*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473255-To-The-Christian-Vote--Why-Republican
Rated: E · Other · Political · #1473255
How would Jesus vote? Maybe not what you think.
Four years ago I was asked by a woman in my church, "Who did you vote for?" Without giving me a moment to answer she continued. "You did vote for Bush, after all he is Republican."

Well, that got me thinking, Why do many Christians believe you have to vote Republican. (This includes many in my family) The two main issues that are normally stated are abortion and homosexuality. I understand that the Old Testament condemns homosexuality and so does the book of Romans. Abortion is never outright condemned, but Christians to believe that life is precious and shouldn't be ended "prematurely" by man. God gives life and only God should take it. (Which makes me wonder why most Christians back the death penalty.) It is curious to look at what Jesus says and that he never mentions either of those subjects even though they were happening in his day. Do you think Jesus thought they weren't all that important of issues?

Furthermore, will McCain nor Obama do anything to stop abortion or prevent people from being homosexuals? (like that's possible)

What about the other issues? What about the poor? Jesus often talked about taking care of the poor. What about health care? Is that taking care of the poor? Which party really takes care of the poor people in this country?

What about creation? (the environment) Who passes better legislation or repeals it? Do Christians know which administrations have done the most good or harm for God's Earth? Or do they both give in to big business and screw creation?

Is not education important to Christians? Is mandating "No child left behind" good or bad? Do you just guess or are you involved in education?

How about the war? I understand defending your country, but isn't Jesus the "Prince of Peace?" I also understand defending the weak and helping your neighbor, but is that being accomplished? So, which party will do what is right?

Jesus often spoke about the dangers of wealth and power. Are our candidates above this, or corrupted by this? Does either party do anything without consulting the people who gave them the Money to run?

On this note, what about the deficit? Are we voting for candidates that promote being responsible with our money or those that promote spending more than what we have and running up our governments credit cards and loans?

What about purity and honesty? Does either party promote this? In my lifetime (40 years) there has been political scandals and corruption associated with every administration. (except maybe Ford) Watergate, Iran Contra, Monica Lewinsky, Spygate to name some of the bigger ones.

Can a person truly say that one party is more Godly than another? Everyone of our presidents has claimed to be a Christian, whether from the Democratic, Republican, Federalist or Whig party.

In the past 40 years we have had a Republican president 28 years and a Democrat 12. Is our country more “Godly” or "Christian" because of the leadership of Nixon, Ford, Reagan, or either Bush's? During the Clinton and Carter years, did we become less Godly?

So I ask, why should a Christian vote only Republican? What do you think?
© Copyright 2008 Andres Adelphos (russell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473255-To-The-Christian-Vote--Why-Republican