*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477044-Fractured-Genisis-Prelude
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1477044
A short backstory for an RPG world I've been working on.
Fractured: Genesis prelude

As the 20th century came to and end, humanity was marching slowly and inexorably
toward advanced technology. The 21st century began, and things were not so different at first.
The masses of humanity were still being deceived by petty conflict, hunger,overcrowding, and a bustling entertainment industry. The various world governments were still stockpiling secrets, hiding them safely away from each-other. Little did the earth know it would soon be united under horrific common cause.

Late in the year 2008, The first of the Disappearances were reported across the globe. At first, it was few,but as the year progressed and ended, the disappearances were becoming much more widespread. Investigations were attempted, and inevitably failed. As more people were found missing, an alarming number of paranormal sightings were reported, beings with large white wings and in contrast, beings with reddish skin tones and distinct horns.Although many of these sightings were dismissed by skeptics as a "sign of the times".
Things progressed this way until mid-summer of the next year, then the disappearances changed in scale to seemingly biblical proportions. Even more unusual, another heavenly body appeared in the sky, dubbed "Gods Wrath" by religious zealots, this second moon played havoc on earths climate, killing people by the thousands. An emergency coalition between the remaining nations was formed, and the facts that the governments had known since the start came to light; This was not biblical, people were being abducted by unknown alien entities. The new "Moon" was in fact a base of operations.

The now very much diminished masses of humanity were stunned, but not for long. Now that the remaining governments were working together,massive amounts of secret and hidden technology were coming to light, humanity would defend itself. Many insisted that the last vestiges of humanity go to war directly, heroically fighting off the invaders and winning freedom, much like many of the science fiction movies of the time. The world leaders were not so stupid as to risk human life anymore, and soon a less life intensive plan was proposed.
The "Robotic Defense Initiative" bill was voted on, and passed.

The "RDI" as it came to be called was a proposal consisting of combining all of the previously hoarded technology into a single military group, led by the best human minds, consisting of automated mainframe command units, and robotic remote-controlled weapons platforms. The RDI mainframe was created and given the highest level of artifical intelligence available to humanity. The mainframe was also given all available resources to accomplish its goal, including automated resource gathering and advanced renewable power sources. One goal was programmed above all else. "Protect Human Life".

The RDI quickly grew in power while human-kind hid away. The RDI mainframe was considered a flop at first, when no major changes were made in the first year after it was developed. The RDI had spent this time studiously, gathering intelligence on these alien races flaws and weaknesses. Swarms of stealthy expendable salvage droids swarmed all over the ruined cities, picking and tearing apart whatever was useful and creating new weapons platforms and droids by the millions. Suddenly, two years after its creation, the RDI struck. Every alien base on earth was completely decimated in a matter of hours. Human survivors of these bases were widespread. With the alien threat on Earth neutralized, only one more threat remained. "Gods Wrath". The RDI had determined that "Gods Wrath" was indeed an alien base, but more importantly, it was the source of every alien vessel that appeared in earth-space, functioning as a portal. The RDI launched its final attack, using all of the resources previously gathered by humanity, "Gods Wrath" was completely destroyed.

The intelligence of the RDI was not complete, though. Gods wrath, lacking the technology that kept the portal in check , Imploded violently, spewing mass amounts of alien particles, elements, and radiation into our dimension. This influx of alien materials changed the world forever Having fulfilled its primary function, the RDI Mainframe turned to rebuilding its drone workers, leaving humanity to its own, now primitive, devices.

© Copyright 2008 Zengazu (zengazu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477044-Fractured-Genisis-Prelude