*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467225-The-Night-Wanderer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1467225
A story pertaining to the creation of Noctivagus
How it all got started...
By Noctivagus
A black wolf silently stalked through the forest, seeking out his favorite prey. Ahead, he could hear, as well as smell, a rabbit. It was a female, and by the scent of her she was in heat. In his opinion that was when they tasted the best, and when they were the most fun. When they were in heat they always seemed to struggle the hardest, and they always came up with the most interesting offers to save themselves. Oh yes, she would be wonderful.
He sneaked forward, more silent than a gust of wind, approaching a clearing where the rabbit was casually nibbling on some clover. She was a beautiful specimen, solid white, a bit pudgy, lovely blue eyes, and her paws. Oh her paws looked marvelous, they were soft, and well taken care of, and she smelled of berries. Just watching her was making his mouth water. He tensed his legs, preparing to pounce. Just before he sprang there was a loud boom and a blinding light. He was no longer hidden, for the area around the clearing had been devastated. The leaves had been blown from the trees, and the bushes had all been uprooted.
Slowly rising to his feet, the wolf walked into the clearing, over to where his prey had been only moments ago, finding only a pile of ash. “There goes my meal,” he said, scattering the ash with a kick, just as a gentle wind blew, taking the rabbits remains with it. She, at least, would not be present for the horror that suddenly appeared.
It was a being unlike any he had every seen. It didn't seem to even quite exist, for he could almost see the forest through its body and, though it gave off its own powerful light, and crackled with energy not of this world, it did not have any scent. In fact, the only constant about it was a green coat, with blue flames along the edges of the sleeves and bottom which came down to its knees, or at least where its knees would be. Slowly it turned, and seemed to look right at the wolf, who fell over backwards, trying very hard to get away but making very little progress.
“Wha- what do you want?” The wolf asked, cowering on the ground before the being which had suddenly appeared, and vaporized his prey. He knew that whatever this creature was, he was very powerful, and certainly not the sort of creature one wanted to anger.
“You don't know it yet, wolf, but you are me. Or at least you will be, soon enough” The being said, raising his arms before the cowering wolf, lightning crackling in his eyes. Slowly, he reached down and grasped the wrists of the wolf, energy arcing between the two of them. The wolf tried to back away, terrified, yet he was unable to. It was as if some force beyond any he had yet faced in all his days was rooting him to the ground. He wasn't even able to pull away as their arms met and a brilliant light filled the forest.
The wolf could feel this being, forcing its way into him, like molten hot lava and the icy bite of winter's chill together. What was worse, though, was that he could feel himself being absorbed by it, his very soul being taken apart and consumed, inch by inch, as his body was taken from him. This creature had no desire to bond with him, it simply wanted his body, the husk that would remain once it had eaten his soul. The last thought he had, while he still existed, was of the rabbit, and how she would have tasted had he gotten to her. Then he was gone, and only the being remained.
When the light finally faded a lone figure stood in the middle of a scorched patch of land, looking skyward with a wicked grin upon his face. It was the wolf, but he was, different, somehow, he seemed more... dangerous. The beings coat now rested upon his shoulders, and his eyes were filled with a powerful otherworldly glow, just as the creature's had been. “Now, we are as we were meant to be. Now, we are one, Noctivagus,” the wolf said, looking down at his hands. With a sweeping gesture he tore a hole into the void and he stepped through. There was much work to be done, now that he was complete, but that was for another time. Now he needed to rest, and become more familiar with the first physical form he had. It would take time, after all, for him to be able to control this form well enough to conquer all of existence.
© Copyright 2008 Noctivagus (noctivagus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467225-The-Night-Wanderer