*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473715-Kires-Master
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1473715
Part two of the Story of Kire
Kire’s Master
By: A.N. James

Kire goes to the stables to meet his new master and get his assignment. He was told by Sebalong, the Grand Master Paladin, that his new master was waiting for him in the stables. Upon arrival he finds a Paladin with a crossbow resting on his shoulder conversing with the stable boys. The Paladin notices Kire hovering in the doorway. He says ‘Come in, boy! No need to be hovering in the doorway. My name is Ogram and you must be my new apprentice. Kire is the name, son of Alexander, the Master Wizard, right? I knew your father well.”

“Let’s go to the armory,” says Ogram. Kire notices the crossbow is different from others he has seen and queries Ogram about it.

“Of course, this is different. It is a dragon crossbow! Many dragon slayers use this kind of weapon.” explains Ogram.

Kire asks how he got it since that is not a weapon readily available to just anyone. Ogram explains he was once a dragon slayer before becoming a Paladin. Next, Kire asks why he had changed from a dragon slayer to a Paladin. One time a dragon saved Ogram’s life and he discovered not all dragons are evil. Since then, he has become friends with a few dragons. Some have even helped him in battle.

Upon arrival in the armory, Ogram starts compiling some stuff for Kire. He creates quite a pile of armor and weapons. Kire looks at the pile and asks why he needs so many weapons when he has his father’s sword. Ogram states he will be trained on all kinds of weaponry. Kire tells him that he has already been through knight training and has already used many of these weapons. Ogram hands him a large mace. Kire is expecting something really heavy when he takes it. Instead, the mace is very light. Ogram explains that the weapons are enchanted. As Ogram had been piling them up he was making them attuned to Kire’s aura. This is so that Kire can get use to the armor and weapons.

Ogram and Kire train with the enchanted weapons for many months. Kire learned quickly that his knight training did him very little help as these weapons were nothing like what he was used to. Ogram had to teach Kire to put more strength into hitting the target than into lifting the weapon. During the course of this training, Ogram explained much of the life of a Paladin. However he didn’t talk much about Kire’s father. This bothered Kire. One day, Kire and Ogram were taking a day of rest, enjoying the countryside. Kire asked Ogram about his father and asked why he hadn’t mentioned him in all these months. “Well”, Ogram explains, “I figured you would want to know more about the life you are getting into rather than dwelling on the past. Your father was a good man and a great warrior. That is all you need to know.”

Kire asks, “But why did he really leave?”

“I’m not sure I’m the one to answer that”, Ogram replies. “Now please let’s enjoy the rest of the day together”. It was clear to Kire that he wasn’t going to get any answers out of Ogram about his father. Ogram seemed set on living for today and looking forward to the future.

The next day, Ogram approached Kire early in the morning. “Let’s go. We are needed at this mill just outside Stormreach City. Bring your father’s sword.”

“But my father’s sword hasn’t been used in more than 25 years”, replied Kire.

“Just do as I ask”, said Ogram.

Kire did as Ogram asked. He puts on his armor and readies for battle. Before leaving his room, he straps on his father’s sword. Ogram grabs a few more weapons needed for the battle. The two men set off at once for the mill.

When they arrive at the mill, all seems quiet and serene. “Well,” said Kire, “we’re here. Now what?”

“We wait. I have been told that undead have taken over the mill. We are here to cleanse the mill of the undead scourge infesting it”, said Ogram.

Suddenly, the sky goes dark and skeletons start popping out of the ground everywhere. This startles Kire who jumps into action drawing his father’s sword by instinct. Ogram pulls out an enchanted mace.

Kire struggles to thwart the skeletons. His father’s sword just didn’t seem to be strong enough. He would stab at a skeleton and nothing would happen. Ogram, then, hands Kire an enchanted sword saying, “Here try this.”

The enchanted sword did the job. Kire went around slashing one skeleton after another. Ogram made attempts to help Kire when he needed it but this was mostly about Kire.


After the last skeleton vanished, Ogram found Kire slumped under a tree trying to catch his breath. Kire saw Ogram approaching him and said, “Man, that was tough.”

Ogram helped Kire to his feet saying, “But you made it through.”

Kire asked, “Through what?”

Ogram pulls a whistle out of his pocket and blows on it. At once, a young wizard appears out of nowhere. Kire is confused but before he could say anything Ogram speaks.

“This is Rednaxela, a friend of the Order of Light and your father’s last apprentice. I wanted to test you for all the training we have been going through for the last few months and he was more than gracious to help.”

“You mean this was just a test? Those skeletons weren’t real?” asks Kire.

“Yes, this was just a test. The skeletons were real just not evil. They were magically bound together and animated to appear evil”, replies Ogram, “Thanks for your help, Red. Now, Kire, hand me your father’s sword.”

Kire does as he is told. Ogram, then, turns to Rednaxela and says, “Do the honors, Red.” Kire is dumbstruck, not understanding what Ogram is asking Rednaxela to do.
Just then, Rednaxela waves an odd-looking amulet over the sword. The sword glows with ancient runes engraved on the sword. Kire is still confused. Ogram hands the sword to Kire saying, “The ancient enchantments on this sword had been laid to rest and are now reawakened. You can now use this sword to its fullest extent of its power which means you can now destroy the souls of the Evil Dark just as your father once did.”

Kire takes the sword and thanks Ogram for being such a patient master. Ogram says, “I was once in your shoes and I know what you’ve been through. Any time you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to send for me.”

The next morning, Kire awoke to find Ogram gone. Kire returns to the Order of the Light and asks Sebalong what he is to do next. Sebalong tells him to come back tomorrow to meet his first companion, a monk.

© Copyright 2008 A.N. James (pirateking2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473715-Kires-Master