*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473114-She-visits-700-words
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest · #1473114
Flashfiction for site ID #1409861 Sept 12-19th
The Visitor

Looking through the window at the azure sky, Elaine shook her head in disbelief. The silver leaves of an ancient olive tree were curling as the summer heat took its toll. It was going to be blisteringly hot again today.   


Her sister was coming from England. While she and Margret were as close as sisters could be, there was this unspoken rivalry between them about their houses. On the phone last night Margret had been bragging about her new extension but Elaine couldn't help feeling that an extension, no matter how big, just didn't measure up to a second home in Spain.


She had taken time over Margret’s room, setting lilac-scented CANDLES next to a ROPE-wrapped lamp. There were new rugs and freshly-laundered curtains. She paused to admire her handiwork. Margret would have to be impressed.


Her husband Charlie, was working in the outside storeroom. As she opened the door, she was met by a cloud.

  “What are you doing?” she said.

  “Don’t come in.” 

A moment later Charlie appeared, caked in dust.

  “What’s going on?”

  “We need more room for storage, so I thought I’d just dig the back out a bit,” he said, trying to hide the pickaxe.


When they first viewed the house, they hadn’t realised it was a CAVE house, with the rear portion built into the rock. Although the property had been newly refurbished with a large pool and every modern convenience, Elaine hadn’t been convinced. After all, what would Margret say about her buying a cave? In the end, the fact that concrete and brick villas needed air conditioning during the summer when the cave house was comfortably cool without it, won the argument. It also meant that when they wanted more space, all they needed was a pickaxe. 


  “Don’t forget about Pedro delivering the drawers for the bedroom,” she reminded him. “You know where they go?”

  “Yes,” Charlie answered gruffly. “Next to the wardrobe. Don’t worry. Go and get Margret.”

Sighing, Elaine collected her handbag and car keys. Margret’s plane was on time and in less than  two hours she was on her way back. The return journey went quickly as she and Margret caught up on family gossip.  Parking on the driveway, Margret got out, obviously impressed by the view.

  “That’s quite a drop,” she said pointing to the steep gorge next to the road.
 
Then she glanced up the mountain, taking in the house, the garden and the pool area. Elaine had hoped for a “Wow, isn’t that nice?” but she was disappointed.

  “It’s certainly hot,” was all Margret could say.

  “Let's get inside, “ Elaine said through gritted teeth, “It’ll be cooler.” 

Inside they walked in silence over hand-made tiles and past marble bathrooms.  Elaine led the way. At the bedroom door, she stood aside to let Margret enter.

  “This is your room. The bathroom’s next ….”

That’s where it all stopped.   


She noticed the dust, swiftly followed by the grit underfoot as Margret walked across the room.

  “Oh, you’re back,” Charlie said standing up.

Elaine’s glance took in the rubble, the chisel and the holes in the wall.

  “The drawers aren’t coming, so I thought I’d make some alcoves instead.” 
 
He looked so proud. With a small, condescending smile Margret’s finger etched a dark line in the dust. Elaine was mortified. All her hard work ruined! No wonder her sister looked so smug. 

  “I’ll get a duster,” she blurted.

She was furious. Heels clicked on tiles as she strode rapidly through the house. Heading for the storeroom she grabbed the pickaxe. Incensed, she marched down the driveway, crossing the road before heaving the thing into the gorge. She watched it bouncing end over end.   

Back at the house, Margret was waiting for her. She half-expected her to say something sarcastic. Instead she took her arm and gave it a squeeze.

  “Linny, don’t worry. Let me give you a hand.”   

Elaine suddenly realised she was right. She wanted to enjoy her sister’s company, not be angry with her over a spoilt surprise.

  “What about a cup of tea first?”

They were chatting in the kitchen when Charlie came in scratching his head.

  “I can’t find …….”

Oops.

698 words
© Copyright 2008 Alan Philps (anglophile at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473114-She-visits-700-words