learning new languages! I found it easy to learn Ancient Egyptian, Latin and Mandarin… but for some reason I found it hard to grasp Greek. I think it’s because I recognize many of the symbols from my modern alphabet. But it throws me when it doesn’t sound or mean the same thing as the English alphabet.

Our time traveling excursions are over now for our schooling at Hamilton’s College with our reports on each place have been written and handed in. I’m going to miss sharing a couch with Zack and Numu, which we laid down on to eat at a Roman feast. I’m going to miss wandering around with Wong, Numu, Jordon and Zack in the ancient capital of Thebes, wearing our period costume for Egypt. I guess I’m gonna miss our Circulator’s class in general. Well, all except Peter… I can’t wait to get away from him.

When we visited Ancient Rome and Greece, Peter complained that the togas made him feel like he was wearing a dress. When we went to Ancient Egypt he complained about wearing the white skirt. When we visited Cuzco, the capital of the Incan Empire? He whined about the dress and feathers, saying we all looked like a bunch of Las Vegas Drag Queens. So you can imagine what he said when we visited China during the Ming Dynasty, dressed as European traders wearing the fashion of the time for Europe (think Shakespeare). The only time he didn’t whinge was our last trip into the future and we went to New York in 2083 AD.

I’m even going to miss Dr. Kell’s wicked sense of humor. The way he looks at you when you ask him a question, with the wry smile around his eyes even when his lips are dead straight? He always gave the impression that he was constantly humoring you even if he didn’t talk in a condescending manner.

When we graduate from Hamilton’s College, we won’t be just graduating from exams in English and Math and Science; but we will be graduating with honors in time travel. We’ll have qualifications in time manipulation and the observance of the time line. We will walk away with High School Diplomas and the distinction to travel through time as we wish. The diplomas and the Circulate paid scholarships will ensure our entry into the finest Universities the present has to offer. But the Circulate also guarantees a passport to human history.

============================================================

23rd December, 1779

To My Dearest Elisha,

I trust that this letter finds that you are keeping safe and well. I myself am in good health, only just a little cold. I have finished the night watch on deck, but now I find myself unable to sleep. Only an hour ago I was so looking forward to heading indoors and escaping the chilling wind. The memories of Bettsy’s cooking and sitting by the fire in the kitchen, reading with my mother and sister, warms me more than the standard issue of Naval blankets. And of course, sipping tea with a certain benefactoress, who brought with her the miraculous return of my father’s good health.

Since writing to you, my ship, the Darlington, is now in Penobscot Bay where we took Castine, a small coastal village. We assisted in the construction of Fort George, but building has not been easy. The rebels are continuous in their efforts to oust the King’s men by any means possible. Rebel forces sailed in from Massachusetts, but by the hand of God and the most excellent battle planning from my superiors, we were able to hold them off until reinforcements arrived. The Rebels whence upon fled, leaving their ships in flames, to prevent us compounding them.

Our war is just and it is to the King and our country that we fight on as we do. But during this, the Yuletide season of goodwill to all mankind, I often wish I were home and able to celebrate the festive season with my loved ones. I received a letter from my sister Elisha, who tells me she is soon to be married. I know the man, for it is John Stevens who runs the ‘Dancing Fiddle’ tavern in Dartford. I am happy for them both, John is a good man who will take good care of my sister. Also she will be close to home to look in on our father.

My dearest friend, have you been presented at court? Are you yet out in society? I do hope your family looks kindly upon our correspondence. If ever you attend any Balls, I know your dance card would be instantly filled. Our mutual friend, Colonel Greyson, holds his Ball in his Piccadilly town house every June. I am saving my leave until then… May I be so bold to claim, one dance, when I am next in England?

Your devoted friend,

Henry.

=================================================

23rd February, 1780

Dear Henry,

I hope that this letter finds you a little warmer with the change of season. I also hope that you are keeping safe and well in those dangerous conditions. Please accept my congratulations on your sisters’ engagement, I know your father would be very pleased with the arrangement, being so close to home.

I may be attending the Greyson’s Ball this coming June. As you are aware, my grandparents Lord Charles and Lady Doreen Dunmore, are quite protective. This is the reason why I have not yet been presented at court. But I believe I will journey with them to London this season and will be ‘out’. I promise that I will certainly save a space on my dance card for one who will travel so far in just to claim a dance from me…

Please keep up your correspondence, so I can imagine where you are in my old home country and so I can know that you are unharmed.

Your friend,

Lady Elisha Durrant.

============================================================

16/ 04/ 03

Diary,

I had just finished my reply to Henry’s letter when Nelson sprung me in the act.

I only wrote him a couple of lines, but still it took me two hours to write. I never know what to say to Henry. I’m not intimately interested in him, but I have to sound sufficiently sweet.

I was sitting at my desk, using the old ink pen, writing on the parchment from my Calligraphy Set, when Nelson walked in with out knocking first.

“Hey! What are you doing? Get out!” I yelped.

I suddenly leaned forward with my arms crossed over the letter, as I pathetically tried to hide my secret.

“You’re not getting changed! And you only lock your door when you’re at class or naked, so what’s the big deal?” Then she looked at my weird posture. “Ooooh! What have we got here?”

Nelson practically pushed me off my chair as she snatched up the document. She quickly scanned the paper with her eager eyes. “Huh? Who’s Henry? And why did you call the States your old home? And why have you written the date as the 23rd February, 1780?”

I didn’t answer, as I didn’t have to. Nelson’s look on her face went from teasingly curious to one of disbelief and possibly of disgust. “It’s his son, isn’t it?”

I still didn’t reply, as my guilty expression said it all.

“Elisha, you can’t get the Dad so you go for his kid? Do you know how sick - or morbid - or just plain wrong that sounds?” Nelson sneered. Then she read out aloud from my letter in a sarcastic cartoon voice, “I promise that I will certainly save a space on my dance card for one who will travel so far in just to claim a dance from me…”

“I had to sound a little interested to keep him writing.” I sighed, before I met her demanding gaze. “I was asked to.”

“Yeah? By who?” Nelson asked, unconvinced.

“The very last time I saw Guy, he asked me to keep an eye on his son during the War of Independence.” I said annoyed.

I crossed my arms again as I went into my defensive posture. I was bracing myself for the forthcoming storm.

“Guy asked you to use your abilities to keep his son alive? During the war? What about the rule of not making any huge changes in the time line? Does his son know about you? There are Calculators watching you! How do you think you’re going to get away with it this time? Are you going to run away from school again?”

“Yes, Guy asked me to use our ability to watch over his son; no his son doesn’t know about my real identity; yes the Circulate knows about this; and no, I’m not going to run away from school again.” I glared back.

“How are you sending the letters? How are you even getting the letters? Is Sally helping you?” Nelson now handed my letter back.

“No. Dr. Knight is the postman - or postwoman - I should say.” I snatched the paper back. I started to melt the wax with my cigarette lighter, “she periodically goes to London in 1779 AD or now 1780; picks up the letters Henry has sent, and leaves my letters behind to be posted. This way Henry thinks I’m writing to him from his era.”

Nelson watched as I neatly folded up the parchment into a nice little square. Then I sealed the fold with the wax and the Dunmore family crest stamp, imprinted into the hot wax. On the other side of the square I wrote down Henry’s name and the name of his ship to be sent via Royal Navy. I had black ink all over my fingers from the pen, which had kind of smudged over the parchment… but still, it looked quite presentable.

“You don’t like doing things the simple way, do you?” Nelson sighed, flopping onto my bed.

“What d’ya mean?” I gave her a funny look.

“Well, instead of having a meaningful relationship with someone at this school, let alone in this century? You go for Mr. I’ve-been-dead-for-a-couple-of-hundred-years. Then you promise this Mister that you’ll look after his son, also Mr. Dead-For-Two-Hundred-Years. Then instead of just waiting till you graduate so you can use Circulate technology in Headquarters to get the quick and easy version of keeping an eye on this boy? You do all this corresponding. I mean, you could have fulfilled this promise in one day by watching Henry’s life go by and then jumping in and saving it when you see the Reaper about to hit him with his scythe. You wouldn’t have to do all this writing crap.” Nelson shook her head.

“Oh.” I saw her point. “Well, I can’t stop now. It would be rude to just suddenly stop writing with no explanation.”

Nelson gave a long look. “What would you care if he was offended?”

“He’s Guy’s son! I’m not going to be rude to him! Besides, if I’m going to be rude to any of his children, I’ll reserve it for his daughter.” I half joked. “And anyway, Henry makes a nice cup of tea.”

“…he makes a nice cup of tea…?” Nelson made the innuendo, rolling her eyes.

“Look, I am NOT interested in Henry that way. This is just a promise to Guy.” I tried to shrug it off.

“And what about your feelings for Guy? You haven’t mentioned him for a while now. Are you finally over him?” Nelson eyed me skeptically; probably seeing this protection over Henry as a way to hold onto his father.

My eyes skipped over to the window to stare out at the surrounding mountains, forest and lake of the Ontario countryside.

“I think so. Occasionally something will remind me of him which brings his face clearly to mind? I don’t even have a picture of him, just his letter and two photocopied documents of the logs he kept, when he was an Admiral.” I sighed wistfully.

“Maybe our brains are designed to make us remember the people we cared about, then are separated from. I can still remember what my father looked like with out seeing a photo.” Nelson said softly.

I turned sharply her way in surprise... Diary, out of the three years I’ve known her? I think this was only the second time she’d actually shown her soft side - even if it was brief.

Nelson noticed the surprised look on my face, before she tried to shrug it off by casually. She stood up and left me alone in my room again, closing the door behind herself with out saying another word.


===============================================

18/ 04/ 03

Diary,

This afternoon I couldn’t concentrate properly on my English essay; so I dropped my homework for a while and headed over to Delta building to go for a swim.

The school has a small supply of kick boards which students can use, which I helped myself to. I don’t like swimming free style as I always get water in my ears from turning my head side to side and the water wouldn’t come out for a week! When I was little I was always getting ear infections. Now I do breaststroke or use a kick board.

I’ve started to really appreciate the fact that this school has a small indoor pool. When I first started at this college I used to hate it. I hated how we were made to go swimming for Phys Ed. I used to feel really self conscious in a swim suit, but not anymore because there’s hardly anybody around.

The school will be closing after the current Juniors graduate as Seniors. There are no Freshmen or Sophomores anymore and there’s only something like 33 students at present. After my year graduates in May, the last group of 15 students will have the whole school to themselves. That’s a freaky thought. I mean, the Caf looks half empty now with many unused tables. Even the dorms are emptying.

I was so off in my own world thinking about all this, whilst kicking up and down the pool? I didn’t realize someone else had entered the indoor pool area.

“Hey Elisha!” Dr. Myles called out.

“Oh! Hi…” I said in surprise.

I wondered what he was doing here? Was he looking for me? Or should I have asked for permission first before getting one of the kick boards out of the storage locker? I swam back down to the other end of the pool where he stood on the edge, waiting.

“Get out of the pool, we need to talk to you about something.” Dr. Myles ordered, before going to stand by the door to wait.

I quickly got out of the pool and wrapped a towel around my waist. “What’s up?”

“Get dressed and meet me in Hamilton’s office.” Dr. Myles said briskly, then he turned and left.

Oh oh… was I in trouble for something? Do they know about the letter? What did I do now?

I dried off as fast as I could and put my clothes back on top. But my swimmers were still wet which gave me a damp patch on my bottom. I hate that!

I hurried out of the building and across the snow covered oval. When I reached the top floor of Alpha building where the teacher’s offices were, I found both Professor Hamilton and Dr. Myles waiting.

Professor Hamilton sat comfortably behind his large desk in the principal’s office. His dark hair sported many a grey hair which gave him a debonair appearance. As our school principal, he looked to be Dr. Myles exact opposite. Professor Hamilton was usually dressed in expensive suits whilst our computer’s teacher with his shaved head, and multiple tattoos? Always wore jeans, long-sleeved t-shirts and steel-capped boots.

“Yes?” I asked nervously.

“Take a seat, Elisha.” Professor Hamilton said in his casual manner.

I did as I was told and my bottom just became wetter. Damn! It’s going to look like I wet myself.

“Now what this meeting is about, is partially what I discussed with you last week.” Professor Hamilton started. “It’s about your abilities.”

“Oh.” I said, half relieved. The knowledge of the letter was still safe.

“After discussing this with Lucas Hodge and Dr. Kell? We thought it was time to start teaching you some extra self defense classes outside of the classroom.” Hamilton continued.

“OK.” I said, intrigued.

“These classes won’t be taught to the other students, because not all of them have the ability to phase.”

“Really?” I asked in surprise again. “What about Peter, Zack, Jordon, Numu and Wong? They’re Circulators too.”

“They do have the ability to phase, but their abilities are limited to using windows, mirrors and other large, reflective surfaces. Do you remember on the bus ride home after France, when you found out about Brett? He turned into Lucas and then phased out of this era.” Hamilton started. “He phased with out the use of any reflective materials or windows, if you may recall.”

“Oh yeah, he did.” I remembered.

“Now there are only four people who can do that in the Circulate and you are one of them.”

“I see…and the others are Lucas, Dr. Kell and Sophie?” I guessed.

“That is correct.” Hamilton confirmed. “Now we are going to teach you how to integrate your phasing ability with your self defense skills.”

“Oh.” I said puzzled. How the hell were they going to do that? “Can you give me an example?”

As if right on time, suddenly Dr. Kell blew through Hamilton’s office door.

My Circulator’s class teacher seemed to be in a rush today. Usually with his ability as a time manipulator, he was usually unflappable and always in control. But today I noted his dark, curly hair looked scruffier than usual, giving him a slightly flustered appearance.

“Sorry, am I late? I got caught up with something.” Dr. Kell greeted puffing, as if he ran.

“Your timing is impeccable, as always.” Hamilton smiled on his co-worker. “Elisha wanted to be shown an example of how we will teach her to use her phasing abilities with the self defense skills.”

“Well, I am right on time then.” Dr. Kell chuckled heartily, along with Dr. Myles. “Shall we show her here? Or somewhere with more room and a little more privacy?”

“Good idea. Let’s go to Headquarters, shall we?” Hamilton stood up from his desk.

“Are we phasing to Mars?” I brightened by the idea.

“We certainly are. After you, my dear.” Dr. Kell swung his arm towards the door.

I stood up and crossed over to the door, when I realized a three pairs of eyes were now on my bottom.

“I was swimming!” I blushed, putting my hands behind.

“Don’t worry, we’ll show you another trick of how you can dry yourself off in a hurry.” Dr. Kell smiled in good humor. “In fact, it will be right on par with your classes.”

We three went down the stairs to the next floor, then down the hallway past the computer lab. We approached the same window where I first saw Dr. Knight phase through and in my inexperience, I first thought she was a ghost. It was the same window I have phased though myself a couple of times now.

We heard voices of students inside the near-by computer lab, as well as down the hallway from the Library. But we didn’t have any fears about being seen now… everybody now knew who they were. Every single student here at Hamilton’s College were in the know about this ability that we have inside ourselves and the teachers as well.

Dr. Myles went into phase first then Professor Hamilton second. They didn’t take a long time to focus themselves like we students did. They didn’t even stop walking, they simply turned see-through and bright, as their biological bodies broke down into particles of light. Like this, they casually walked through the glass.

I was about to go next, when Dr. Kell stopped me by taking hold of my arm.

“Please, allow me.” he said cordially as he placed his hands on my shoulders.

Just as quickly as the other teachers did, I felt Dr. Kell turn both of our bodies into waves of light. Like this, we streamed through the panes of glass. The familiar bright light enveloped us in a warm and tingling sensation.

Once on the other side, my eye sight adjusted immediately. My body was getting used to this transition now. In fact, I was starting to enjoy phasing. It was like floating in a vast, bright, warm ocean; where you don’t feel gravity pulling you down. You feel free in a whole new realism.

Another thing I realized as we stood on the crystallized Gate platform at the Circulate, was that I was now completely dry.

“How did you do that?” I asked, impressed.

“That you will find out soon, I promise.” Kell said jovially. “Come, this way.”

We stepped off the platform and as we left the Gate room, Kell nodded politely to the Gate controller.

This was my third time visiting Circulate Headquarters, but I was still impressed. Every time I come here I admire the smooth, round lines of the futuristic decor. The colour scheme of our HQ was predominantly black or white, with all the doors either clear or frosted-over glass.

There were touch-screen crystallized computer interfaces everywhere, predominantly on the white or grey walls. We walked on the black metallic floor, through more glass sliding doors, as we passed other members of the Circulate.

Some of the people were wearing period costume, either about to visit or just coming back from a particular era of Earth’s history. I walked past people in either traditional Chinese dress, or Ancient Egyptian or Roman costume or even Incan clothes. However most people I noted, wore the simplistic one-piece futuristic suits. They carried ultra advanced scanning devices or futuristic iPods or PDA’s, busily listening to or reading what was on the small screens.

We passed by several Observation Lounges that were next to the outer dome wall. There people could relax on modern couches and look out at the green Martian countryside. We were in the time when the planet had an atmosphere, oceans and vegetation.

Our Headquarters was situated on Mars, on a large continent in the northern Hemisphere near the Mare Acidalum. We were a direct contrast to 21st Century Earth, as the approximate time frame for the Mars we were on now; is 250,000 years in the past. However, the technology used could be dated to Earth’s 25th Century AD.

There were no ceilings in Circulate HQ, as all the rooms were laid out inside of a gigantic circular glass dome, which freely let in the daylight. There were no ornate decorations and minimal furniture. Everything here was ultra modern and designed to function for simplistic living. Aside from the crystallized computer touch-screens on many of the walls, I believe a massive computer ran our Headquarters; from the Gate down to the environmental controls.

When Dr. Kell and I caught up to Professor Hamilton and Dr. Myles, I realized we were going to a part of Headquarters that I hadn’t seen before. We entered what looked like an exercise room. There were white mats on the walls and floors for padding. I wondered if people practiced martial arts here?

“This is a self defense classroom. We prepare every member of the Circulate with some small skill to protect themselves. Over here…” Professor Hamilton walked over to a wall where large range of human weapons through the ages were on display. “Is a modest collection from the atrocities of mankind. We prefer not use weapons, of course. However we keep this collection for training purposes.”

The Circulate’s ‘modest collection’ was a massive display of bow and arrows, crossbow, spears, swords and guns! There were numerous swords, from sabers, scimitars to katanas. The weapons ranged from muskets from the colonial days, through to some sort of laser rifles of the future. Professor Hamilton’s back was turned as he pulled out a spear, a musket and a laser rifle.

I started to feel nervous again… what exactly was expected of me? Why was he showing me all of these? Am I expected to use them?

Suddenly Hamilton spun around and threw the spear at Kell! I screamed in shock! Just as suddenly though, Dr. Kell instantly turned see-through and the spear sailed clean through him and drove itself into the wall behind.

Next Hamilton shot off the musket in one hand and the laser weapon in the other… and both bullet and laser beam also fired through the waves of light that Dr. Kell was now. As Professor Hamilton lowered the weapons, Dr. Kell, completely unharmed; reformed back into his usual solid shape.

“You’re showing your old age Stephen.” Dr. Kell smiled at the school principal.

Then all three men started laughing! Shit!! I can’t believe he just did that! And they’re laughing about it?! Now they all looked my way...

“Elisha, could you come here please.” Dr. Hamilton waved me over with the musket still in his right hand.

But I didn’t move, I couldn’t move. I just stared at him and the weapons in each of his hands.

“Oh, my apologies.” Hamilton guessed my thoughts and returned the weapons back to their holders on the display wall, as Dr. Myles retrieved the spear.

I still didn’t move, so both Dr. Kell and Professor Hamilton came over to me instead.

“What we’re going to teach you, is how you can do exactly what Dr. Kell just did.” Hamilton said.

I backed away from them, still in shock. “No way! There is no way I can do that!” I violently shook my head.

“Of course you can! Why do you think we brought you here?” Dr. Kell laughed at my reaction.

“Relax Elisha. We’re not going to suddenly start shooting at you. We’ll begin with easier tasks than that.” Dr. Myles said dryly, joining us with the spear in his hand.

Now my eyes were on the spear…

“OK, how about we show her your next trick?” Myles now asked Kell.

Kell rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. “If we must.”

Professor Hamilton walked over to the computer panel on the wall and pressed a button. “Dr Remus, could you please report to the Self Defense classroom. And bring your medical kit.”

Oh oh, I don’t think I’m gonna like this next trick…!

As Kell walked away to stand on the far side of the room, Hamilton addressed me as if he were explaining casually something out of a text book.

“Now what we’re about to show you is related to how Dr. Kell phased you here perfectly dry. This is a skill all Circulators will learn to do.”

Then the doors to the room opened and a woman wearing a futuristic, white one-piece suit walked in. She looked to be of Mediterranean descent and either in her late thirties or early forties. I recognized her as one of the physicians who treated Guy the very first time I came to HQ.

“Oh no, not this again.” was her reaction to Dr. Myles now pointing the spear in Kell’s direction. She didn’t look alarmed though, only frustrated. “Surely there are other ways you can teach your students. Don’t you gentlemen ever get tired of this?”

“More than words can say, doctor.” Was Kell’s reply.

She knelt to the floor and opened her medical kit, just as Dr. Myles sent the spear sailing through the air once more.

This time Kell didn’t turn himself into light and the spear struck him in the shoulder!

“Grrmpph!” Kell grunted in pain.

The spear was protruding through his shoulder bone. I was about to run over to help him, when Professor Hamilton gently restrained me.

“Wait.” He tried to smile reassuringly.

Now Kell went into phase and disappeared from our sight. Instantly he appeared beside us, where he collapsed to his knees onto the padded floor. The bloodied spear dropped to the floor beside him, no longer attached to his body.

Dr. Remus injected him with a pain killer from a futuristic pressurized spray device. I remembered the same technology used on Guy when he was ill. I watched as the relief was immediately written on Kell’s face. Then Dr. Remus began using the futuristic laser skin-sealing device on his wound which almost magically began to heal him.

Dr. Myles picked up the spear again, to Dr. Remus’s wariness. “You’ll need to clean the blood off that to prevent bacteria forming.” She said as she worked on Kell.

He handed the spear to Professor Hamilton who walked it over to the weapons display. Hamilton sanitized it using a sterilized cloth, before he returned it to its holder.

“OK Elisha, can you tell me two things what happened then?” Dr. Myles began his tutelage.

“What?!” I looked at him incredulously. He spears his friend and then teaches class? What kind of loonies have I ended up with?!

“Focus!” he snapped his fingers in front of my face. “Kell is fine. Now, tell me the two things that you observed in that exercise.”

“Huh?” I looked at him lost, no idea where to begin.

“First of all, when Dr. Kell rematerialized, the spear was no longer inside him. Can you tell me why?”

“Er, no.” I shook my head in shock.

“This is the same principle as to why you’re standing here dry. It’s because when you phase and then reform, you will have the ability to exclude certain molecules from your own. The water from the pool was not part of your body. The spear was not part of Kell’s body. When he was in phase, he was able to differentiate his molecules to the foreign bodies attached to his own.” Dr. Myles stated.

“But sir, wouldn’t that be the same with clothes?” I asked before I flinched, worried that it might have sounded stupid.

“Good point, Elisha.” Kell congratulated from the floor.

“That is correct.” Dr. Myles nodded. “There have been instances where Circulators have accidentally phased themselves, leaving their clothes behind. But this is a very rare occurrence and could you possibly tell me why that is?”

“Because they don’t want to be naked?” I shrugged.

“Correct again. It is lucky that with social conditioning, our subconscious sees our clothes as a type of second skin. Where our first skin goes, so does our second skin. Now, can you tell me the second thing you may have noticed about this exercise?” Dr. Myles folded his arms, eyeing me closely.

“Ummm…” I had no idea what he wanted me to say.

“That Dr. Kell was able to phase and travel in such a small space of time. How he instantaneously appeared to where we are now standing. Not many Circulators have this ability. Now can you tell me why?”

“Because it has something to do with instantaneously phasing without windows or mirrors?” I took a guess.

“Correct. Not all Circulators can phase without a device outside their bodies, to concentrate and focus their light waves. Because of this, usually short jumps in time cannot be achieved.” Dr. Myles stated. “The shortest time a Circulator that does not have the same ability to instantaneously phase as you, Rufus Kell, Lucas Hodge and Sophie Wilmont, has ever jumped is 5 seconds.”

“You see Elisha, when a Circulator phases through the layers of time, it is often easier to phase to a more distant point in time than it is to phase to a closer point in time. Imagine it like a dart board. As you concentrate and aim the dart, you find it is easier to go for one of the outside rings because they are larger. But if you wanted to aim for the Bulls Eye, or one of the inner rings, it is much harder. Phasing through time is identical to this scenario.” Professor Hamilton explained in a more understandable manner.

“Ohhh…” I understood what they were talking about now, “…and phasing instantaneously is related to this?”

“Precisely.” Hamilton smiled again. “So three times a week for your remaining time at the College, you will be brought here to train with Dr. Myles to hone these abilities.”

“Three times a week? But what about Finals?” I asked worriedly.

“Trust me Elisha.” Dr Kell now stood up with Dr. Remus’s help as his shoulder was now fixed. “This is just as important, especially if you want to go traveling by yourself. Particularly if you inadvertently put yourself into a dangerous situation to protect others.”

Dr. Kell gave me a long look which made me wonder if Dr. Knight had told them about Guy’s request?

============================================================

TO: s_parson@snailmail.com
FROM: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
SUBJECT: Extra-curricula Activities
DATE: 21/ 04/ 03

Hey Sal,

How are you? Enjoying your Scottish spring? It’s still bloody freezing for Canada. I know I say that every year… but really, winter in the Northern Hemisphere seems to go forever and ever. But you wanna know what gets me away from Canada three times a week? I’m being taught special self defense lessons at Circulate Headquarters with Dr. Myles!

Yes, not only do I leave the country, or even the wintry Northern Hemisphere? But I leave behind the entire planet! One day I’ll show it to you. Where our Headquarters are is quite a pretty part of Mars. It’s near the Mare Acidalium, in the Northern Hemisphere.

The Headquarters is inside of a gigantic glass dome, where everything is really futuristic and high tech. It’s like the set designers for the movies ‘Gattaca’ and ‘Lost in Space’ were paid to be the interior designers for this place as well. The reason why it’s inside the dome, is because the Headquarters is 250,000 years in the past, when Mars still has plant life and an atmosphere. However the temperature is still pretty chilly and the atmosphere is thinner than Earth. Gravity is slightly weaker than our home planet, so when you first arrive there? You realize that it’s easier to get up and down if you’re moving around a lot.

Dr. Myles is teaching me in the self defense class room. I won’t tell you what my very first class was like, otherwise I may scare you away permanently. But let’s just say I look at my male teachers in a different light now.

Apparently I have an ability inside myself that not many other Circulators have, to phase instantaneously with out the need of glass or other reflective surfaces to concentrate my light particles. Then using this ability, they want to incorporate it with self defense moves. Like, if you ran at me with a sharp, pointy object? I could instantly phase (go all see-through) and the sharp thing would easily go straight through me and I would be unharmed.

Lucky for me, my classes have started off with simpler exercises. At the moment, I’m getting a quick revision of our past self defense classes. So I’m blocking punches, or flipping people onto their arses. What Dr. Myles wants to teach me using these techniques, is to also let the punches go right through me, using instantaneous phasing.

Ha, what a laugh! But supposedly I’ll be able to do this one day. I can’t imagine myself doing it yet. I have three classes a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. On Mondays Dr. Myles is working with me to try to go into phase faster, then on Wednesdays and Fridays, we do the self defense stuff. He’s hoping to combine the two techniques into one fighting method by the time I graduate.

Yeah right!! What did they say on that TV show, ‘Home Improvement’? “I don’t think so Tim…” Sure, I’ll just become superwoman with a near invincible fighting skill. Able to dodge speeding bullets in a single phase... That is, until somebody throws some Kryptonite at me.

===============================================

TO: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
FROM: s_parson@snailmail.com
SUBJECT: Keep at it
DATE: 22/ 04/ 03

Hi Elisha,

How are you? How is everyone at College? I’m OK thanks, just heaps of studying to do for Finals.

Do you know what University you’re going to yet? My parents are giving me heaps about it. Their ‘advice’, ironically comes across as not very cleverly disguised orders. I’ve applied for several, but my parents are hoping my marks will get me a scholarship into Cambridge.

I’ve had to sit a special test for the scholarship outside of my usual exams. I also had to travel down with my Mum by train for the interview with the Board of Trustees of Holy Spirit College that have the scholarship fund that I’m applying for. I tell you Elisha, on the train ride down, I very nearly opened the train window and jumped out, my Mum was that annoying! She kept making me rehearse my answers for the kinds of questions she thinks the board will ask. Actually, let me rephrase that – I bloody well nearly threw HER out the window!

Have you heard back from Sophie yet? Can you possibly use Circulate technology to check up on her? Maybe you could use your spontaneous phasing to ‘pop’ in on her. Or maybe she’ll think you’re one of her delusions…alright, bad idea, forget it.

I think the self defense classes with Dr. Myles is a great idea. I bet Nelson is jealous! Is she and Pat still an item? But I bet she still checks out Dr. Myles tattoos when neither he nor her boyfriend are looking! LoL!

I think the lessons are a great idea because remember the time when you were in France, I think Versailles to be exact? Remember when you saw Guy in the gardens? Remember when you called out to him? I think you almost phased then with out any mirrors, windows or doorways.

Maybe if you think back to that day and use whatever you were thinking about, it might help you. You know how in the movies, when the main protagonist is trying to solve a problem, suddenly one word, or something they see, sets them off down memory lane. They, in a very cliché way, realize they always knew the answer? You never know…

============================================================

24/ 04/ 03

Diary,

Sally’s email got me thinking (I know - scary thought). She suggested that my instantaneous phasing might be linked to the time I nearly phased myself through time back at Versailles over a year ago.

You remember the time…where I saw Guy and tried to talk to him? Maybe I nearly did instantaneously phase then. I saw the image back in time of when Guy visited the palace in the 1700’s and then I tried to go into that time frame.

At dinner in the Caf last night I tried to ask my friends who were there about it. I was sitting at the table with Zack, Peter, Pat, Nelson as we were eating sushi.

I love the lengths this school will go to, to keep up with the multiculturalism etc. We even had chopsticks and little bowls next to our plates for the soy sauce and wasabi. We picked up the little nori rolls with our chopsticks, dipped them in the soy sauce and wasabi, then put them in our mouths. Everyone else was doing this, except Peter, who was doing his ‘fuck this multicultural shit’ routine and using his hands to just shove the food into his over-sized mouth.

“Hey guys? Do you remember the time in Versailles when I kind of fainted in the garden?” I began.

“Oh no…” Pat sighed.

“Not this shit again.” Peter glared.

“Here we go.” Nelson rolled her eyes.

“What ‘shit’ again?” I asked defensively.

“I shouldn’t have asked you that question in your room the other day. You’ve been so good. You hadn’t brought him up in ages.” Nelson shook her head.

“Oh Guy! I love you Guy!” Peter put on a sarcastic, cartoon voice.

“Look, this isn’t about that!” I snapped.

“OK then, what’s up?” Zack asked.

“Look, this briefly touches upon Guy, but it’s not specifically about Guy. It’s about what nearly happened.” I said quickly.

“I love you Elisha… I’ll sail across time for you Elisha…” Peter continued in the cartoon voice, then he put on a camp accent and started to sing, “in the Navy…” by YMCA.

“Look, just shut up you loser!” I yelled. This caused a few other people at the surrounding tables turn and look. I lowered my voice to continue, “when you found me in the gardens, I wanted to know if I looked like I had phased, or nearly phased. Did I look see-through?”

“No.” Zack answered. “You were just lying there on the ground. That’s it.”

“Why do you want to know?” Pat now asked.

“I’m trying to learn how to phase instantaneously with out mirrors or windows or anything.” I told them.

I was about to explain my extra-curricular activities with Dr. Myles when Peter cut me off.

“Oh of course, it’s another, ‘I’M ELISHA AND I’M MORE SPECIAL THAN THE REST OF YOU.’”

“Fuck this.” I shook my head and got up to leave.

I went back to my room and put on some loud music. I felt so angry! Why does Peter have to be such a dickhead? Why does he have to hang around all the time? Why can’t he detach himself from Zack and go hang with someone else?

I sat on my desk chair, spinning around and listening to the Trance that was blaring out of my speakers. The music was so loud, that I didn’t hear anyone knocking at my door. So I got a surprise when Zack opened my door a little, enough to stick his head through.

“Can I come in?” he asked.

“Oh! Sorry!” I quickly got up and turned down the volume.

He came into my room and closed the door again behind himself.

“I couldn’t say this in front of everyone else back there.” he started. “But I thought you should know. It’s related to your question.”

“Yeah?” I waited to hear what he wanted to say.

“I was following you that day, in the gardens of Versailles.” He confessed.

“Oh.” I said, as I didn’t know what else to say. I mean, what do you say when your ‘ex’ exhibits stalker behavior? I wasn’t that angry, for some reason this action of his didn’t particularly surprise me. “And?”

“I saw you sitting on the bench under the tree. Then I saw you stand up and I saw you start to yell and wave your arms, like you were trying to get somebody’s attention.” Zack narrated.

“Uh huh.” I already knew all of this.

“And – and - and when you were doing this, you looked kind of funny.”

“How ‘kind of funny’?”

“You didn’t look see-through, but you definitely looked brighter.”

“What do you mean?” I asked interested, sitting on my bed.

Zack came to sit beside me, “you looked like you were glowing, like you were getting brighter and brighter. You know when people see us phase, not only do we look see-through, but bright? Well, you didn’t look see-through, but you did look bright.”

“Wow…” I looked away to stare at my desk. I very nearly did instantaneously phase… cool!

“So what were you gonna say before Peter interrupted?”

“Oh nothing.” I tried to shrug it off.

“No, really. I wanna know.” Zack urged.

“Well, you know how every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have extra classes with Dr. Myles?”

“Yeah?”

“They’re special self defense classes. I’m trying to learn how to instantaneously phase so if somebody tried to shoot me, or throw a spear, or even punch me? It will just go straight through.” I told him.

“For real?” he asked interestedly but then he looked confused. “Why aren’t we all getting taught this stuff?”

“Some of it will come up in our class soon. Like, if we get wet, we’ll be taught that when we phase, we’ll be able to cross over dry. We’ll learn how to differentiate the water particles from our own. It’s the same with shooting. If we get shot, when we go into phase, we can phase the bullet out of us." I explained.

“OK, but why we aren’t we taught the other stuff like you are?” Zack repeated. I must have looked uncomfortable, which must have given Zack his answer. “So they’re right. You will be one of the strongest Circulators.” He said softly.

I still didn’t respond, as I stared at my feet. I was waiting for him to start making fun of me like Peter or Nelson do. I know I do some pretty stupid things sometimes and I stick out for it? But on this occasion, I wished I wasn’t different. I wished I could have been like everyone else in my class.

“I always thought you were special. From the very first time I saw you in Dr. Knight’s Math class, I thought to myself, ‘I bet this girl is going to be special’. It feels good to be right.” He put his hand over mine.

“I’m not special, I’m just the retard who tried to kill herself! I’m so stupid, I even jumped in a river!” I tried to laugh it off, while trying to inconspicuously take my hand back. But Zack wouldn’t let go.

“Look Elisha, I just want you to know that at anytime you need to talk, I’m here, OK?” he tried to meet my eyes, but I kept staring at the floor. So he took my chin and turned my face to his. “I know you still feel alone. Everyone’s noticed how you’ve been a lot quieter since you broke up with this Guy. You hole up here in your room a lot, instead of going to library with us all, or you go swimming alone. Even though you hide it, we all know about the dress you keep under your bed.”

My face turned bright red! They ALL know? They know I kept the dress from India with the huge stain of Guy’s blood on the front? How embarrassing!

I quickly stood up to walk away. “That’s it, now I’ve really got to start locking my door all the time!”

Zack stood up too and came over. “It’s OK, you’re lonely and people do some weird shit when they’re getting over a break up.”

I think my face was still red as I started pacing up and down my tiny room.

“How many people know? Does everyone know? What do you mean by, ‘we all know’?” I asked anxiously.

Zack grabbed my waist to stop the pacing. “Look, forget I mentioned it.”

“Who knows?!” I yelled.

“Elisha, calm down! I think you’re overreacting!”

“Why do people always look at me and what I do? I mean, why don’t they ever look at Nelson and the way she treats people? Or what about Peter? Now he’s an arsehole and a half! And you, what about you?! You’re not exactly normal yourself!” I accused.

Zack let go and turned to leave when I realized I just hit a bullseye.

“Zack I’m sorry!” I quickly called as he opened the door to let himself out.

But it was too late and he was gone, with a very loud SLAM!!!

============================================================


*Smile* Author notes *Smile*

Thanks so much for reading 'Circulating Chapter 1' and I hope you enjoyed. If this has enticed you to read more, click on 'View onaya3's Portfolilo' as I will be posting the first ten chapters here on Writing.Com.

The Circulate Series
Circulate © K.R. Smith, 1st ed. 2005.
ISBN: 978-0-646-53776-4
Scent © K.R. Smith, 2010.
ISBN: 978-0-646-53730-6
Paperback Novels available at: http://stores.lulu.com/onaya3
eBook Novels available at: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/onaya3

Find me on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Circulate-Series-By-KR-Smith/222260061814?ref=ts
© Copyright 2008 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463569-Circulating-Chapter-1