*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478108-Salohcin-the-Monk
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1478108
Part 3 of the story of Kire
Salohcin, the Monk
By: A.N. James

Kire returns to the Order just as Sebalong told him. Sebalong tells him the monk refused to join him. The monk says Kire is too barbaric. Kire wants to prove himself to the monk. He finds out the monk, known as Salohcin, is meditating in the Sacred Tower on Mt Selrahc.

He starts to make the long climb to the top of Mt Selrahc when he meets up with an old man named Sal. Sal asks for his assistance getting to the Sacred Tower. Kire gives his help to the old man as he was taught at a young age to respect and help his elders. They travel all day and stop for the night. Sal is resting while Kire gets a fire going and unpacks some food. Kire discovers that Sal did not have anything to eat so he divides up his food and offers half to Sal. Sal gratefully takes the offering.

Next morning Kire finds Sal has dead. He packs everything up and heaves Sal thin body over his shoulder to complete the climb to the Sacred Tower. Upon arrival, Kire gives Sal’s body over to the monks there for burial. The monks provide Kire a room for the night. Upon awakening he goes to Sal’s grave to say good-bye when he finds no body! Next to the grave he finds a young man meditating and he appears to be wearing the same clothes that Sal had on the previous day.

Kire draws his sword demanding to know who he is and what he is doing just sitting there in Sal’s clothes. The young man says ‘let me introduce myself. I am Salohcin or better known as Sal. Boy, you passed the test. I will work with you’. Kire has a confused look on his face. ‘What test?’ Kire demands as he puts his sword away. Sal says he showed respect to the elderly by helping him up the mountain. This is not the actions of a berserkers. Taking his dead body up to the temple monks for burial showed respect for the dead. A berserkers does not respect a dead body nor does he respect the elderly. A berserkers only respects one thing and that is power and force. They do not even respect themselves or their own kin. berserkers do not have honor.

Kire is puzzled. How could this be? He questions, ‘how can you be alive when I saw you buried yesterday? I carried your dead body the day before yesterday. You were an old man - weak and crippled!’

Sal stands up and says ‘follow me.’ He goes inside the Sacred Tower and climbs to the top of the tower. They enter a room at the top of the tower. There are pictographs all around the room. It seems to tell a story and the main character appears to be Sal. Sal explains that he is the guardian of the Sacred Tower and all it represents. Kire looks at the pictures trying to understand the story.

The story appears to be like that of the Phoenix bird. Sal dies then comes back to life again over and over. Sal explains that his destiny is to protect the Sacred Tower and the traditions of Order of the White Phoenix, a group of knights predating the Order of Light.

Kire notices a large book in the center of the room titled the Book of Prophecy. Kire tries to open it, but Sal slams it shut and tell Kire to touch nothing. He is not ready for such knowledge that is in the Book of Prophecy. Then they go downstairs to get some supplies and be on their way.

They make the long climb down and spend the night at the foot of the mountain. Next day finds them making camp in a large dense forest. They awaken to the sounds of the animals in the woods. It is a reassuring sound as they know there is no danger lingering. About mid-day, Kire notices the sounds of the woods have gone silent. He glances at Sal who shakes his head. They both know someone has been trailing them. All of a sudden, they find themselves surrounded by bandits. It is an ambush! As Kire reaches for his sword, Sal says ‘No!’ sharply. ‘I will handle this!’

Sal twirls his staff and then slams it to the ground where it sticks up. He starts swirling his arms very quickly and they appear to have a blue glow around them. He appears to jab the air and a blue fist hits several of the bandits knocking them to the ground. He pulls several more jabs and more bandits fall unconscious to the ground. The last couple of bandits try to run away and escape, Sal appears to be concentrating and a branch from a tree in their path appears to be pulled back then swings forward hitting the two escaping bandits across their middles flinging them back on the butts.

Sal stands bows and tells Kire to tie up the bandits and someone should be along to take charge of them. Sal retrieves his staff and watches Kire as he ties up the bandits. Kire requests that Sal teach him to do that as he has never seen that kind of magic. Sal says it takes many lifetimes to learn the art of Zen and Zang. Kire says, “What is that?” Sal replies it is the magic of the immortals.

Sal says there are other things that Kire needs to learn first. There are people who come into your life for a purpose. It is Sal’s purpose in Kire’s life to teach him something that he has forgotten. That will be the first step to enlightenment.

Kire asks, “How long until I reach enlightenment?”

Sal replies, “It is different for each individual but normally it takes most people a many lifetimes.”

Kire asks Sal, “Where are we going?”

“Stormreach city, why?” replies Sal.

“Just curious.” said Kire.

Several hours pass by; with a burning question eating at Kire all along was answered before he even had a chance to ask it.

Sal said, “Boy, I will answer your question. The reason we are going to Stormreach is to talk to your grandfather.”

“What do we need to talk with my Grandpop about? What knowledge does he have that he has not already passed along to me?” queries Kire.

Sal just gives Kire a look that says ‘wait and see’.

They are nearing the gates of Stormreach and can see the tops of the citadel. Suddenly, Sal stops and stands as if in deep meditation. He comes out of his trance, gives a nod and starts walking again.

A guard at the gates stops Sal requesting his business here in Stormreach. Kire comes up behind Sal and is recognized by the guard. Kire says Sal is with him and they are allowed into the city by order of the king.
© Copyright 2008 A.N. James (pirateking2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478108-Salohcin-the-Monk